battery charging and storage

DanBow

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

12 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Sounds like bullshit but if they have set up any sort of voltage level checking in their mosfet they might just refuse to work with anything of too high/low a voltage. My G&G SR25 doesn't like 7.4v LiPos and beeps like mad before deciding not to play. Haven't tried it with a LiFe yet but just an example for you.

Well exactly, it seems a bit odd that that something that falls neatly between 7.4v and 11.1v should not work, as both are supported by the Falcon unit (though I do remember someone having a problem with one or the other, a while back).  I can understand the Nimh perhaps, but surely the voltage detection on a LiFe battery is the same as on LiPo? 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Well exactly, it seems a bit odd that that something that falls neatly between 7.4v and 11.1v should not work, as both are supported by the Falcon unit (though I do remember someone having a problem with one or the other, a while back).  I can understand the Nimh perhaps, but surely the voltage detection on a LiFe battery is the same as on LiPo? 

Yeah, volts are volts. The EFCS can't tell what it's coming from unless it's set up to detect specific voltage ranges as being acceptable. That might form part of its battery protection for example so that it knows not to keep running and deep discharge your battery. In theory it may be possible that they have set two specific levels for that function (ie 7.4 and 11.1) so it can't work out where to stop with a 9.9v battery but that just seems like piss poor design. Oh...wait....airsoft. That'll be what it is.

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Thanks @Sewdhull sadly my old farty brain can't seem to cope with much new information, so that is TMI for me but I guess the takeaway message is that LiFe batteries would be great to use.   

Except (and please correct me if I'm wrong, or indeed the manufacturer is talking bollocks) that Double Eagles witht their Falcon Control Units are specificied as incompatible with LiFe batteries. 
Which rules 'em out for me (as I did go looking a month ago)

It will be the voltage monitoring shutting off the gun that's the issue.

Nominal cell voltage for life is 3.2v Vs 3.6 for most others.

It's worth trying it with a life I think. The cutout for a lipo will be 3v. Life can go lower but the discharge curve is pretty flat.

It depends how sensitive the system is to voltage sag under load.

I just happened to be watching this video...

.. and I noticed the new control unit has support for LiFe batteries.  The commentary mentions 'correct battery voltage detection' 

It's a shame the DEX / DEK guns are a bit 'fuggly' (with apologies to anyone who likes the super-stubby honey badger look), but I think this unit also exists in the AEX 15 (for those who like a futuristic M4 variant)

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread just thought to put my input. I have two 7.24 lipos that have been in storage mode for the past 2-3 years from when I played last using the skyrc charger.

Plugged them in recently and still reading 3.81v per cell on both batteries, charged and discharged fine ready for airsoft next year. My understanding storage mode puts the cells to 3.85v

No bulging in them either, just stayed within a lipo safe bag.

Edited by Caj109

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.