Changing My Hop on M4 AEG

padraigthesniper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My guns performance is lacking a bit. I think patrol base did a bad job lowering the fps or something maybe reseated the barrel off a little bit. Ever since ive had this m4 even brand new out the box its shot strays now and again. I recently put time and effort into cleaning the barrel and keeping the mags spotless from dirt. This helped the accuracy but the stray shots and inconsisiency when compared to AEGs of similar spec is annoying. So i plan to replace the hop to get the best consistency ive been looking at Maple leaf buckings and hop nubs. Ive changed a hop up once before and did a bad job last time. Any advice from you guys would be appreciated. Should i try to flat hop? whatever that means? whats a R hop? should i just buy a maple leaf bucking use a normal nub?

Should i upgrade my inner barrel while im at it?

this is the gun its been skirmished 5 times now.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e11-edge-carbine?fv=9064

Cheers guys

Merry christmas

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

maple leaf bucking with omega nub is probably the best performance to effort ratio imo.

you get the same results as flat/rhop but without the effort to modify the bucking.

Just took you're suggestion bought the Maple Leaf Omega Nub and Maple Leaf Macaron Concave Bucking 50° thanks for advice just want the gun to shoot consitent im not a bad shot but sometimes these strays get me hit lol

• Supporters
1 hour ago, padraigthesniper said:

Just took you're suggestion bought the Maple Leaf Omega Nub and Maple Leaf Macaron Concave Bucking 50° thanks for advice just want the gun to shoot consitent im not a bad shot but sometimes these strays get me hit lol

fingers crossed that's all thats up. unfortunately the world of accuracy (or what passes in airsoft for accuracy) is a rabbit hole that gets very deep, very expensive, and very technical very fast.

The maple leaf nub and bucking should see you good in terms of consistency, I'm assuming you use good quality bbs? A bad batch of some will give you random shots in different directions slightly

Yeah i let you guys know how it goes once it gets here in the new year probably. Just want a consistent shooting AEG if this doesnt work i'll probs just buy a new one thats pre upgraded like a Modify or Krytac one next year. Im using Geoff bbs so its deffo nothing to do with the bb's. 

5 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

could be a variety of issues tbh, from the inner barrel to the hop chamber to the nozzle.  every aeg is different so it's trial and error majority of the time.  What you may find with the Maple Leaf 50 shore bucking is the Omega nub is too hard (happens with some chambers)

This is what i was afraid of i just want a gun that works im a very ocd person the small problems always bug me. Well i guess i'll just hope and see if it doesnt work as intended i'll be back for more advice lol

• Supporters

Now thats a loaded question.

Edgi seem to be very highly regarded when it comes to top of the line, but you're talking bespoke craftsmanship.

Personally i'm a big fan of the pdi stainless steel stuff pricey but good quality.

For a more budget option the zci 6.02 stainless barrels @ak2m4 sells punch well above their pricetag for performance.

• 2 weeks later...

After changing the barrel to a madbul ver 2 tightbore, zci hop up chamber, maple leaf 50, maple leaf omega nub. The accuracy change is very noticable gun shoots like a laser from the initial test could cut the heads off flowers. The hop is a bit stiff and is strongl but with it on the slightest amount its carrying .2s just fine im gonna use 2.5s from now on. The fps is consistent but the fps dropped from 334 with original barrel to 318 with new barrel. Im guessing this is becuase the hop is stronger will it wear in? Over all very happy with the consitency upgrade the gun shoots much more accurate. 

Put a few thousands rounds of cheap ammo through it( Not shit BBs bust just light and cheap ).
That will be as bedded in as you are going to get it. 

It took a bag of bbs before my Flathop bedded on my PTW. 

Then if your FPS hasn't moved. Then that's just how it is, you need a bigger spring :)

I would have expected a slight increase in FPS with a tight-bore and the maple leaf stuff, since you ( again airsoft science ) should lose less around the outside of the BB in the barrel and should if done right have a better seal than stock. 

I would recommend upping your ammo weight if you want consistency and accuracy. I had great results with .28's but I am now only running .32's. 
With the setup you have, hopping will not be an issues and they will carry their energy a little further and be less affected by wind. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.