How I solved a problem without finding the problem

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Here's an unfunnily funny story

After acquiring a VFC G3A3 GBBR I was very impressed with it, there was only one problem. The bolt/cocking lever assembly made a horrible scraping noise and pulling it felt like dragging a sandbag along the beach.

I decided to try solve it myself, there would be no warranty as I previously modifed some parts before the scraping made itself this apparent, although some was there from the start, but I didn't think it was anything wrong.

This got worse and worse and eventually it felt more like dragging an anchor through gravel. Polishing the bolt and the hammer didn't do much, so I wasn't sure what to do.

I took the gun apart again to polish the follower, when I put it back together the scraping noise was gone, and once the nozzle releases the bolt runs smooth and clean.

And this is where I don't get exactly what happened, because I determined earlier that the scraping noise came from the bolt assembly and not the follower. Or did I miss something? I did notice that the follower had some sort of paint residue on it.

I also filed out a small nick on the hammer that I don't know how it happened to begin with and repolished it, but I think it would have created a click or simply locking the bolt up rather than making a scraping noise

So in the end I never found out what the issue was, but at least it is gone. Such is life.

Edited by LzChase

2 hours ago, LzChase said:

Here's an unfunnily funny story

After acquiring a VFC G3A3 GBBR I was very impressed with it, there was only one problem. The bolt/cocking lever assembly made a horrible scraping noise and pulling it felt like dragging a sandbag along the beach.

I decided to try solve it myself, there would be no warranty as I previously modifed some parts before the scraping made itself this apparent, although some was there from the start, but I didn't think it was anything wrong.

This got worse and worse and eventually it felt more like dragging an anchor through gravel. Polishing the bolt and the hammer didn't do much, so I wasn't sure what to do.

I took the gun apart again to polish the follower, when I put it back together the scraping noise was gone, and once the nozzle releases the bolt runs smooth and clean.

And this is where I don't get exactly what happened, because I determined earlier that the scraping noise came from the bolt assembly and not the follower. Or did I miss something? I did notice that the follower had some sort of paint residue on it.

I also filed out a small nick on the hammer that I don't know how it happened to begin with and repolished it, but I think it would have created a click or simply locking the bolt up rather than making a scraping noise

So in the end I never found out what the issue was, but at least it is gone. Such is life.

Perhaps the problem wanted to live somewhere else; just at the point that your gun started working properly, someone else possibly discovered that theirs was making a horrible scraping noise.

That’s good. Just hope that gremlin does not show it’s ugly head in the future!

2 hours ago, Sneaky said:

That’s good. Just hope that gremlin does not show it’s ugly head in the future!

Thats my fear with my “miracle “ repairs

But I’ve realised after years of cycling and being a Defender driver, that if you ram enough lube in, it’ll quieten it 😆

1 hour ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Thats my fear with my “miracle “ repairs

But I’ve realised after years of cycling and being a Defender driver, that if you ram enough lube in, it’ll quieten it 😆

37 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

image.png.32f4f1122503ca81e2d14dffb432341f.png

Like that classic text I sent to a team mate -

“Got batteries & lube, all ready for the weekend”

I enjoyed the weekend 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.