Airsoft Forums UK

What Are People Doing for UKARA Nowadays?

rj1986

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey folks. Not posted in an age as airsoft has been sadly on the backburner for me for the past 2 or 3 years, but I've been looking in and this thread caught my eye as I was wondering how lockdowns had affected UKARA registrations etc. I hope to get to a game or 2 again soon. I have been upgrading a couple of my RIFs during lockdown and it seems to have reignited the spark (being the wrong side of 50 doesn't help!).

Due mainly to working most weekends my UKARA lapsed a few years ago. My local site membership is fairly expensive, though pays for itself after several games (due to discount), plus you get 2 free Social events a year which is fair enough, if you can go several times a year. As my local sites don't hold midweek or evening games outside of the odd special event I couldn't go often enough to maintain my site membership, and hence UKARA, and these aspects annoy me more than any other - ie only registered if you pay the membership fee, the annual requirement to "renew it or lose it", and that you need enough free weekends to qualify in the first place. But I digress, it is what it is, just my opinions.

The retailers created the UKARA defences so it is primarily in their interest to make it as straightforward as possible for existing registered players to be able to renew their details, sites being non operational during lockdown being the weak link currently (and understandably) it seems. I am another who is in the position of having cash to buy new toys, but I can't due to the rules.

I was interested to read about the "other defences" mentioned (Cosplay etc) too.

From mine and my mate's experience with UKARA renewals, it's all up to the club/site you register with. At the one we're registered, you can set up automatic renewal each year as long as you're a member. You still have to get your first three games with them initially, but as long as you've been previously registered, they should renew it for you at their discretion.

Also, unless the rules have recently changed UKARA is a valid defence from purchasing RIFs from retailers, not owning or playing with them. If you already own a RIF, you don't technically need UKARA.

That said, I am happy to be corrected, if any of this is a bull...

Edited by shadowfacex
addendum for willingness to be corrected

11 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

might be worth a shot.

Very good. See what you done there. Lol

Regards 

24 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

@straffham what were you planning on buying?  I know some retailers would take a forum profile as valid defense, might be worth a shot.

Hi Pete, thanks for that, not busting for any one RIF in particular, although I'd like an Ares L1A1 (having missed them twice now for the reasons stated) and/or an S&T Sterling but both are in short supply it seems. 

In specific defence terms I wouldn't want to be seen as taking the pee though, it's not like my UKARA has just run out. Mind you if buying aftermarket upgrade parts helped with my defence (mainly several gear sets off you over the past couple of months) I'd be sorted!

Cheers.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.