Piston head O-rings vs performance tests

Ad_

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

interesting stuff.

did you check consistency as well as out and out fps?

reason is i've intuitively leaned towards tighter o rings on the basis i'd rather lose a little energy to friction and keep as much air as possible.

would be interesting to know.

I did watch out for that while testing, but there was no notable difference in consistency between them. I don't think you're likely to lose any power/suffer consistency issues to such air loss unless the cylinder is undervolumed for the spring strength & barrel in use.

Edit to add: All of the O-rings I tested here do seal fully against the cylinder without relying on pressure ahead of the piston to form a seal, so there shouldn't have been any losses that way... the only piston head O-ring that's loose-fitting enough to not seal outright is in my P90RD & I'm not going to take that apart and mess about with it/invite problems while it's running well

Edited by Ad_

Interesting results.

I remember when I first opened a gearbox I was initially confused by the 'loose' O-ring on the piston head 😆

I assume the elasticity of the rubber plays a part as well.

Interesting.  The traditional way to tune airguns was to gently sand an overtight o-ring/piston seal until it allowed the piston to slide freely under its own weight only when your finger was removed from blocking the transfer port (think nozzle) the cylinder held upright port upwards, piston fully forward. 

I was told that this was too tight and that a secret of tuning was to remove just enough that it just moved wen the port was blocked.  Doing that gave similar results to those that you found.  The looser fitting seal gave better fps.  

Likewise, low friction seals made from PTFE performed better than 'grippy' rubber ones.  

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.