New to airsoft, question about the 'metal' used in full metal body airsoft guns

Pinto bean

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This is in regards to the latest versions of
TM MK18 GBB
GHK MK18 GBB
Eumarex Glock 19 GBB
Deserttech Silverback SRS A2 

I believe the Full Metal exteriors part is actually pot metal/zamak instead of pure aluminium or stamped steel.

Personally, I am interested in those guns as a collector, to use these for display purposes only.  

Now I think pot metal/zamak doesnt age too well regardless of how much you use it.  They're prone to cracking, bending, being brittle etc over time.

I also read a post about a guy pulling out his Full Metal bodied airsoft guns after around 10 years, only to find them bent, cracked or crumbled.

For you guys who have owned Full Metal airsoft guns for a couple of years,  how does the pot metal/zamak stand up to the test of time?  

Do they surprise you with cracks and other damages out of the blue?

If pot metal/zamak wont outlast me, even though I keep it hung on the wall to just look at,  I think it would be better for me to spend a few more dollars and just get the real steel guns.

What do you think?

• Supporters

Yes, most "metal" airsoft guns are cast alloy of varying degrees of shite.

That said, I've had plenty of cheap metal guns over the years that have been absolutely fine. As long as they're not damp and the finish is intact there's no reason they would corrode and I don't know of any that have just spontaneously bent or cracked unless they were stored VERY badly.

In terms of the specific guns you've mentioned they tend towards the better end of the spectrum in terms of fit and finish so you'd be starting off at a better place. Given the use of "dollars" I'm going to assume you're in the US so unless you're happy to skirt the law or just pay the tax stamps for an SBR then a true MK18 is going to be tricky thanks to the whole 10.3" barrel and full auto trigger group (although I'm sure there's ways around it because "muh freedums") but we can only really give you advice on airsoft stuff. As for spending a "few more dollars", I think ou'd need to add a couple of zeroes to your budget to get those as real firearms over airsoft replicas!

What @Lozart said.

Personally, if I only wanted to display, I’d go deacs everytime, as obviously they are the most accurate looking, handling and lasting non-firearms.

I've had a few of mine (cheaper makes) for about 4 years with no degradation except a layer of dust.

I doubt they'll deform unless in a poor environment like a garage or loft where they're exposed to extreme temperatures in summer & winter.

Those in your list will be made of the higher end metal so I doubt you'll have any problems.

Airsoft replicas will not look like blued steel if you want that effect (eg for an AK) but going by your list they would be painted/cerakoted anyway so should look 99.9% authentic.

If the airsoft version is cheaper than a deac then go for it.

Some of the AK aeg airsoft rifles, are made of pressed steel: LCT, E&L, even some of the Cyma models.

I had a couple of the LCT aeg ones. They were very solid and looked authentic.

As for gbb AKs the WE versions are steel, and the GHK ones are said to use the steel receivers made by LCT.

As far as I know, nobody makes a steel M4.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

As far as I know, nobody makes a steel M4.

Real ones are made of 7075 aluminium anyway so I don't see any reason why the airsoft ones would be made of steel.

There are some CNC billet receivers but they're definitely in the top end like Inokatsu, HAO etc

23 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

"Real ones are made of 7075 aluminium anyway so I don't see any reason why the airsoft ones would be made of steel."

Of course. What was I thinking?

Doh! Get in the corner lol

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.