G&G GR25 Malfunction

BoneyT

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Good evening Hive Brain. So my son and I were at Driver Wood yesterday and he was using his G&G GR25 when towards the end of the day it just locked up on him. Today we put in a fresh, fully charged battery but still nothing. My son tells me he's seen on google that if you fire too quickly this can happen.

My questions are:

1. Is he correct?

2. If not, then what are the likely causes?

3. How do we fix it?

Thank you brothers and sisters!

• Supporters

does the trigger feel like it's locked?

if the col is at just the wrong position it can block the trigger, how the gun is setup for cycling will influence how easily/often it can happen but spamming the trigger can be a cause.

if it is that then the solution is (well, for most guns) simple- flip to auto and a burst will clear it.

for a semi only gun it's a bit trickier, possibly the quickest way (read: least dissassembly) i can think of would be to use a hex driver through the nozzle to manually push the piston back to reset the cycle, you want to use something with a flat end though to not mess up the piston, needless to say disconnect the battery when doing that and keep a firm grip because once you push the piston all the way back the full force of the spring will be trying to catapult the piston forwards.

maybe the dmr guys have a better solution, i mostly work with select fire so don't have to clear that problem manually.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

the quickest way (read: least dissassembly) i can think of would be to use a hex driver through the nozzle to manually push the piston back to reset the cycle

That's an absolutely horrifying idea which I could not possibly advocate even though I've done it several times. ;) 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, BoneyT said:

Good evening Hive Brain. So my son and I were at Driver Wood yesterday and he was using his G&G GR25 when towards the end of the day it just locked up on him. Today we put in a fresh, fully charged battery but still nothing. My son tells me he's seen on google that if you fire too quickly this can happen.

My questions are:

1. Is he correct?

2. If not, then what are the likely causes?

3. How do we fix it?

Thank you brothers and sisters!

Yes, the design of the V2 gearbox is such that if you spam the trigger then you can end up with the cut off lever out of whack which then locks the gearbox. Usually on a select fire gun you can switch to auto, fire a burst and then you're away again.

You can unlock the gearbox by either doing what has been suggested above (although with the obvious caveat that if you lose an eye we never told you to do it) or by taking off the pistol grip and unlatching the anti reversal latch.

To stop it happening again, your best bet is to fit a decent mosfet that can do full cycle completion (Gate Titan or Aster, Perun V2 Hybrid etc). That way the gun will not fire again until the gearbox has cycled fully and the cut off lever won't end up out of place again. It also means you can set up precocking which is lovely and great for a DMR type gun. You can achieve this with a lower spec mosfet such as a Gate Warfet but it's a bit more hit and miss and takes more setting up because you need to tune the ROF control to slow you down enough to not lock up and precocking is again doable but needs a bit more judgement on getting it in the best place.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

That's an absolutely horrifying idea which I could not possibly advocate even though I've done it several times. ;) 

yeah, personally i'd rather:

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

taking off the pistol grip and unlatching the anti reversal latch.

but that does require further dissassembly.

would be good if more guns had a system similar to the RS svd which afaik has a little lever hidden in the magwell that actuates the arl.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Lozart said:

It also means you can set up precocking which is lovely and great for a DMR type gun

While simping for the rest of your post, I would take slight issue with this.  Precock would be awesome for CQB where every femtosecond can matter to trading off with Oberleutnant Overkill, but for a gun with a 25-30m med, which only has an advantage over an autogun at 50m+, I'd say that it's less important as you're only going to be hitting stationary or moving-towards-you targets anyway.

I mean, I'd love pre-cock on any of my toys, but I can't think of many DMR shots I've taken where it would have made a difference to real hits that I could actually have made if only I hadn't had that extra 50 milliseconds of spin up time.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

While simping for the rest of your post, I would take slight issue with this.  Precock would be awesome for CQB where every femtosecond can matter to trading off with Oberleutnant Overkill, but for a gun with a 25-30m med, which only has an advantage over an autogun at 50m+, I'd say that it's less important as you're only going to be hitting stationary or moving-towards-you targets anyway.

I mean, I'd love pre-cock on any of my toys, but I can't think of many DMR shots I've taken where it would have made a difference to real hits that I could actually have made if only I hadn't had that extra 50 milliseconds of spin up time.

Ah but it's all about stability, innit. The less effort you put into squeezing the trigger, the less likely you are to pull your shot off target. 

Plus..

5338466.jpg.787fd60fb80cc84621eb3c82f8e5aed9.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.