Smith Boogie Regulators Airsoft Warning: Should I Return Them?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I hear lots of people using these and I thought they looked pretty awesome. I fancied trying something lower profile than my Dye i4s and I had a notion to see if I can solve the fogging people complained about with the Boogies using a DIY helmet mounted fan setup. The thing is, the instruction manual specifically says "This goggle is not designed for use in the sport of paintball or Airsoft." My guess is it's just a way of covering asses/shirking responsibility and the ratings mean they'll stand up to anything in airsoft; does Smith just stick this on all their products? Or is there something specific about them that makes them unsafe?

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
14 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

So I hear lots of people using these and I thought they looked pretty awesome. I fancied trying something lower profile than my Dye i4s and I had a notion to see if I can solve the fogging people complained about with the Boogies using a DIY helmet mounted fan setup. The thing is, the instruction manual specifically says "This goggle is not designed for use in the sport of paintball or Airsoft." My guess is it's just a way of covering asses/shirking responsibility and the ratings mean they'll stand up to anything in airsoft; does Smith just stick this on all their products? Or is there something specific about them that makes them unsafe?

With eyepro, you need to ensure you've got a pair which have been impact tested against a set list of standards. There are many standards used to test ballistic goggles, check them out here

Your goggles are rated to MIL-DTL-43511D standard - here's the definition:

The ballistic test is conducted using the caliber 0.22, 17 grain according to T37 FSP (fragment simulating projectiles). The velocity of the projectile is detected by a light beam 34,29 cm (13,5 inches) in front of the test sample. Penetrations are determined by examining of an aluminum foil mounted behind the visor. Sample gets shot on the right and left side.
The test sample is required to withstand 167,6-170,7 m/s (550-560 fps) velocity.

So essentially they're firing a ~1.1-gram projectile (bbs are normally .2 to .48) at 170 metres a second, around 16 joules, which is a far higher energy level than you'll likely ever see in an Airsoft game.

Personally, these goggles are fine for use.

• Supporters

I concur with the good Doctor, these far exceed the safety rating of most of the glasses that you'll see on an airsoft field.  On the fogging, fan is the way to go, although removing that face seal from the Boogies - or at least from the top of them - would help.

However, Pyramex i-Force dual panes do a fairly good job too, and for less than the the Boogies.

19 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I fancied trying something lower profile than my Dye i4s

Hmmm the reason I can't be arsed trying anything else is because my dye is so good.  But Roger is right ventalation is the only way to go if you want to use something else.

The inherint problem with low profile eye protection is less air between your eyes and the lenses.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

My revisions say the same on their 'instruction' manual as i think my ESS ones do as wel, ,its the get out clause

you know they should be safe :D

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

On the fogging, fan is the way to go, although removing that face seal from the Boogies - or at least from the top of them - would help.

I've already had at them with a knife! I found I needed to cut lumps out for my neanderthal brows and robust nose. I think they should be quite good though; almost every eye injury I've heard of with goggles have been to do with BBs deflecting upwards off mouth protection; can't happen with these since they sit comfortably behind.

I'm looking forward to the fan project though I think it's going to work out well. Got a 5cm blower fan that I'm going to install in a rear vent, then I'll attach a hose tail to the exhaust on the blower, a y-splitter on the front of the helmet, then pipe it so it should all be hidden under the helmet.

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

However, Pyramex i-Force dual panes do a fairly good job too, and for less than the the Boogies.

I've had them before they don't cover enough of the space under my eyes. Also only 6/10 tacticool how will people understand they're dealing with a serious oper8or?

4 hours ago, Musica said:

Hmmm the reason I can't be arsed trying anything else is because my dye is so good. 

I strongly suspect I'm going to end up agreeing with you. I put on Dyes and forget they exist they're so comfortable and they've never fogged once in two years.

1 hour ago, djben9 said:

My revisions say the same on their 'instruction' manual as i think my ESS ones do as wel, ,its the get out clause

That's very reassuring thanks, I thought that might be the case and loads of people are happily using Revisions.

• Supporters

ESS put the same airsoft warning in the manual for the Profile goggles. But they also sell the "Cortex Clip" which is a nose shield that clips onto a standard pair of Profile goggles specifically for playing airsoft!

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I've already had at them with a knife!

Then it would be a bit cheeky to return them. :D

I'm looking forward to the fan project though I think it's going to work out well. Got a 5cm blower fan that I'm going to install in a rear vent, then I'll attach a hose tail to the exhaust on the blower, a y-splitter on the front of the helmet, then pipe it so it should all be hidden under the helmet

One of these?

50mm x 15mm 5015 12V Dual Ball Bearing DC Brushless Cooling Blower ...

Yup, works a treat, I've put one on my lid running off small 7.4v 300mAh lipos that just tuck up inside it. I tried a 3.7v 18650 battery but it didn't spin it up quite fast enough, so I'd suggest 7.4V, or you could use a step up regulator like this.  If it's attached directly to the lid, you will hear a fair bit of noise, but you only need to run it as necessary, not all the time - I would recommend fitting a switch.

I didn't bother with a splitter, just ran a single piece of (initially) soft silicone tubing from around back, through the helmet shell behind the ear, and running around under the brow of the helmet.  However, silicone tubing is so soft and squishy that it's a sod to cut holes in it, you have to snip out wedges, and I wasn't happy with the result.  So I replaced the section inside the helmet with clear 5mm ID / 8mm OD aquarium tube which you can drill holes into.  Two holes above either eye seems OK, although I may drill another on the side furthest from the blower.  Just be aware that your helmet brow will likely be in front of your goggles, so you'll have to point your tubing / holes at an angle backwards towards you, not just straight down.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

What did you use to connect the fan to the hose

Stepped down sections of plastic hose.  I had a piece of 12mm ID to hand and heated it in hot water until I could stretch and re-shape it to match the fan outlet, then hot-glued it in place. It then steps down a smaller section, which steps down to a length of flexible silicone hose, with the joins being covered with heat-shrink.

This is it in situ, boxed in with EVA foam and still being filled and sanded to neaten it up.  The perspective makes it look much bigger than it really is!  This is my 40K Imperial Guard impression lid, so it's actually meant to have a box on the back - might as well use it for something.

image.png.7048fbc92d8a2ad09b75b23e3aed7a30.png

Entering the shell behind the ear.  If you were to angle the fan outlet down, you could run tubing under the shell rather than drilling through it.

image.png.c20aecf8461cfd0c11f98ae79b27a737.png

And then switching from silicone back to PVC for the section under the brim.  You can't really make out the holes, but they're facing backwards more than downwards.

image.png.c9a2a41bed9f29feb14a68a8738f0bab.png

A 9V battery should work well, I just happened to have these small 7.4V lipos spare so I've tucked one up above the switch.

I've done a steam test on my i-Forces, completely steaming them over a kettle then running the fan and they clear in a few seconds.

Bit more smoothing and paint and we're good to go.

• Moderators
On 23/07/2020 at 16:26, Lozart said:

ESS put the same airsoft warning in the manual for the Profile goggles. But they also sell the "Cortex Clip" which is a nose shield that clips onto a standard pair of Profile goggles specifically for playing airsoft!

i know, ive got one, been a year since i last used it i totally forgot!:lol:

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.