I Bought an M4. Project.

Asomodai

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Picked up this G&P Magpul M4 with a locked up gearbox/trigger and missing stock and stock tube. Snagged it for 50 quid!

Completely stock but with Magpul receiver, Pistol grip, handguard and foregrip. 

Do you guys think it's Foliage Green or Olive Drab? I am thinking the former myself.

Cracked it open, seems that the cocking lever spring has been overstretched so the bolt cover won't spring back as it should. The selector plate was broken in half.

One of the gearbox shell screws was overtightened and I had to drill it out.

In the gearbox I found the spur gear shaft completely sheared off and the motor pinion well worn. Replaced the spur gear, Air seal was OK, but I switched out the full cylinder for a 4/5ths as well as a new piston and cylinder head (which had to be modified to fit the gearbox protrusions)

Seems to be working OK if a little bit tight sounding.

Going to grab some parts from AK2M4 to get her really purring, as well as a stock tube and stock. The intention is to have a full set of M4A1 and Magpul furniture to switch between. 

Parts list to purchase:

22TPA Neo motor

13:1 Gearset

V2 Selector plate

Replacement screws/springs

AOLS 363mm Barrel

Guarder Clear hop rubber

AR Latch

ZCI CNC steel Stock tube

Magpul PTS MOE Stock

M4A1 Stock

Parts acquired:

Perun Mosfet

Tokyo Marui M4A1 Kac style Handguard.

20210423_014836.jpg

Edited by Asomodai

Ever buy a boneyard gun for a bargain price thinking - 'this will be a quick fix to get back up and running', and ended up with a complete money pit?

Yeh - I'm in the same boat with one of my guns....

56 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Ever buy a boneyard gun for a bargain price thinking - 'this will be a quick fix to get back up and running', and ended up with a complete money pit?

Yeh - I'm in the same boat with one of my guns....

My fault to be honest. I Widened the cylinder head holes to fit the gearbox and I guess I drilled in the wrong place resulting in this! 

Still, it is worth 50 quid for the externals alone! 

Looking at going for a Lonex gearbox replacement. 

1 minute ago, Asomodai said:

Still, it is worth 50 quid for the externals alone! 

Looking at going for a Lonex gearbox replacement. 

Indeed. £50 is a steal really for what you got.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.