TM MWS alternatives - is there anything else worth considering?

Haligonian

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know there is a mws thread but wanted to ask all users. 

It seems almost everyone recommends the TM MWS as the go to gbbr so just wanted to ask why anyone would buy another brand?

My use case- purely for collection, I probably won't ever play. I want the tactile feel of an M4, bolt lock, charging, teardown etc. Trades are a must. Rs weight/feel/finish. As close to RS as possible without spending vipertech money. I will be plinking in the garden with it so want it to work reliably. Don't really plan on tinkering with internals.

I've owned a kwa lm4 and it was pretty sweet, but practically no resources on how to adjust or do anything to it, not that anything went wrong with it. I kind of regret selling it tbh as it was cheap and fun.

Looking at the tm mws m4a1 carbine which is about £450 at the minute. 

Thanks for your input!

Edited by Haligonian

• Haligonian changed the title to TM MWS alternatives - is there anything else worth considering?
1 hour ago, JimFromHorsham said:

have a read 👌🏼

Thank you, thank looks very tasty indeed! Although, I'm looking for a bit more nostalgia as I used to use a c8 in my army days. Looks like you rate it quite highly so will certainly be considered. 

12 minutes ago, Haru said:

mws is known for its performance not realism you could probably just get a WE if its just for a wall hanger, GHK and VFC are more known for realism

I thought the mws, with its  1:1 scale and trades was a bit more on the realism side? (compared to their smaller mp7, for eg). 

I will definitely be cycling rounds through it so not just for hanging so do still want it to work reliably. Thanks

As someone who’s owned a few different manufacturers GBB M4’s at one time or another over the years, for me Tokyo Marui is the one to go for. I’m very similar to you in that mine are collection pieces, with a few rounds put through them every now and again. Therefore, looks and feel are more important than performance and Tokyo Marui cannot be beaten. The Cerakote finish is spot on and it just feels right. Both weight and quality are top notch. Also, the performance is better than most. There’s also plenty of upgrades available. Personally I’d leave the internals alone, other than an Angry Gun heavy buffer and HAO steel bolt end to increase the felt recoil if you want more recoil. If it’s only going to be lightly used, the extra pressure from the heavy buffer and bolt end shouldn’t cause to much of a problem. I’ve had no problems with any of mine so far, (touch wood). There’s loads of external options as well. Rail upgrades and the like. As far as other manufacturers go:

WE - Decent enough products, cheaper than TM, but if you want trademarks you’ll either have to buy from Asia and hope there’s no issues with customs, or buy a trademarked lower receiver and switch the blank lower out.

VFC - Difficult to get hold of a VFC M4A1 these days although MK18’s, XM177’s and the 733 are available. But, it just doesn’t feel as nice as the TM. I love VFC stuff and their internal build quality is much better than it was, but I prefer a TM.

GHK - If it’s a standard M4A1 you’re after, you’ll end up with one with Navy SEAL markings on the receiver instead of Colt trademarks. They now do the URG-I version and the MK18 which both have Colt trades, but, by all accounts, GHK’s quality control isn’t as good as it was.

Golden Eagle - I’ve not had any experience with. I think they may have plastic receivers. I may be wrong, but I think that’s the case. Also, I don’t think they have trademarks. 

Double Eagle - I’ve got the Noveske N4 and it is nice. Comes with TM style internals. But, I don’t think they do an M4A1 and I’ve not had a good enough look over it to judge the quality of the internals. The externals look great though. 

For me, personally, if I’m planning a build, I’ll go for a TM if I know the parts I need are available. If you’re after a GBB that feels great out of the box, that you can just unbox and manipulate and be happy with, but also upgrade if you want, I think you can’t go wrong with the TM. (And no, I don’t work for TM. 😉)

Edited by Super64

3 hours ago, Super64 said:

As someone who’s owned a few different manufacturers GBB M4’s at one time or another over the years, for me Tokyo Marui is the one to go for. I’m very similar to you in that mine are collection pieces, with a few rounds put through them every now and again. Therefore, looks and feel are more important than performance and Tokyo Marui cannot be beaten. The Cerakote finish is spot on and it just feels right. Both weight and quality are top notch. Also, the performance is better than most. There’s also plenty of upgrades available. Personally I’d leave the internals alone, other than an Angry Gun heavy buffer and HAO steel bolt end to increase the felt recoil if you want more recoil. If it’s only going to be lightly used, the extra pressure from the heavy buffer and bolt end shouldn’t cause to much of a problem. I’ve had no problems with any of mine so far, (touch wood). There’s loads of external options as well. Rail upgrades and the like. As far as other manufacturers go:

WE - Decent enough products, cheaper than TM, but if you want trademarks you’ll either have to buy from Asia and hope there’s no issues with customs, or buy a trademarked lower receiver and switch the blank lower out.

