Army Armament 1911 Pistols to learn how to tech gas?

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all. 

I am looking to learn how to work on gas internals and seeing some good deals on Army Armament pistols overseas, Looking at the Detonics 1911 and a standard 1911. I know how to do basic maintenance and replace the barrel and hop rubbers on a 1911, M9 and Hi Cappa, but nothing beyond that.

I am fully aware of the downfalls of 1911s, but they are my favourite style pistols and I already have 3 TM M45A1 mags ready to use. 

Anything fundamentally wrong with the AA 1911s? I heard they are pretty much straight TM clones. 

Also looking at the AA G36 GBBR, though I am not sure I am ready to learn how to tech one of those (I believe these are WE clones?)

Should I be looking at something else like the Golden Eagle pistols? 

What I’ve found is the minutiae are important. AA will help you understand how it all works together, what sears do etc etc, and for not a lot of money. 
I say go for it.

Personally, I learnt on Glocks because I like them, and have found them relatively simple to understand, which I then extrapolated to the majority of other pistols

They are a lot more simple than you think; it's just a moving bolt that hits a few reset buttons each trigger pull. It's just mechanically demanding due to forces exerted.

But ye, pretty much every cheap gas blowback pistol works the same way. GBBRs are just larger scale gas pistol internals.

Cheers for the help gents. 

I have decided to leave it for now, what money I had had to be spent on parts for my AEGS :(

Sorry for wasting your time. One for the future! 

17 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Out of interest, what sort of money are we talking?

Taiwangun have a AA Detonics copy for 36 quid and the R27s for around 42. 

23 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Wow, that is cheap, even with postage and their PayPal mugging.

Yeah! I really wanted the silver 1911 and the detonics. 

Archived