VFC MP7 Gbb

TomFarrington97

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Evening all,

got myself a VFC MP7 and I’m starting to notice a lot of inconsistencies. I’ll be shooting and all of a sudden 3 or 4 BBs will fall really short or will hop like crazy. I’m also noticing the adjustment it super sensitive and the slightest turn will give me absolutely no hop or way to much. 

For anyone else with one have you experienced this? Does it sound like time for new rubber? Or possibly do I need to up the BB weight, currently using .28s and for the most part they’ve been fine. 

I did get the RIF off here so not sure how many rounds have been through it ect. If new rubber is required does anyone know what the best would be to slap in? Cheers. 

When did it last have a good strip and clean ? but yes a new hop rubber will likely help, be a good chance to check for wear in the hop unit too. 

I generally run Maple leaf rubbers in my GBBR's and pistols. But I cant remember if the mp7 uses standard GBB / VSR rubbers or not , it's been a while since I had mine apart.

Cheers dude, cleaned the barrel last night before game day today and no joy. Maybe I’ll try the rubber, preference on colour? Or is it the same rule of thumb as with AEG so looking at the yellow?

1 hour ago, TomFarrington97 said:

Cheers dude, cleaned the barrel last night before game day today and no joy. Maybe I’ll try the rubber, preference on colour? Or is it the same rule of thumb as with AEG so looking at the yellow?

I normally go with a yellow one 

I had exactly the same issue with mine, until I switched to a different gas with low/no lube in it.  I run Ultrair, which I was under the impression had none, but I’m informed has a small amount (I’ve sprayed it into paper and coffee filters and it didn’t leave any deposits, but who am I to argue with then hive mind?).  

Mine’s stock internally and it shoots extremely consistently at CQB ranges. 

One thing you must do immediately is buy the Crusader steel stock latch as yours will fail.  They all fail, but thankfully it’s about £15 to replace.  Get one now before you have to.

1 hour ago, Duff Beer said:

I had exactly the same issue with mine, until I switched to a different gas with low/no lube in it.  I run Ultrair, which I was under the impression had none, but I’m informed has a small amount (I’ve sprayed it into paper and coffee filters and it didn’t leave any deposits, but who am I to argue with then hive mind?).  

That seemed to me like a very sensible test (I was the one flagging up that Ultrair, according to specs on one site I'd seen it has silicone lube in it.  I'll try to find it.  I don't think I count as the 'hive mind' :D)
So I tried with the three gases at hand to me right now, squirting them each at a sheet of A4 printer paper:

1) Nuprol 1.0 - made the paper wet with the first shot, but that evaporated leaving no residue.  Subsequent squirts didn't do anything to the paper
2) Abbey Predator Ultra - no wetness, no residue

3) Abbey 144a Maintenance Gas - yay! some white film left on paper, evaporated to leave no lasting effect though

So... huh.   Maybe standard gas does have a very low amount of lube in it, such that we can't see it.  Maybe it needs a lot of the gas under continued pressure to make its presence felt?

Edit: I tried squirting the gases at hard plastic... again only the Maintenance gas seemed to act differently, leaving a change in appearance, but no change to the fingertip feel.

On the one hand I guess it won't take much change of slipperiness on a hop rubber to affect it.   On the other, it seems unlikely that the short puff of gas for each shot is really going to deposit much of anything on there.

Edit2: It seems the American version of Ultrair may contain lube, but not the Euro version.   That's not super-certain either way, but I think I'd take the previous perceived wisdom that Ultrair does not contain lube and go with that.  Apologies.  

Edit3: Maybe I apologised too fast ;):D  Here's where I got Ultrair has lube in it from... 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/asg-ultrair-power-gas-520ml

image.png.b85c65e9e564c2bc56ac8e8f19d539ed.png

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

10 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

That seemed to me like a very sensible test (I was the one flagging up that Ultrair, according to specs on one site I'd seen it has silicone lube in it.  I'll try to find it.  I don't think I count as the 'hive mind' :D)
So I tried with the three gases at hand to me right now, squirting them each at a sheet of A4 printer paper:

1) Nuprol 1.0 - made the paper wet with the first shot, but that evaporated leaving no residue.  Subsequent squirts didn't do anything to the paper
2) Abbey Predator Ultra - no wetness, no residue

3) Abbey 144a Maintenance Gas - yay! some white film left on paper, evaporated to leave no lasting effect though

So... huh.   Maybe standard gas does have a very low amount of lube in it, such that we can't see it.  Maybe it needs a lot of the gas under continued pressure to make its presence felt?

