Which Mosfet for my upgraded F2000 (Cyma, v3 gearbox)?

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It looks like I'll need to run an 11.1v battery since I upgraded my gun with a new motor (SHS High Torque Motor 16TPA)... I've perhaps managed to kill a Titan 7.4v 3000mAH by plugging it into this gun.  (Or it could be entirely unrelated).   Anyway, I'm going to fit a Mosfet so I can use 11.1v batteries in the future.

I've already got a Mosfet'd gun in my Double Eagle M906C, and I have to say I don't really need all the advanced features.  Binary and burst are both cool, but I've not tended to use either.  So I don't need to pay extra for those.

I'm perhaps more interested in active braking and pre-cocking, but given my front-runner is the Perun AB++, I'm wondering how effective those are when there are no sensors on the gears?
Also, the Perun just does an alarm when the battery gets low, I'd rather it shut off in case I don't hear the alarm and I run it too low and kill it... is that worrying unnecessarily?

Are there better options for my limited needs?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

There is no way a High Torque motor will kill a 7.4V battery in ordinary circumstances. Something is faulty.

The particular Motor itself is faulty

Battery is faulty

Wiring is faulty. 

Charger is Faulty.

Or a combination of the four.

I only use 7.4v lipos in my normal AEGS, all of my AEGs have neodymium high torque or Neodymium Balanced Torque motors. Never has the motor ruined a battery.

If using a 11.1v miraculously works, it is because it is masking a problem elsewhere. You need to find the problem that you have currently.

Edit: in regards to MOSFETs I usually just use whatevers cheapest and smallest in all my builds. So I can get rid of the fuse and protect trigger contacts. The small Perun is great for me. No AB and no Precocking.

Edited by Asomodai

I've just re-tested the gun - It's running fine on a 7.4v LiPo, an 8.4v NimH, and of course the 11.1v LiPo (which was dangerously low on juice, as it happens)

Perhaps logically I'd have to put money on the Titan while the other batteries are ok, but I've now had two of them failing (one with a clickety-click and the outside wrap melting to reveal the gold foil beneath) which suggests something is wrong somewhere.   I'm quite prepared to believe it's my wiring or something I've done, but I'm not feeling qualified to work out what :( 
The F2000 is getting opened up in the next day or two for a lube and maybe a piston swap, and fitting the Mosfet, so I'll see if there were any potential short circuits that might have done it.

I bought the Perun Mosfet w/wiring, I remembered I there's plenty of space in the battery compartment for one of the cheapo battery monitors, so that'll do.

I'll buy a couple of cheap Turnigy nano cells from Hobby Kings.   I've had one of those fail on me already too, and I didn't think I'd run it completely flat.  I hope my unluckiness with batteries doesn't lead to fire / flames / explosions 😕

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

53 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Perhaps logically I'd have to put money on the Titan while the other batteries are ok, but I've now had two of them failing (one with a clickety-click and the outside wrap melting to reveal the gold foil beneath) which suggests something is wrong somewhere.   I'm quite prepared to believe it's my wiring or something I've done, but I'm not feeling qualified to work out what :( 

Didn't I go off on a mad rant about Titan batteries a bit ago, I'm going to like one of your posts in it rather than drag it all back up :D

For the FET.

Personally I like them to be as cheap as possible, I typically use the Xcortech XET304U or similar (Acemos). Simply because there dumb, and run forever. They will take up to 30V input. don't have any features at all, and work as just a contact protection fet. Supply of them seems a little dry ATM and the price has gone up you used to be able to get them for £10ish.

If I wanted titan features but with a bit more robustness I might look at the MERF(£40) or warfet(£70), since it does a similar set of things to a titan whilst using standard trigger contacts. The Merf is really good value IMO. It's got pre-cocking (smart trigger), Lipo protection, self resetting fuse, and 3rnd burst. For the same price as the perun++. The other huge advantage with both units is they have is they have deans connectors both ends and a little trigger wire that also disconnects, So if you felt so inclined you could run 1 unit on multiple guns.
https://gatee.eu/products/programmable/merf-32

My go to for a basic fet that also has AB has been the Gate Nano hard (£30). It's not a pre-cocking AB. Just a Dumb AB, but the package has a few nice features like a self resetting fuse and lipo cut-off that can be set to 7.4 and 11.1v. The gun I loan to others has one of these in it as I know they can't damage the battery through inexperience. The cut-off is a hard cut-off, The gun simply won't shoot. The price however is the kicker there, when they were release they were about £20 and good value for the features, but I feel now spending that extra £10 for the Merf that hasn't gone up in price in the same time period is far better value.

https://gatee.eu/nanohard

Edited by Iceni

Dave's Custom has the Merf for £51, but luckily TG have them at a more reasonable £40ish.

I have the Nano Hard on my DMR works fine in protecting the trigger so far.  Not sure what else it does tbh.  Rifle does shoot very very well with regards responsiveness.    

