gas

mickyboy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, just been playing about with my aaop-1 which I received yesterday, it really does not like certain gas, therefore being very, very new to this game I phoned a man who put me right i.e. which gas to use he told me that I should be using red gas, so I have now ordered some. To many of you reading this, will think what a muppet should've known that but hey I was not to know. Thought I would put this on as something other newbies may learn as I have, cheers mick.

Yeah, its the common problem for all gas operated weapons.  In cold weather the gas does not expand as vigorously so loses power.

Therefore Red gas is recommended for Winter use as its compressed to a higher pressure in the bottle.

But do not use it when the temperature warms up as it will be over powered for use in games and possibly damage components.

I never use red gas in my pistols, but mine are basically all TMs. They still function on green in winter and if I put red gas in them I'd be scared that they would explode (TMs are designed to use 144a, but green gas in winter works because it's so cold). When it's really cold I just switch to the mp7 AEP or the mk23, as AEPs and non-blowback works all year round. With most pistols, especially the heavier metal-slide pistols, you need red gas during winter because it just doesn't work otherwise. However, as has been said, make sure you switch back to lower power gas when the weather heats up or you'll damage the pistol. I run my AAP on green gas even when it's around 10 degrees celcius and it works no problem, but any colder and it struggles.

20 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

And what exactly is red gas?

And what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?

Seriously, it’s thee next step up on the power level (expected psi) to green

Right...So we know that green is basically propane.  What is red after you remove the airsoft veneer?  Does anyone actually make a red gas other than Nuprol?

Before Nuprol came along, I don't think I've ever seen red gas.  Is it a mix of propylene & propane?

I never found the red useful . If I had something that was lackluster on green I go straight to black gas. Is quite rubbish that with that little bolt on the aap is not more efficient/weather proof.

Edited by heroshark

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
1 hour ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Right...So we know that green is basically propane.  What is red after you remove the airsoft veneer?  Does anyone actually make a red gas other than Nuprol?

Before Nuprol came along, I don't think I've ever seen red gas.  Is it a mix of propylene & propane?

https://uploads.patrolbase.co.uk/products/4900/nuprol gas series data sheet.pdf?download

(Clicking that will download a PDF for their gas specs for their range)

Looks like it's all just propane, with differing additives. Odd tbh as I wasn't aware additives could affect PSI to that degree.

58 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

https://uploads.patrolbase.co.uk/products/4900/nuprol gas series data sheet.pdf?download

(Clicking that will download a PDF for their gas specs for their range)

Looks like it's all just propane, with differing additives. Odd tbh as I wasn't aware additives could affect PSI to that degree.

May be something like map gas they add to up the pressure. Most recently I use the silicon free puff Dino power up gas in the cold and it serves me well.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

Went into a bit of a deep dive with this, spoke to someone semi-knowledgeable about vapour pressure.

The tl;dr from them is that you can over-pressurise a canister with the same gas (i.e. propane), to achieve differing levels of pressure. When filling the mag, the mag still retains that higher pressure. So I suppose their red/black/etc are simply higher pressure, as they claim.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Went into a bit of a deep dive with this, spoke to someone semi-knowledgeable about vapour pressure.

The tl;dr from them is that you can over-pressurise a canister with the same gas (i.e. propane), to achieve differing levels of pressure. When filling the mag, the mag still retains that higher pressure. So I suppose their red/black/etc are simply higher pressure, as they claim.

i always thought it was a mix of propane and butane, more propane there is (as a relative %) the higher the pressure.

although i don't really have any factual basis to back that up.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.