Dynatex 6209 vs Quake 8

c-dawg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi! Just looking at comparisons between the Dynatex 6209 and the Quake 8, can’t find anything online.

I know the quake 8 has one more shot than the 6209, but I’ve heard it’s larger, heavier and less reliable?

Anyone used both and can give some advice?

Edited by c-dawg

Quake 8-way can carry 7x .209 primers in each grenade so you don't have to reload each time. You simply twist the base to each numbered slot and twist to the safe position when finished with it. When I had one I never had an issue with it not going off. Can't speak for the Dynatex offering but given how they're pretty much the same price when new, I know which i'd go for.

If I remember rightly, they also sell spares for the Quake grenades just in case anything breaks.

Edited by MrTea

59 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Quake 8-way can carry 7x .209 primers in each grenade so you don't have to reload each time. You simply twist the base to each numbered slot and twist to the safe position when finished with it. When I had one I never had an issue with it not going off. Can't speak for the Dynatex offering but given how they're pretty much the same price when new, I know which i'd go for.

If I remember rightly, they also sell spares for the Quake grenades just in case anything breaks.

How come you got rid of it? What do you use now?

13 minutes ago, c-dawg said:

How come you got rid of it? What do you use now?

Got tired of A. having to go retrieve it during a game and B. worrying about someone else picking it up.

I have a timed & impact BFG (SWAT VTG and OhShiBoom) but they don't see much use honestly, the impact sees more use simply because it's an impact and catches people off guard. I mostly use paper pyro like Mk5/7 Thunderflashes, EG67s etc. which lets me just throw pyro then carry on as normal. This just means at the start of a game i'm carrying what someone once called a concerning amount of pyro. I have a dangler/scrote pouch on my chest rig that is literally just filled with pyro.

Edited by MrTea

58 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Got tired of A. having to go retrieve it during a game and B. worrying about someone else picking it up.

I have a timed & impact BFG (SWAT VTG and OhShiBoom) but they don't see much use honestly, the impact sees more use simply because it's an impact and catches people off guard. I mostly use paper pyro like Mk5/7 Thunderflashes, EG67s etc. which lets me just throw pyro then carry on as normal. This just means at the start of a game i'm carrying what someone once called a concerning amount of pyro. I have a dangler/scrote pouch on my chest rig that is literally just filled with pyro.

Ahh gotcha, thanks for the replies! Mine hasn’t seen much use yet but already worried about someone else grabbing it. Paper pyro does seem a lot easier.

28 minutes ago, c-dawg said:

Ahh gotcha, thanks for the replies! Mine hasn’t seen much use yet but already worried about someone else grabbing it. Paper pyro does seem a lot easier.

But a hell of a lot more expensive. A 100 box of .209 primers is £10-ish which is £0.10p per bang. Mk5 Thunderflashes are £2.50-£3.50 per (retail price). When you look at EG67s and other pyro, you're talking £5-£7 per. I go through a lot of pyro so it get expensive fast.

There was a thread posted here about some guy getting his TRMR stolen. The thread includes a video of Silo Entertainment (airsoft youtuber) who apparently puts Airtags or similar inside/on his airsoft grenades to track them.

Edited by MrTea

I used to own a 6209. Used the quake 8.

Dynatex any day of the week. They are built better, used by military for training and just keep going. The quakes are a clone of the alphatec hex (which was utter garbage) and had loads of drama around it. Mind you when didn't alpha one have drama around it.

3 hours ago, cropzy said:

I used to own a 6209. Used the quake 8.

Dynatex any day of the week. They are built better, used by military for training and just keep going. The quakes are a clone of the alphatec hex (which was utter garbage) and had loads of drama around it. Mind you when didn't alpha one have drama around it.

Yeah heard dyantex are used for police training and the build just looks more robust. Seen the quake 8 after use and it looks a bit beaten up!

2 hours ago, Krisz said:

Ohsiboom BFG could be an alternative instead of Quake 8 to be honest.

Have seen these as well, with the multi-shot base looks pretty similar. Not sure what’s better between the two.

44 minutes ago, c-dawg said:

Yeah heard dyantex are used for police training and the build just looks more robust. Seen the quake 8 after use and it looks a bit beaten up!

Have seen these as well, with the multi-shot base looks pretty similar. Not sure what’s better between the two.

They do get beat up, it's a chunk of metal you're throwing around after all. The Swat VTG has a rubberised plastic around it and this still picks up nicks/dings when thrown.

The OhShiBooms are nice because they can take 9mm and 12Gauge (if your site allows them). 12Gauge are kinda pointless as 12G blanks are not much louder than 9mm (only difference is pitch in my ears) and give off a puff of smoke vs 9mm blanks which don't. However, they're hilariously expensive compared to .209 and 9mm which makes them extra pointless. There was a guy who used to make 'magflash' 12G blanks which give off a shower of sparks with a flash but he stopped a while ago as far as i'm aware.

Got a 2nd hand Quake 8 recently, its a brilliant easy to use little thing... when it wants to work. It seems a bit 50:50 as to whether itll actually detonate on impact or not, even on hard surfaces its like 75% chance itll detonate, which is less than ideal. 

Ive heard its a fairly common problem with no real fix. Some suggest using the "softer" 615 .209 primer rather than the more common 616 as apparently theyll go off more reliably, Ill give that a try when Ive got through my current pack of 616s and see if it makes any difference.

So on that basis Id probably pick the Dynatex if I was looking to buy one new.

2 hours ago, MrTea said:

There was a guy who used to make 'magflash' 12G blanks which give off a shower of sparks with a flash but he stopped a while ago as far as i'm aware.

I'm guessing site owners and insurers wouldn't allow it due to the increased fire risk. Yes disposable pyro and BFGs can and have started small fires on sites, but when something sends sparks out over a bigger area that risk increases

4 hours ago, Tiercel said:

Ive heard its a fairly common problem with no real fix. Some suggest using the "softer" 615 .209 primer rather than the more common 616 as apparently theyll go off more reliably, Ill give that a try when Ive got through my current pack of 616s and see if it makes any difference.

IIRC they are 'softer' as they have less brisance than 616s.  That gives them lesser/slower ignition qualities, it doesn't effect the ease/force with which they ignite.   They tend to get used in slow ignition big and small bore shotguns.

FWIW this is a brisance rating that I copied years ago, softest to hardest.  If your device favours a particular style of ignition for some reason it may be useful?  Worth noting that the Euro primers are larger in OD than the US primers?  Cheddite are pretty fat compared to Federal for instance.  

1. Rem 209 STS,
2. CCI 209,
3. Winchester 209,
4. Noble Sport 209,
5. Cheddite 209,
6. Fiocchi 209,
7. CCI 209M,
8. Federal 209A.

Edited by Tactical Pith Helmet

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.