KTW winchester rifle upgrade

Mels

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

So I have a KTW winchester rifle and would like to change the spring for a bit more power. Has anyone changed a spring in one of these? I can't seem to find any info about these.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a spring made up?

Thanks

Edited by Mels

• Supporters

Sorry, no idea, it doesn't seem to be a gun that people tinker much with.

Given the cost and the unknowns, I'd be very hesitant to put extra stress on the components, and would focus on the hop and barrel - again, unknowns.

Actually, I'm seeing it quoted at 117m/s with 0.2g, or 1.36J, which at most sites is going to get it treated as a sniper with a MED, for little if any extra range over a well sorted 1.14J gun.  I'd be tempted to drop it down to under 1.14J, to de-stress it and lose the MED.

I'd do that with a chrono to hand, using the intended weight of BBs, and (depending on how long it take to disassemble and reassemble) by cutting one coil and re-flattening, then repeat as necessary.

Thanks guys, I think I'll end up going the gas route, power is around 275 on a .2 at the moment. Ideally I would like that to be on a .3. I'm looking into barrel and hop options at the moment. I'm hoping with a combination of all three I could squeeze a bit more range out of it. 

I'm under no illusions this would be cheap or even give significant gains. But its a nice project.

This is the exact model for anyone interested.

https://www.airsoftworld.net/ktw-m1873-winchester-airsoft-rifle-latest-2019-model-with-walnut-furniture.html

Thanks again.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Mels said:

power is around 275 on a .2 at the moment

Oh, that's disappointing (except to TM owners).  UK sellers to seem to reckon about that muzzle energy, while others sellers say 117m/s / 384fps on 0.2g.  Neither is really ideal for the UK.

Given how much that lovely walnut version already costs, it does make a reasonable argument for dropping more into it to make it all that it can be.  Officially jealous.

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Given how much that lovely walnut version already costs, it does make a reasonable argument for dropping more into it to make it all that it can be.  Officially jealous.

It is a lovely bit of kit, If only I could find some half decent Western revolvers to go with it.

Speaking of which have you seen the new TM single action army? Such a shame about its laughable power (90-100 fps on .2) as it actually has hop!

They do have an interesting design if you haven't already seen them

https://www.socomtactical.net/tokyo-marui-saa-single-action-army-spring-revolver/

tokyo-marui-saa45-artillery-5-12-inch-black-air-revolver-pro.jpg.329fb29c98f8dfbd765a294fbd160fd5.jpg

Edited by Mels

So it just uses the kinetic energy of the hammer transferred mechanically (with the parts in the shell) to the BB?

Hmm, yeah not very efficient.

Edited by EDcase

• 2 months later...
On 07/06/2022 at 20:34, Mels said:

If only I could find some half decent Western revolvers to go with it.

I can't stress this enough, the ASG Schofield is amazing. Shoots amazingly well despite having no hop-up. Very accurate. 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1136807925/asg-schofield-shell-set-low-power

You'll have to use these. ASG never made power down shells for the Schofield for some reason. These 3D printed shells are of very good quality and are very affordable!

• 3 months later...

I'm necroposting just to say putting 0.3s in a KTW Winchester will likely tear the hop rubber with the amount of adjustment needed. Keep them on 0.25s, if you tear the rubber there are no spares. 

Having had the volante and the original, just leave it original. 

• 2 months later...
On 29/12/2022 at 12:46, Pupa2794 said:

I'm necroposting just to say putting 0.3s in a KTW Winchester will likely tear the hop rubber with the amount of adjustment needed. Keep them on 0.25s, if you tear the rubber there are no spares. 

Having had the volante and the original, just leave it original. 

Can you elaborate on your thoughts on the Volante? I've previously only heard good things about it and have on order myself.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.