ZCI gear set - tappet plate issues

General Buttnaked

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

AEG for refference https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-sa-e39-pdw-edge-tm

Recently started upgrading my stock gearbox , perun v2 hybrid, higher tpa motor. And wanted to drop a 13:1 gearset in.
ZCI Gear Set (Advanced) 13:1
I bought this zci gear set to drop in the gearbox, shimmed and all happy to use it. Good engagement on the piston and gears, good meshing.

Unfortunately when winding back the gears trough the case to check it all worked I kept noticing that the tappet plate wasn't returning the nozzle to the norrmal position and getting stuck.

I believe this to be due too the bearing guide, anyone had a similar experience with ?

Put stock gears back in and they work fine, they are fitted with a delayer.

Are the new gears thicker and the sector gear trapping the tappet plate between it and the gearbox shell?

I would check that the tappet plate is sliding freely with no gears installed and the gearbox screwed shut - sounds like that should be fine.

Next I would look to remove shims from UNDER the sector gear and add them to the top, fit the tappet plate and seal up the gear box and see if it returns ok (don't need the other gears in for this step)

If that does work you will need to - either shim based on the thickness of the tappet plate OR sand down the face of the tappet plate to make it a fraction thinner and free to move with the "correct" shimming on the sector.

Check if the bearing delayer bullshit isn't popping off its axle.

• Supporters

Had a set of these that one of the bearings was mixed up, instead of having the flange on the topside (as viewed during installation) of the gear it was on the underside.

The practical upshot of which was the equivalent of dropping a 1mm shim under the gear which massively restricted the ability to put the gear where it needed to be. In my case it meant i couldn't get the bevel in the right spot for a decent mesh but could just as easily cause tappet squishing.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.