Returning after a good few years!

Jamalen

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Morning All,

I'm Alec, I used to be seriously into the Sport 20 years ago, I started and ran D.A.R.T. Airsoft in 1998 (it later became "The Hill" site in Dundee, played at pretty much all the Scotland sites, and popped down to Fireball and Wales for the national events and such.s

I used to write airsoft articles and reviews for Safezone Magazine, Recon Rag and Boltcatch Magazine (Germany).

But the last time I had kit and was regularly at game would have been at least 6 or 7 years ago, so my question is.. What have I missed? Has the law / game style changed? and what should I know about trying to get back into Airsoft? 

Cheers for any replies..

--Alec

Hey Alec, welcome back 🖐

I don't know what things were like 20 years ago but I suspect not much has changed with the game itself.

The actual equipment (guns) have surely improved in all aspects since then and probably become cheaper.

The easiest way to get registered as an airsofter is to rent for 3 games at a single site where they will put you on the UKARA register.  Then you can buy RIFs (realistic) guns.

Do lots of reading on the forum for other bits of info.

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts once you get back into it...

Welcome back to the mad house!

As said above, the main change is the performance of the guns. You can get a lot better for a lot cheaper now, and I'm still amazed at the difference from when I started about 17 years ago; my Cyma m14 build probably cost me around £200ish and would outshoot a lovingly upgraded sniper rifle from back in the mid 2000s. From 7 years ago, the laws haven't changed. Still need to get a UKARA registration by playing 3 games in at least 2 months to buy guns.

Hope you enjoy your return to the hobby!

So far, the major thing i have noticed is that when I was "retiring" 7 years ago MTP was just out and I remember people complaining that they were trying to buy it and sellers where getting banned on eBay and such as it was still counted as MoD restricted , but it wasn't a big deal as there was loads of cheap options like ATACS (& ATACS FG), Flecktarn, DPM, Cadpat, Marpat, Danish Fleck, Multicam, Multi Flecktarn, Vegeteto, French, Polish, ACU, Czech and DDR Stichtarn and so on...

Now I spent a day in Edinburgh going around Surplus places, and surfing around and the options are sparse & terrible, the prices are of everything EXCEPT MTP/BTP are sky high... unimpressed so far... 

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome back.

Notionally you need a defence to purchase any RIF now, but private sellers tend not to be as fussed, and there are some retailers who will accept bogus defences if you don't fancy renting and waiting.  It's their risk, it's still not an offence for us to purchase or own RIFs.

As you've found, it's a seller's market at the moment, and often a case of grabbing whatever you can find.

Guest KiloGr

Sort of true above - you can buy any 2 tone RIF, just not realistic colors (All black etc) without the UKARA, which is applied for after 3 games across 6 months.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, KiloGr said:

Sort of true above - you can buy any 2 tone RIF, just not realistic colors (All black etc) without the UKARA, which is applied for after 3 games across 6 months.

Sort of true above.

You can buy anything you like, as long as you're 18+.  Really, you can, there's no offence committed by purchasing, or attempting to purchase a RIF.  Manufacture, modification, or importation are offences. Purchase, not a problem, that risk falls on the seller.

A 2-tone where over 50% is in a non-realistic colour[*] isn't a RIF (realistic imitation firearm), it's just an imitation firearm.

UKARA, or equivalent schemes, require at least 3 games, but only 2 months, or rather 8 weeks / 56 days.  However, some sites will go by 2 calendar months, which is a bit of a sod as it generally pushes it out to 9 or 10 weeks.

[*] 

transparent

bright red

bright orange

bright blue

bright yellow

bright green

bright pink

bright purple

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Just trying to picture myself with a bright pink weapon... I'll probably just Hire/Borrow for the first few months

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.