Is a mock suppressor without an extended inner barrel bad for accuracy?

Harvem

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I got a long-ish suppressor that I want to use purely for looks. It's 5.9 inches long. However I don't have an extended inner barrel, so the BB will be going straight through the suppressor. I don't think BBs will really be hitting the inside of the suppressor, but would this affect accuracy? Maybe the air can't follow the BB so good or something like that? Anyone else running a mock suppressor without an extended inner barrel that could shine some light on this maybe? Thanks.

We're talking an AEG btw, not sure if that really matters though.

Edited by Harvem

depends on the suppressor, some have an inner tube that will allow the bb to exit without too much trouble, some have nothing and the bb can catch the endcap and be deflected

other are foam filled and can deflect the bb with loss of power

can all depend on the initial accuracy of the gun and movement etc

Hi. I've got a tm mk23 with foam filled suppressor an not had any issues with clipping and the power is right up there without barrel extension.

But agree that some mock suppressors can cause probs.

• Supporters

as long as the can is lined up properly and the bb isn't hitting anything on the way out then it's not really an issue.

if it's not lined up and the bb clips part of the can on the way out then it'll properly ruin accuracy, but that will be very obvious.

it's relatively common for hpa's to run suppressors without inner barrels because you do get an actual noise reduction, and i never noticed a lack of performance from doing it.

plus you can put a tracer unit inside

• Supporters

You should be fine on a typical AEG.  I have had issues on a plastic MP5K where the front end can flex, and when putting a long suppressor onto an AEG with a chewed up thread (huzzah for Chinesium pot metal).  Normally though, no problem.

There’s a lot of science stuff that I’ve forgotten that would relate to this.

Theres a ball being blown out of a tube, that then comes out and gets exposed to the open atmosphere.

In this case the ball could be flying in the air whilst still enclosed by a bigger tube. Gravity will have an effect but if it’s fast enough it won’t drop to hit the bottom of the big tube before it gets out.

If you move will it hit the side, be unaffected because the air it’s in moves with it, or still manage to make it with any effect too small to notice ?

My guess is that you won’t notice any difference between exiting barrel and exiting extended dummy suppressor.

Next is whether or not there is any effect on its final accuracy / consistency?

My guess again is that you won’t notice anything. But there is something in the science about easing barrel air pressure before full exposure to the atmosphere and that can be beneficial to consistency - but it’s likely to be unnoticed and not on the scale of real firearm ballistics.

I can concur that with high pressure air that I have working paintball supressors that make the exit quieter, and also that I have attempted to make suppressors that ended up amplifying the barrels exhaust air

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.