2 hours ago, Iceni said:

loads of places have MERF stock at £40. Patrol base, Thecage, bespokeairsoft, surplusstore. Most are £5 delivery.

https://www.surplusstore.co.uk/gate-merf-3-2-aeg-mosfet.html

Thanks mate.  seriously, what am I on this evening? 

PB doesn't work on my browser, but I am sure that I looked at Surplus Store at least.  

9 hours ago, Iceni said:

Didn't I go off on a mad rant about Titan batteries a bit ago, I'm going to like one of your posts in it rather than drag it all back up :D

For the FET.

Personally I like them to be as cheap as possible, I typically use the Xcortech XET304U or similar (Acemos). Simply because there dumb, and run forever. They will take up to 30V input. don't have any features at all, and work as just a contact protection fet. Supply of them seems a little dry ATM and the price has gone up you used to be able to get them for £10ish.

If I wanted titan features but with a bit more robustness I might look at the MERF(£40) or warfet(£70), since it does a similar set of things to a titan whilst using standard trigger contacts. The Merf is really good value IMO. It's got pre-cocking (smart trigger), Lipo protection, self resetting fuse, and 3rnd burst. For the same price as the perun++. The other huge advantage with both units is they have is they have deans connectors both ends and a little trigger wire that also disconnects, So if you felt so inclined you could run 1 unit on multiple guns.
https://gatee.eu/products/programmable/merf-32

My go to for a basic fet that also has AB has been the Gate Nano hard (£30). It's not a pre-cocking AB. Just a Dumb AB, but the package has a few nice features like a self resetting fuse and lipo cut-off that can be set to 7.4 and 11.1v. The gun I loan to others has one of these in it as I know they can't damage the battery through inexperience. The cut-off is a hard cut-off, The gun simply won't shoot. The price however is the kicker there, when they were release they were about £20 and good value for the features, but I feel now spending that extra £10 for the Merf that hasn't gone up in price in the same time period is far better value.

https://gatee.eu/nanohard

Yes, yes you did :)  I guess I'll say in Titan's defence that the jury's still out.   It may have been my fault I've managed to break them, but I won't be buying another (just in case)
I'm trying to retrain my brain to consider batteries as 'consumables' rather than some monolithically expensive bits of kit, that they were when I first played airsoft.  If I kill a £10 battery (as long as it doesn't set fire to my house) it's not really an issue.  Killing a £40 Titan will still sting a bit (though their customer service on the first failure was excellent, had a new one couriered to me in days), but I will miss the idiot-proofing* and the huge mAH rating :( 

I've already put my order in for the cheapo Perun but those Gate Nano Hard is especially tempting.  I may change my order as I don't think it's been dispatched yet.

The Merf does indeed also tempt, but I hadn't asked this previously - how well do the burst fire modes work on the two-stage semi/semi semi/auto trigger system in an F2000?  Does that break the functionality?

* Idiot-wiring not included in idiot-proofing 

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

how well do the burst fire modes work on the two-stage semi/semi semi/auto trigger system in an F2000?  Does that break the functionality?

Those Fet's still use Standard contacts and a COL. So the fact it's a 2 stage trigger makes no difference. I've dropped my mates Merf into my AUG with the nano hard, And yes you can just drop them in if the gun is already setup on that system. And all the features work, you just have to retrain the cycle time so the functions work properly.

The 3rnd burst uses an internal timer. It times one cycle of the gun then uses that to be able to calculate 3 cycles. Sometimes it'll get it wrong but more often that not there pretty good.

I should of mentioned but didn't edit:

The merf has the same hard cut off as the Nano hard. so if the battery gets too low it'll just stop shooting. You just have the program it to be on the correct voltage. If it's set at 11.1 and you put a 7.4v in it it'll cut out very quickly - It doesn't sense the battery voltage, it just runs to set parameters.

Edited by Iceni

Thanks @Iceni I've changed my order from the Perun to the Merf.  This gun, if it runs well, is probably going to be my primary going forward, so might as well spend an extra few quid to make it as good as possible (it's already a bit of a money pit, compared to the great value of the DE)

So thanks for your advice, much appreciated :)

Update, because Titan have just got in touch.  Their engineer reckons 2 and a bit days of the battery left in my gun might have been enough to run it entirely flat to the point it couldn't recharge. 

Outside of the fact the DE MOSFET is supposed to cut power when it detects a low charge, and it had masses of charge left in after Saturday, and Li-ions aren't supposed to be vulnerable to that anyway, Titan have volunteered to send me another replacement!

I can only be impressed with that sort of customer service

It'll be a spare though, I've just ordered two 30c 11.1v Li-Pos from eBay, same ones as @Rogerborg ☺️

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Further update, I have to commend Titan on their customer service again - they've let me pay the difference to upgrade from the 7.4.v stick to the 11.1v nunchuck.  So as long as it doesn't die / I don't kill this one too, I'm well sorted for batteries!

This means I'll have a variety of C-ratings to play with... I'll probably stick with the lower ones in the DE just because it has a stock motor, and leave the high stuff to the F2000. 

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.