Talk Me Out of Buying a TM MTR16

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After properly using a decent GBBR (TM MP7) for the first time on Sunday, I can't stop thinking how much more I liked it than my AEG (which I took but didn't use). I have been playing for five years and after having numerous RIF's pass through my hands, have somewhat whittled my collection down to things I have/would actually use. In that is 3 x primary AEG's, which I would keep regardless, same for the TM MP7. However I can't help but feel for woodland games, a longer gun would be more suitable and have latched on to this particular model.

So, c'mon what are the negatives I need to take in to consideration? (outside of the initial outlay!)

It offers no more performance than a normal MWS (even the internal barrel length is the same) and has a hideous stock and grip.

On the plus side, it’s ambidextrous and has a great hand guard if you like long guns.

With a bit of work it can look good 😉

A2F94A5B-549A-46EF-BC8F-733D08759BF1.jpeg

9 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

has a great hand guard if you like long guns.

I don't actually, I find they increase the speed at which my lower back starts to ache like hell! Maybe that's why I enjoyed using the MP7 so much 🤔

I really like an old school bushmaster stock (as found on the MWS M4 M4A1 Carbine), however want to mount a small scope and thinking that may be more appropriate on the MTR.

I quite like the modern AR look, even though it's nothing out of the ordinary. Being heavy would certainly put me off, so I guess I should go and check them out in person.

I would have thought for your purposes, a GBBR would be great fun?

I've literally done something very similar over the past (expensive) month, but the other way around.

Brought an MWS M4a1, loved the feel of it and enjoyed it at its first outdoor outing, then promptly brought a TM Mp7 for CQB, which like you used for the first time last weekend.

Similar story, I have had quite a few AEGs and still have some, but was looking for something more and am now hooked 🙂

I haven't used it a great deal yet, as I haven't had it long, but yes 🙂

Knowing you as I believe you do I'd be sticking with the MP7 and taking a win as a win. As you mentioned earlier you like your short/smg RIFs, resist the temptation of the shiny new and just enjoy something you know you like. Realistically, outside of not looking goofy with a lump of optic on top of it, there isn't much the MWS can do that the MP7 can't. I'm sure you'll land on what you actually want to do once the time comes to pay for it, but I strongly suspect that'll be a momentary buzz we get when we buy hobby stuff, quickly followed by some buyers remorse when it arrives and is consequently immediately sent back.

The MWS is actually lightweight, it’s the mags that add the heft, ~450g each.

As @rocketdogbert said, the only plus point of the MTR is the ambi controls.

Otherwise you want to increase fps over 350 there is no need for the long front end/barrel.

If you do want to maximise the MWS platform strong points for ‘reaching out’ then as a DMR they are great.

If you like the aesthetics of the MTR then it’s perfectly fine.

You also won’t feel so short changed in the round count using as DMR

So unless you want the externals/ambi specifically I would build from an M4A1

PS I also acknowledge @alxndrhll comments, although I would say the gas capacity of the MWS is superior and it is a lot quieter in operation.

I love the MP7 for its ASBO nature

I'd be more inclined to get a standard MWS and stick the HAO MK16 rail on to give you a lighter, slimmed-down front end, which still looks awesome. For around the same price as an MTR. You also get a 35-rd mag as opposed the 20 with the MTR. 

Like @alxndrhllsaid though, perhaps run your MP7 out a few more times and see how you get on before you part with your cash?

@alxndrhll - That's this forums version of an intervention. Solid advice though, cheers.

@C-Diddy - I had thought about doing it that way. You're right that at £55 a mag, having a 35 round one included, rather than 20 (which may be a step too far on the challenge scale), does make a difference.

Think I'll give the idea some breathing room and see how I feel in a while. Plenty of house and car stuff I need to outlay atm anyway.

Plus my next game is at South coast CQB and that's definitely one for the MP7!

7 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

@alxndrhll - That's this forums version of an intervention. Solid advice though, cheers.

@C-Diddy - I had thought about doing it that way. You're right that at £55 a mag, having a 35 round one included, rather than 20 (which may be a step too far on the challenge scale), does make a difference.

Think I'll give the idea some breathing room and see how I feel in a while. Plenty of house and car stuff I need to outlay atm anyway.

Plus my next game is at South coast CQB and that's definitely one for the MP7!

Jesus, common sense being applied?! You have no place in this forum 😆

Sounds like a solid plan pal. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.