Edit: I tried squirting the gases at hard plastic... again only the Maintenance gas seemed to act differently, leaving a change in appearance, but no change to the fingertip feel.

On the one hand I guess it won't take much change of slipperiness on a hop rubber to affect it.   On the other, it seems unlikely that the short puff of gas for each shot is really going to deposit much of anything on there.

Edit2: It seems the American version of Ultrair may contain lube, but not the Euro version.   That's not super-certain either way, but I think I'd take the previous perceived wisdom that Ultrair does not contain lube and go with that.  Apologies.  

Edit3: Maybe I apologised too fast ;):D  Here's where I got Ultrair has lube in it from... 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/asg-ultrair-power-gas-520ml

image.png.b85c65e9e564c2bc56ac8e8f19d539ed.png

I thought I was going mad when you said it had lube in it, but I wasn’t.  Here’s the data sheet for Ultrair that shows no lube https://actionsportgames.com/files/files/ecom/products/Datasheets/14571_safetydatasheet_english.PDF

And here’s the data sheet that’s for their gas with lube in it (note 1% silicone is listed)

https://actionsportgames.com/files/files/ecom/products/Datasheets/19893_msds.pdf

Ultrair will sort you out

So Patrolbase put up used the wrong spec sheet and/or cut-and-pasted the info from another page.

I've already used Ultrair quite a bit in my VFC GBBR and it seems to work well for me.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

47 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

So Patrolbase put up used the wrong spec sheet and/or cut-and-pasted the info from another page.

I've already used Ultrair quite a bit in my VFC GBBR and it seems to work well for me.

Yeah looks like it.  After my first proper game with the MP7 and it having a group size of 2985892689431 MOA at 5m with some random gas that came with it I disappeared down the rabbit hole of spec sheets to find one that was ‘dry’, but also didn’t have the aroma additive given to Propane for people to detect leaks.

Have you seen the new ASG gasses?  The 178 is absolutely not for anything other than properly cold conditions (even with the NPAS backed out the Chrono just read ‘nope’)  The standard Ultrair is equivalent to the new 135 (which does have silicone in it) for temperature behaviour.

Tl;Dr Ultrair (gold/beige can) good

Is Ultrair too powerful to share with my TM DOR 5.1 ???
I'm down to my last squirt of Nuprol 1.0 and I'm wondering what's best to replace it, if I can't source more of that... or if the Ultrair will do?

Out of curiosity, what is the range of the MP7.

It's not like I am going to buy one, but just in case I decided I needed just one more RIF.

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'm down to my last squirt of Nuprol 1.0 and I'm wondering what's best to replace it, if I can't source more of that... or if the Ultrair will do?

You'll be fine with ultrair, I run it year round in my TM G17. Only time to really avoid standard propane/green gas with most TMs in the UK is when the temperature gets higher. Over 25C and you'll be best off stepping down to a lower power gas

41 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

Out of curiosity, what is the range of the MP7.

It's not like I am going to buy one, but just in case I decided I needed just one more RIF.

I find range and accuracy are on a par with any other gun. Never feel out gunned put it that way 

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

I find range and accuracy are on a par with any other gun. Never feel out gunned put it that way 

Fair, the range is very good off them but as I have mine set absolutely on the nose for the 0.25’s allowed as a max at the Black Site I’m loathe to change everything for other weights outdoors.

On a still day I would be surprised if you had issues, but as soon as you introduce wind the lack of ammunition means you can’t get into a long range scrap with AEG’s with their larger mags.

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I run Ultrair in my Umarex P8A1 all year round, and whilst it gets close in the proper heat I’ve never had a concern.

31 minutes ago, Duff Beer said:

On a still day I would be surprised if you had issues, but as soon as you introduce wind the lack of ammunition means you can’t get into a long range scrap with AEG’s with their larger mags.

I pretty much only run GBBRs so I play accordingly. Work my way in close before I open up . My L119's are 30 roung mags so the 40 in the MP7 are a luxuary Lol. But regardless picking shots and making alowance for conditions still means I can take the drum mag boys on at range .

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.