Would a zoom optic on an AEG make any sense?

Harvem

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

9 hours ago, Lozart said:

Fair play. Certainly look at the Victoptics scopes, they are very good for the price. I have one on my SCAR and the slightly more expensive Vector Optics one on my M14 EBR. If anything the Victoptics one is better as it's a First Focal Plane scope (not sure if the one you linked to is).

Which one do you have, I couldn't find any victoptics scopes in ffp. 

For OP, I also support using optics. I bought fairly rubbish fts magnifier, and though I hate that thing, playing with zoom made a world of difference in woodland. My usual setup for my 1j "dmr" is a 3-9x scope with a red dot on top for closer range stuff. Currently looking at a decent fts magnifier or an lpvo for my regular m4. But having a properly zero'd scope on a reasonably accurate gun means you can pull off some pretty nice shots through foliage that you probably couldn't without zoom. 

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Badgerlicious said:

Which one do you have, I couldn't find any victoptics scopes in ffp. 

For OP, I also support using optics. I bought fairly rubbish fts magnifier, and though I hate that thing, playing with zoom made a world of difference in woodland. My usual setup for my 1j "dmr" is a 3-9x scope with a red dot on top for closer range stuff. Currently looking at a decent fts magnifier or an lpvo for my regular m4. But having a properly zero'd scope on a reasonably accurate gun means you can pull off some pretty nice shots through foliage that you probably couldn't without zoom. 

They've changed them. I was looking for the listing for mine to link for the exact same reason! In fact the Vector Optics Mustang I have in SFP is also now available as an FFP scope. More expensive than the Victoptics one though!

• 2 weeks later...

I run one of these which works great. After a bit of work zeroing  I have the red dot set for CQB (15m) and the 4x zeroed for distance (40m+). It’s worked very well in game so far. 

7993A677-24E0-4688-B3C7-FBEA6F44A86C.png

I've made a full offer on an LVPO 1.25-5 scope, so I'm going to give it another go... it looks cool if nothing else ;)

(Hey @FruitNinja20, check your PM's when you've got stuff for sale ;))  

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

Tim Troxel | LinkedIn

Keeping the rough idea here in mind - monkey brain detection on the left, human brain identification on the right - scopes predominantly help with identification for me especially when playing at a site that's using armbands for target ID. At milsims I've found they're not so important; camouflage rules make ID a lot easier.

I'm perfectly able to spot folk moving hundreds of meters away, but getting a quick look through the scope is a huge help for new contacts. It also extends to getting a better look in at their kit, even which 'team' of people who turned up that day. Or rentals 🤪😈

Even a tiny pair of binoculars can help a lot, like my mate's on his shoulder here:

image.png.9aa21ca25a71d92fa5e4779d736231e6.png

Edited by DrAlexanderTobacco

• 2 weeks later...

I was finally able to play with my new variable zoom optic yesterday. I didn't really need it to spot enemies, since the field was quite open. I did however hit one of the most satisfying shots I've ever hit in my airsoft career 😁

Someone was hiding behind a fence, but I could see their helmet poking out. It was quite far away, so I zoomed in to see where my BBs were landing. Thanks to that I was able to adjust my aim and I got him in a couple shots! Felt so satisfying 😃

Got my Visionking 1.25-5 scope and I have to say I'm very impressed. 

2033727593_VisionKingscopecrop.jpg.e85b576d21a793f4e561ccc63d1a05df.jpg

The eye box is... alright.  If your mask allows some sort of repeatable cheek weld then a decent sight picture can be had very quickly, but I think as a Novritsch video mentioned when they compared sights, that if you're in an odd stance or in cover that restricts movement then you may have trouble picking it up as quickly as a red dot.  

The rest of it really impresses - clear glass, smooth zoom, very nicely illuminated reticle etc.  It's a chunk of weight compared to a skinny red dot, but I'm very much looking forward to using it (whenever it is I actually get to play again), because at the 1.25x end of the zoom, it is possible to use it with both eyes open.  (I'm sure, as mentioned before, with a bit of practice that it's possible to do that with any sight at low to medium zoom levels)

I've ordered a custom protector from Red Dot Engineering on eBay, I'll post a pic of that when it arrives.

Edit:  The pic looks a bit weird, but it's a good job as usual from Red Dot.  £10.  Sizes were 30.1mm diameter, 20mm bezel.
1126363854_Scopeprotector.jpg.79f7cc3a3201fafd9d37b2a17e94b8ff.jpg

The zoom lever is a stubby little thing, but notably has a grub screw or bolt in the top of it - is there a generic zoom lever extender that can be fitted to make it a bit more 'glove friendly'? 

Edit: "What, you mean something like this?"  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313507427413
"£13!  Way too much, how's about this" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO6DUKtwC2U

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Sight protector pic

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.