VFC - Difficult to get hold of a VFC M4A1 these days although MK18’s, XM177’s and the 733 are available. But, it just doesn’t feel as nice as the TM. I love VFC stuff and their internal build quality is much better than it was, but I prefer a TM.

GHK - If it’s a standard M4A1 you’re after, you’ll end up with one with Navy SEAL markings on the receiver instead of Colt trademarks. They now do the URG-I version and the MK18 which both have Colt trades, but, by all accounts, GHK’s quality control isn’t as good as it was.

Golden Eagle - I’ve not had any experience with. I think they may have plastic receivers. I may be wrong, but I think that’s the case. Also, I don’t think they have trademarks. 

Double Eagle - I’ve got the Noveske N4 and it is nice. Comes with TM style internals. But, I don’t think they do an M4A1 and I’ve not had a good enough look over it to judge the quality of the internals. The externals look great though. 

For me, personally, if I’m planning a build, I’ll go for a TM if I know the parts I need are available. If you’re after a GBB that feels great out of the box, that you can just unbox and manipulate and be happy with, but also upgrade if you want, I think you can’t go wrong with the TM. (And no, I don’t work for TM. 😉)

Thanks so much dude, pretty much what I was thinking too after much research.

I've only been hands on with the TM MWS and, echoing most thoughts above, the finish, feel and performance is tremendous. If you're not going to skirmish it though, you may be better looking elsewhere. 

You mention breaking the rifle down, and for that, the MWS internals don't tick the realism box. TM designed a performance-based proprietary system for the trigger box (the Zet system) which looks nothing like a real trigger group.

I know GHK internals look more realistic, but haven't seen inside the VFC offerings. VFC externals are great and, if you go the HK416 route of M4-type gats, they are officially licensed, so trades are bob-on. I also understand VFC internals are way better than they were, so will be more than fine for a spot of backyard plinking or if you do decide to take it onto a game site. GHK however seem to be on a downward spiral in the QC department, but others can probably provide personal experience instead of me spreading rumours. 

If you are plinking go with the GHK.

Swap the valve out to a Co2 one, get yourself a Sodastream adapter and direct fill Co2 into the mag (AKA devil hunter mod). Replace the chamber base to steel and drop a M4 carbine buffer spring in. Best recoil I have felt without powder and will empty a mag in FA with snow on the ground like a sowing machine. 

GHK trigger break and reset is very good if a little light (around 3lb) can get after market springs but if only plinking bending the legs of the spring should suffice if you want to change the weight of the trigger.  

If you can build a real AR you can build a GHK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiDD-aCMH84&ab_channel=JeffieJeff'sAirsoft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHyIIuYWMlw&ab_channel=A'jvi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It0o9i7xGnY&ab_channel=TOTALRECOILAIRSOFT

14 hours ago, Haligonian said:

Thanks so much dude, pretty much what I was thinking too after much research.

Too expand, the GHK and VFC have a more realistic trigger mechanism if a ‘true replica’ is what you want.

However if you wanted a GBBR to build into any modern (or old) variant AR imitation visually, and to plink with and strip / rebuild then the MWS is the best platform.

Because it has massive aftermarket support, has less fiddly parts that are likely to break or get lost.

I started on the WA plateform upgrading my Inokatsu Sopmod 2011 (added an AEG PDI barrel, a steel Iron airsoft Hopup chamber, all steel Ra-Tech internals and a 150% G&P trigger spring).

This is still for me the closest airsoft platform to its RS counterpart.

I added maximum RS non-classified parts (handguard, charging handle, Takedown/pivot Pins, etc.)

Today along with my Inokatsu 2011, I have 3 TM MWS AR15, which are the best GBBR plateform IMHO with TONS of upgrade parts.

TM MWS are not the best in term of realism (internals), but in a cosmetic view, they are really great and well designed and finished.

I bought 3 Iron Airsoft receivers kits that are compatible with RS Barrel-nut (for RS Hanguard) and RS Stocks.

An alternative to the TM MWS would be to get a second-hand Vipertech M4 if you need something really close to the RS version. You'll love the internal trigger mecanism, the sound when it's shooting and appreciate manipulating the Vipertech.

Just my two cents,

Edited by Raydee

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.