Barrel thread types...

gavinkempsell

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Is there a particular reason some barrels have CCW threads & others have CW?

I can understand real steel having CCW threads as I can imagine the rotation of a round leaving the barrel might undo any suppressors, flash hiders etc but why on airsoft rif's?

Do the manufacturers just want the extra adaptor sales or what? 

Most are CCW to make them accurate to their RS counterparts and as such most suppressors etc you’ll find are the same.

Seems odd size / CW threads are manufacturers trying to be either different or deliberately difficult - I’m looking at you TM and the 16mm CW outer barrel on my FNX.

At least there’s plenty of adapters available- I’ve used Lees Precision a couple of times.

Standard AR is 1/2x28tpi , H&K is M15x1 

they are likely different on purpose so airsoft shit doesn’t fit on RS and kill everyone at a range day 😛 

it is most likely due to gun and export laws around the globe . 

2 hours ago, JimFromHorsham said:

different on purpose so airsoft shit doesn’t fit on RS and kill everyone

That's what I heard although I don't know how true it is. Makes sense though

Mind you, there is part of me that thinks if you're dumb enough to use airsoft parts on the pressure bearing bits of a real firearm then you deserve what you get

Edited by Cannonfodder

10 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

That's what I heard although I don't know how true it is. Makes sense though

Mind you, there is part of me that thinks if you're dumb enough to use airsoft parts on the pressure bearing bits of a real firearm then you deserve what you get

yeah I think it a bit of both , probably less on the safety side though and more if you start making parts that are a direct fit to real firearms and are also exporting them  it raises a lot more questions ( especially in strict firearm control countries like Japan , China etc etc ) . 

And yes , stupidity deserves all the awards it attracts .

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.