The Wonderful World Of Airsoft

SeanM

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone, new to this forum and also to the wonderful world of airsoft in general... The money pit I never knew I needed! 😂

I've been to my local site a good few times now and have my defence sorted, so I'm finally ready to take the step into getting my very own RIF! I go to my local site on my own and have already met a bunch of sound people, +1 to the airsoft community!.. A couple of the lads at my site recommended I try get my first gun on here pre-owned as you can usually pick up some pretty good bundles with batteries, mags and optics etc.. which you would normally have to buy separately...which as you all know, adds up rather quickly!

Just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are with buying second hand as my first gun and things I should 'look out for' when buying something from this forum so I don't end up with a lemon 🍋 that's not going to last me long.

I originally wanted to buy new but the gun I'm after isn't in stock in the colour i want anywhere at the moment, Specna arms e23 edge 2.0 (chaos bronze) or Specna Arms H-20 edge 2.0 (half tan) , but need something decent to tick me over to save me using rentals each week. My main worry is that I'm going to get a gun that has been worn out, like the rentals are and won't shoot straight...just like the dreaded rentals haha. 

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Edited by SeanM

• SeanM changed the title to The Wonderful World Of Airsoft

Having bought the majority of the RIFs I've had on here/other second hand sales sites. I'd recommend trying to get hands on the RIF where possible, at a site is ideal so you can test fire/chrono. 

One thing that's annoyed me is receiving a couple with bits of mud/dust/grime etc - makes me think about how well looked after they were. 

Only pay via PayPal goods and services, especially if you're having one posted to you. You're unlikely to get batteries sent in the post, because they can be a 'hassle'.

Expect to replace at least the Hop rubber on any second hand RIF straight away. 

The argument to buy new is 'warranty' but if you buy a new RIF and put a new hop unit/inner barrel etc in it, then it's not standard and I'd expect it to be out of warranty anyway. Also unless specified on a shops website for the specific RIF, the use of an 11.1 LiPo voids the warranty also. 

Like any product, things can just stop working/bits go unexpectedly.

If you're after new and affordable, I think @RostokMcSpoons might recommend Double Eagle.

Personally I'd recommend a Cyma AK, but obviously not an M4 platform.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Edited by OTH21

Specna arms edge stuff is good.

I've got two from the forum and both work great with no work needed and neither cost over £150.👍

Regards 

Welcome Sean

Second hand can be a bit of a gamble but people with good reputation on this forum are a safe bet. (Still use PayPal goods & services as Oth21 said)

Edited by EDcase

Thanks for the warm welcome and informative replies guys, I appreciate it! I'd like to hear from @RostokMcSpoons in regards to the Double Eagle brand. I don't see many of them in stock on patrol base and some other retailers so I've not really done any research on them.

I think the main advantage to buying second hand is that you sometimes don't need to invest in all the other things like batteries, optics, etc.. but as you say, it's always a risk.

If double eagle is a solid but affordable gun and a lot of bang for the buck then I would definitely be interested in buying one of those new and just investing in everything else separately. Budget is around £300 for the gun but If I could get the gun and everything I need to start pew pewing people for that I'd be happy! I can easily go up in price tho but just thought £300 ish is a sensible start point for a decent first gun that can some what compete with some of the big boy £500+ laser beam accuracy guns at my field lol!

Welcome to both the forum and airsoft in general.

If you  are buying second hand for your first gun make sure you get to see and fire it before handing over any cash. Also make sure to check the Mack's thread first as this forum is pretty good for calling out people charging silly amounts.

One thing that buying new gives you is the confidence that if something does go wrong you can take it back.

@Cannonfodder Cheers mate, I'll check out that thread. Do you have a link for it at hand? If not, no doubt I'll find it.

EDIT: never mind, I've already found it and followed. Thanks mate! 

Edited by SeanM

Welcome to the sport!

You can find good deals on here, however there are plenty of not so great deals and some pretty awful "deals" as well, though the Mack's thread is pretty good at calling them out. 

My advice would be to not buy something someone has upgraded. whether upgrades are good or not is largely based on how good the quality of the workmanship and most people aren't as good as they think. 

1 hour ago, Emergencychimps said:

Welcome to the sport!

You can find good deals on here, however there are plenty of not so great deals and some pretty awful "deals" as well, though the Mack's thread is pretty good at calling them out. 

My advice would be to not buy something someone has upgraded. whether upgrades are good or not is largely based on how good the quality of the workmanship and most people aren't as good as they think. 

That's a solid point regarding upgrades mate, I'll definitely keep that in mind when looking through the ads!

Welcome!

From my perspective, spending £150 on a brand new M4 (Specna Edge C12 was mine) will give you something easily and cheaply upgraded to be a solid backstop for when you grow your collection and get the eventual problems we have all experienced.

Keep it stock internally until either it has proven itself to you or the warranty has gone.

Edited by Dan Robinson

8 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Welcome!

From my perspective, spending £150 on a brand new M4 (Specna Edge C12 was mine) will give you something easily and cheaply upgraded to be a solid backstop for when you grow your collection and get the eventual problems we have all experienced.

Keep it stock internally until either it has proven itself to you or the warranty has gone.

Cheers Dan, I am leaning towards this sort of plan more after reading everyone's comments to be honest.. Ideally need to try find and have something sorted for this Sunday, the new search begins haha.. wish me luck! 😂

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.