British MTP for the Chunky and Tall Individual

SteamPunkSultan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello All,

Wonder if anyone can recommend a retailer that sells MTP kit in XXXL sizes, or failing that someone that makes such things? Not having much joy searching the interwebs myself. 

Thanks. 
Rob

Back when I was buying my 38" waist trousers on eBay that there's not always much stock to be had at that end of the market.. 
But this seller seems to have quite a few options, if you jump between the New and different grades of used

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313538493744

I'm 6'7" and have an army surplus MTP Osprey plate carrier....  I just pretend there isn't a well invested beer gut hanging out the bottom of it.

Other than that I got some trousers from eBay that had a large backside - I'm 44 waste, 36 leg.

image.thumb.png.e62a070f40433131ebb4767d6ccfdacb.png

I think I got the last pair from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273913135193?hash=item3fc67ec059:g:TOsAAOSwojBdG13-&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsHd9rqxyIxBqbZStLFuUbya%2BVQ1X6sLKmCCCnP9jEUR1g0kMKcvkThs6sQpxUOAtScASp%2FjkEoZrOv3L26MZrsPGBEAoLZPZgAlaeK0yrSEC%2BNvg2LgIr7e4T8ldkf9h6SXvUaaSIi3RtaV4reAB25XgFbCTo2IdkARyShNLhLZdKhzGR0a8%2FLZMMq9NYcbs3lkO5G%2FP2onk2b904VFUIq5ABFvdVABCTimUcVcWOmZK|tkp%3ABk9SR5KMho7TYQ

I'm shocked at how much the carriers seem to have gone up in price - I'm sure I paid half of what they seem to be going for at the moment.

On 23/02/2023 at 11:05, SteamPunkSultan said:

Hello All,

Wonder if anyone can recommend a retailer that sells MTP kit in XXXL sizes, or failing that someone that makes such things? Not having much joy searching the interwebs myself. 

Thanks. 
Rob

The issue kit is sized to NATO specifications in cm with jackets

Note that the size isn’t necessarily the dimensions of the garment but of the person it’s meant to fit, and what we would call a shirt in normal life is a light jacket and jackets are smocks.

The shirt/jacket is worn over a t-shirt / under shirt and the smock is worn over the rest.  So a smock will be bigger than the ‘matching’ shirt/jacket

Shirts and jackets are sized as height* / chest

Trousers are sized as waist / inside leg / seat (backside)

* note that ‘height’ is the average persons height that it would go with rather than the length of the garment, and tends to dictate the arms and how far down the pockets are etc 

There are soldiers of various shapes & sizes so the range available in surpluses can vary - sometimes you get lucky on odd sizes ended up in surplus shops as new because it’s sat in a QMs store

For those inside who can’t fit the range, or with a tailors modification there is a custom request form - so you could always sign up and get a set made

Have a nose around on this to see if you have any prospects of being in the standard range:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/948535/s_1-6.pdf

2 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

My Plate Crarrier size is 190/120... Not sure if there is one size larger - would probably get it if I could.  If I remember, I'll cehck my trouser sizes whe ni go up to bed - those NATO sizes took a bit of getting used to.

190/120 has potential …… now all you need to do is find some

It could be the largest for some items but can go to 200/128 etc in others 

Edited by Tommikka

Fellow big lad here, I got my MTP trousers from cadet direct a long time ago. I believe they was labelled as "instructors", so big sizes definitely do exist. As for shirts, no idea haha.

3 hours ago, JinxDuh said:

Fellow big lad here, I got my MTP trousers from cadet direct a long time ago. I believe they was labelled as "instructors", so big sizes definitely do exist. As for shirts, no idea haha.

He’s only after XXXL sizes, not cadet instructor extreme levels!!!!!!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.