The VFC / Umarex HK416 Owners Thread

RostokMcSpoons

21 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

This is bad news, no-one seems to have them in stock :(

I've still got the capture spring, but I was trying to remove the buffer tube to get the receiver split open, so pulled the pin all the way out.   And when I took the gun back to the safe zone, I just left the pin floating around in the hard case rather than reinstalling it.  I didn't think the pin would be able to exit the case.  But somehow it did :(

should fit

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/hao-takedown-pins-steel-blackwe-vfc

Genuine question...

isn't it an M4 based lower?

wouldn't 'most' pins fit?

1 hour ago, gavinkempsell said:

Genuine question...

this is airsoft … your guess is as good as anyone’s including shops and manufacturers 😂

Yeah best stick with OEM to be honest.

And the pin doesn’t just go through the lower remember, it’s got to pass though the tabs in the upper.

It's necessary to create spacers for the quad rail to ensure stability. The amount of movement is minimal."

"I'm uncertain if you have any tape, as you would use it to secure the hop adjuster."

"Avoid attaching your sling directly to the barrel; instead, connect it to the quad rail for better results."

"We're both aware of the incident when you were attempting to tighten the castle nut, and the outcome.

4 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

Some rubber gaskets for my leaking mag. Hope this will finally solve it.

Good luck!

Where did you get them from?

4 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Good luck!

Where did you get them from?

I go them from https://kicbbgun.com.tw/en/index.php

They have loads of VFC parts so if you need something, they might have it.

Thanks for that. I've built an order which includes the takedown (rear receiver) pin I need (just $5), but given there'll probably be a hefty p&p charge regardless of how big the package is, I might stick an extra mag in there too. 

I just have to wait for them to get back to me with a quote - how much did they charge you?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

It cost me $15 USD, the postage was $6.89 but it was litterally two bits of very light rubber.

That's very reasonable, I'll just do an order with the pin and a spare hop rubber then 😃

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got round to fixing my leaking mag with the gaskets I bought and voila, no more leaking mag.

I got a night game coming up next week so an extra mag means less mucking around in the dark.

I ordered the pin and a spare hop rubber from KIC  They replied they're very busy at the moment so they might delay a little.  Still, I'm very grateful to find a site that can supply the VFC pin rather than trusting another will fit!

17 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I ordered the pin and a spare hop rubber from KIC  They replied they're very busy at the moment so they might delay a little.  Still, I'm very grateful to find a site that can supply the VFC pin rather than trusting another will fit!

Let me know about the hop rubber, im pefectly happy with how my gun is shooting sp will keep it stock for now

On 12/07/2023 at 11:38, gavinkempsell said:

Genuine question...

Just as an aside, the VFC pin is 22mm wide.  Turns out that's quite narrow.  The pin from my CA Scarab and my CA M16A3 are both different and wider.  So buying the oem one is very much the safest bet

4 hours ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

Let me know about the hop rubber, im pefectly happy with how my gun is shooting sp will keep it stock for now

It's the VFC stock rubber, I just thought it would be good to have as spare new one, given it was so little extra on the order.  

McSpoons, I noticed on some of your pics, you have some sort of easy adjustment arm on your visioning. What you using and where did you get it from?

I'm after one for mine as its a pian to adjust the zoom on the fly with taking my eye off scope as its really tight.

54 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

McSpoons, I noticed on some of your pics, you have some sort of easy adjustment arm on your visioning. What you using and where did you get it from?

I'm after one for mine as its a pian to adjust the zoom on the fly with taking my eye off scope as its really tight.

Yup, it's this

I think I paid a fiver for a pair?  Here you go...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breakaway-Tackle-Development-Co-Ltd/dp/B006SIBGL0/ref=asc_df_B006SIBGL0/

There are nice aluminium zoom levers for not that much more cash, but this works great :)

BTW - has your TNT barrel/hop kit arrived yet?  Keen to hear how you get on with that!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Nice one. Never thought of using one of these. Used to have something similar for an old fishing rods I had.

As for the barre kit, its the same old story. Other people had better ideas in what I should be spending my money on. Still, I might pick one up at some point.

