What am bestest M4?

messy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello!

I'm coming back to airsoft after many, many years and I'm eyeing up a new AEG. Just before I stopped playing I had my heart set on a G&G TR4 CQB. A lot of time has passed and I still like it but I'm just wondering if theres anything new thats come along that may be better in terms of accuracy, ROF, build quality etc?

Budget is up to £350

Must be full metal

I've had  a quick google and seen the Specna Arms Rock River Arms SA-E0X series which looks good but also seems to be suspiciously cheap, dunno if I'm missing something or if the TR4 is just massivly overpriced? (£300 - £350)

(((edit - just noticed the specna is plastic (I read "full metal internals" and missed the interal bit :P )) Second edit - turns out they are metal, no idea why so cheap :P)

Thanks!

Edited by messy

• Supporters

The Specna Arms Edge 2.0 range is metal and has a decent GATE-ASTER fire control system.  They keep dicking around with the branding, and the QC isn't what it ought to be, but - if you can find them in stock - they offer reasonable value for money.  G&G sat on their laurels for too long, I wouldn't buy anything now without a QC spring and rotary hop.

Of course...

all-airsoft-guns.png.7388f7a5e08d2cd4679ee85143c0f0ad.png

ah cool cheers - I have no idea what a rotary hop is. I assume a QC spring is just a nice spring? Presumably a TR4 could just be upgraded to those parts?

oooh wait (just saw a pic) - is a rotary hop just one that has a tiny cog you can turn to adjust the hop? I thought that was just how hops were lol, all my old guns have it 😕

Edited by messy

To be honest mate a £200 or less Cyma will be a far better gun.  Price is not a good guide neither is all metal.  CHeap pot metal which they are made of will way a ton a break far easier than a strong polymer gun tht weighs half as much.  AT the end of a day or weekends play lugging it and mags a plate carrier and othe rgear around you'll be glad of the lighter weight.

I have several different versions of the LA85 and they are all about 4KG I think...I'm perfectly fine with the weight of metal, I prefer it in fact.

I'm only comparing to Specna because its a name I dont recognise and ppl seem to be talking about it. Lets try it this way - if you had a £350 budget and wanted a CQB varianet M4...what would you buy?

*breaks into the thread to preach the good word of the TM MWS or Wolverine MTW*

*notices budget*

*leaves*

I don't know anything about AEG m4s, but I had a Dboys m4 CQB a while ago and it was great. Heard Double Eagle ones are pretty good, but I don't like how they look.

Edited by Impulse

1 hour ago, messy said:

ah cool cheers - I have no idea what a rotary hop is. I assume a QC spring is just a nice spring? Presumably a TR4 could just be upgraded to those parts?

oooh wait (just saw a pic) - is a rotary hop just one that has a tiny cog you can turn to adjust the hop? I thought that was just how hops were lol, all my old guns have it 😕

Welcome back 😉

QC = Quick Change.  Allows you to more easily access the spring so it can be changed without dismantling the whole gun and gearbox.  Definitely a plus

Rotary hop has the wheel around the whole part rather than a small cog on the side like the older versions.  It allows for smoother changes and does not drift once set.

I personally like the Specna Arms range but if you get one, definitely test it thoroughly to make sure it works well.  (Advice for any new purchase really)

Also clean the barrel before testing.

Happily since the early years prices have come down with performance going up so there are several manufacturers to choose from that won't touch your budget limit. (Unfortunately stock is very low at the moment)

CYMA are well respected and have quite a few metal offerings.

JG (Jing Gong) are good value for performance with some very cheap polymer items but they also do metal versions.

As mentioned, Specna Arms EDGE 2 are very good value with good performance.  There have been reports of breaks and failures which may have been a bad batch so test within the return period.

Double Eagle have some fans so worth looking to see what they offer.

G&G are a good brand but seem to be over-pricing themselves for what you get.

I also prefer metal toys 😁

Edited by EDcase

Bestest M4 not an M4 at all.

Get a GUU-5P. Best of luck building one, tradeless XM117 or M16A2 might be a start but finding a slick upper is a pain. Lower doesn’t matter really a mismatched colour is good. Buff out the Auto marking and re stamp BRUST because the armoury guy was on night shift. 14.5” pencil barrel. 

The Air Force got the black rifle first. The Army and Marines just took a good design and fucked it up.

I'm in the same boat, after my first M4 full metal and there's so much choice. Specna Arms does seem like a good option that I keep going back to

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.