Decent Starter Pew

Dan Robinson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A pal's lad is wanting to get his first gun.   Why thoughts on the reliability of this:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-sa-c17-core-tm-strike-industries-m-lok-handguard?pv=18311

Or

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-c05-core-special-ops-carbine-rifle

I love my c12, so thinking this is a safe bet. 

Cheers in advance. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

Can't comment on those particular models, but I picked one of these up for my lad at the end of last year:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e03-edge-carbine

Have to say, for the price I was pretty impressed. It's been absolutely fine so far, has decent FPS (around 310-315 on .2s) and slings .25gs out to a decent distance. It doesn't seem too fussy on mags, isn't too heavy and was a decent buy.

The build quality is ok, but things do rattle a little bit, but it's a budget gun and would make a great starter gun.

I'd also look at Cyma as well. The two AKs I have are really good, very solid and were both under £200. Their M4s are also getting decent reviews, so maybe another option to consider?

I suggested a Cyma AK, but he wants to stick with M4 as his big brother has the DE904.

I'm letting him use my upgraded C12 tomorrow as I'm taking the whole family to Spec Ops for the day. So we'll see how the chap gets on. 

I used a Specna Arms Core 04 as the base for my project/learning build. The polymer for the receiver is actually really good, I just dislike handguards that are secured via the delta-ring, they always seems loose/wobbly. I will say that the Specna (blue) hop-units are great and haven't had an issue with it. Reliably lifts 0.3g out to good range and is very consistent.

I'm sure Rostok will be here soon to shill the Double Eagle guns with the EFCS :)

15 minutes ago, MrTea said:

I used a Specna Arms Core 04 as the base for my project/learning build. The polymer for the receiver is actually really good, I just dislike handguards that are secured via the delta-ring, they always seems loose/wobbly. I will say that the Specna (blue) hop-units are great and haven't had an issue with it. Reliably lifts 0.3g out to good range and is very consistent.

I'm sure Rostok will be here soon to shill the Double Eagle guns with the EFCS :)

That hop is currently sitting in the boy's M16..... It may well see its way back to my Specna as i learn more about hops and bucking. 

I agree too with the polymer.  Often times I feel more secure with it's durability than I do with some of my all metal pews.

7 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

Can't comment on those particular models, but I picked one of these up for my lad at the end of last year:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e03-edge-carbine

I've also got one of those and it does perform very well.  Definitely a good first pew if he's into the M4 thing.

Anything by Specna, CYMA, JG or Double Eagle would be decent performers in the budget price range.  Main thing is to clean and test new pews to avoid lemons.

Duno about Lancer Tactical.  Anyone have any experience with them?

Edited by EDcase

8 hours ago, EDcase said:

Duno about Lancer Tactical.  Anyone have any experience with them?

I have a Lancer Tactical LT-12, which I bought second hand a couple of years to see if they were as bad as they were supposed to be.  The gearbox is standard and actually pretty decent, with a QC spring that can actually be changed without removing the gearbox from the receiver.  It has a rotary hop that is not as good as the ZCI version but does the job well enough, especially when paired with a ML Macaron rubber and nub.

Except for the outer barrel, the externals are entirely plastic, albeit of decent quality.

I would rate it as being somewhat better than a basic G&G Combat Machine at a much better price.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.