First Game Booked

JustMark

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

Another new player here!

I've just booked onto my first game at a CQB site near me and kinda wondering what I've signed up for!  Having never fired anything more than spring weapons in my back garden I'm pretty much clueless!  I've got a mask to wear and a cheerful disposition, is that enough? :D

Any idea of what the actual process is on the day?

Ta

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome.  The cheerful disposition is most of it, and every (decent) site will take the rentals aside and talk you through the basics.

If you fancy a long read, here's an excellent post covering a day in minute detail, including all the waiting and waiting and waiting...

Ultimately it's just playing with toy guns, with a little bit of ouch that can make some people get tetchy.  Don't take any of it seriously or personally and you'll have a blast.

Hello & welcome.

Where'd you sign up for? There could well be a regular here that'll give you more info, but generally it's:

Site opens, arrive, faff with kit, chat to whoever's setting up near you, chrono (n/a if you're renting, but you'll get a gun based briefing instead), then it's a general briefing on rules etc and into the games after that. There'll be time between games for snacks, drinks, more weapon based faffing and having a nose at other people's kit. Then home with a big grin to book the next one and to look at the stuff you want to buy when you get UKARA sorted.

The cheerful disposition will see you right through all of the above.

Don't forget to call your hits and if you're not sure, call it anyway, it's just messing about with toy guns after all.

Cheers chaps, that's really helpful thanks!

I'm booked on the Snetterton Battle Stations site for the morning on the 5th. I think it looks like it'll be a good laugh but couldn't commit all day because I need to watch the rugby in the afternoon :)

38 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Might be for the best, you'll get a whopping adrenaline hit the first day and it can be tiring even if you're fit as a butcher's dog.

Which I am not...
Might convince me to actually start running again if I get knackered after five minutes though!

14 hours ago, JustMark said:

Cheers chaps, that's really helpful thanks!

I'm booked on the Snetterton Battle Stations site for the morning on the 5th. I think it looks like it'll be a good laugh but couldn't commit all day because I need to watch the rugby in the afternoon :)

I love that site!  It's a really good CQB site with a very good briefing in the café.  You're in good hands.  

The safe zone where you mill about with unloaded rifs and chat with the other chaps and chapesses  is around the back of the place.  Find the tank and head North.  Look for the smokers hovering at the entrance to the wooden building and you're there.  Ask them where the sign in place is.  If they are not there, just look for the sign to your right.  A very mellow chap called Sean IIRC will answer any questions that you have, and give you a waiver to sign.

If I go myself, I'll send you a PM.  I was talking about going with the lad the other day.  The games are well thought out and the gameplay is good.  Ask a marshal if you need advice.  There are a few ex-Royal Anglians who play as a team who go regularly.  They are a very friendly bunch, as are most of the people I've met there over the years.  

The games are short fast and furious.  Flanking is king.  In CQB shoot first and identify later.  

Hi TPH, glad I chose a good 'un!

Absolutely message if you are going, always nice to know someone a bit before you get somewhere.  Sadly my friend hasn't quite caved in yet...

14 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Of the Dorset IIRCs?

No, Somerset branch.  

Mother was a Psmith from Tunbridge Wells.  

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.