• 1 month later...

Bah humbug.  I'm having problems with one of my gas mags.

I had broken the fill valve by over-tightening it.   Luckily Fire Support sell compatible Guarder valves at two for a tenner (which makes the fiver postage feel a bit steep, but hey ho)

Anyway, I've just fitted that and tried out the mag again.  
It's leaking 'bigly'

I've narrowed the problem down to two options:

1) I'm an idiot

or

2) I'm definitely an idiot

It's not the gentle leak of bad gasket or o-ring, it's the 'whoosh' of something missing entirely, or installed incorrectly.
I've watched the YT video about servicing this particular magazine, and I seem to have everything in place though.

The one area that seemed most likely is the knocker valve.  If it's screwed in tightly it seems like the o-ring is exposed and it might not block the gas escaping. 
Not screwing it fully in didn't help though.

I've also tested filling it with it without the spring + follower and top cover in place.   The gas comes out of both the top gas hole and seemingly also the BB stack... which can't be right - it must be the gasket...?

Any thoughts as to how I've fecked it up are most welcome!

447600600_VFCHK416Valvecloseup.jpg.7f9a81c242ff0679f72872a1ed3705a8.jpg

A - the BB stack, gas seemed to vent from here, but surely it was actually coming from 'B'

C - the main gas route, also venting whether the knocker valve is screwed tightly in, or wound out (as per second pic)

Closeup with it screwed completely in... o-ring visible, is it only the hidden / lower side that needs to block the gas?
976197146_VFCHK416Valvescrewedincloseup.jpg.c3d96a09dbd859683d014131c1813e0b.jpg

Assorted pics of the valve screwed out, then in...

1975518639_VFCHK416Valvemulti.jpg.0ddec1e65245b42276cc0a680cc7dccc.jpg

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I don't wanna take my mags apart again to have a look as they are all working perfectly at the moment. All your pics seem fine and everything is where it should be. However, and it's hard to tell, but the top of the gasket here doesn't look right. Is it fitting snuggly?

image.jpeg.6d8b3ad85cf7d1b58a6ac1869b10732e.jpeg

When I was having my leaks its was to do with the gasket being very slightly deformed. The leaks I experienced went from a very slight leak to a major pissing of gas as the more I fiddled with the mag, the more I was making the gasket worse.

Once I got my new gakests, I smeared all the rubber parts with silicon grease like this - https://www.godive.net/products/silicone-grease/ - and it worked perfectly.

Are getting you leaks from the mags from the same place where I bought my leaking mags.

Thanks @CrackCommandoUnit1972, I think the gasket in the pic was quite loose on the valve, but seemed to be correctly positioned when assembled.  I'll take it all apart and check for any damage, evidence of it being nipped when in position.  And check the gaskets again too.

I had another mag that I thought had lost its ability to hold gas yesterday at my skirmish.  Luckily it turned out it hadn't quite seated properly - a 'sturdier' approach to getting it in the mag well was all it needed. 

However, all of this is making me think I'll just take advantage of my existing HPA equipment (that doesn't get used, because of my Tippmann issues), get an Airtac adaptor and side-step most of these glitches!  I talked to a couple of people running with them on their gats yesterday, and they seemed very pleased with them.

So... I can order the new M4 adapter from Airtac for £130, I'll have to sacrifice components from one gas mag to complete it, and then I need to buy a regulator for my air tank.  I need some advice on that, I'll start a thread in the HPA section.

Hi there. I'm sure you can help with these simple questions. Apologies if they have been asked, and answered, before.
With my 416 due to arrive from Hong Kong, I would like to read your recommendations for it :

- BB weight, what would you use to clock below 350 fps, noting that I intend to play in semi for obvious mag capacity reasons
- What gas would you use at which temp ?

- I'm planning to use a single point sling, will the stock and attachment take the weight rubbing ?

- Any simple hacks to increase reliability out of the box, without buying anything, e.g. what needs tightening, loctite, sand papering, silicon lubing etc.

And generally any advice for a new owner.