Gun and face setup for a "newb"?

Mehusieni
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've recently wanted to get back to airsoft after not playing for 7 years, but have some doubts concerning some problems I had while playing. The field I previously played at was really big, but due to the playerbase, we mostly played on a small area only, which made my bolt-action rifle useless. Got a G&G M4-style AEG after that, but the gun felt a bit boring to play with. Short barrel made it inaccurate, feeding issues, way the gun felt, wanting a gun with more character, etc. So now if I really want to get back to airsoft, I want to do things the way I wanted then, but couldn't afford to or know how to do. I'm only going to play once a week in the summer in temperatures 10-30 degrees C.

First is face setup. The mesh face mask I had at the time, was a pain to get good cheekweld with, but now they make those same type of masks with padding on the cheeks so problem solved. Paired with goggles I had were notorious at fogging. I've heard the antifog sprays are horrible, but now they make goggles with a built-in fan like the Smith turbo fan, but they don't sell them anymore for some reason. Also found a company that makes a device, which you can install to your goggles and it recirculates air.

Does anyone know any good relatively cheap non-fogging goggles to start-out with? Maybe play a few games to see, if I actually enjoy it that much to buy something else with a little more high-tech.

Now the gun. Buying an expensive high quality brand gun new would be a waste in my opinion so I've narrowed my search down a bit. I've fixed and built motorcycles and cars, so fixing a used AEG should be a relatively easy in comparison. I'd want something a bit more rare than your average AK or M16. Also it doesn't need to have an insane fire rate, I'm mainly interested having the gun shoot accurately and good trigger response.

Options:

Cyma CM.518 (Cheap new, easy to upgrade I've heard) https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/cm-518-cyma

G&G F2000 (Coolest looking gun I've seen. Seen them for sale ~100-250€ depending on mods and accessories. I know they have problems with the fire selector, but looks compensate for that.

This SCAR-L currently on sale (picture below). It's listed for sale for 200€ without battery or charger. I have no idea what brand it is or how old it is. Is it overpriced in your guy's opinion?

"Selling my backup gun. Very little wear. Feeds well. Around 22rps.

-Madbull tight bore trk-barrel

-Airsoft pro hop-up

-Madbull hop-up rubber

-Aluminium jet with O-ring

-Piston with fully metallic teeth

-POM pistonhead

-M100 spring (fires 1.28-1.3J)

-18:1 gears

-Shimmed

-Deans connectors"

Bad translation, but you get the point. Help me bois😎

scar.png

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome back.

12 hours ago, Mehusieni said:

Short barrel made it inaccurate,

Not really.  Any AEG with a barrel of 200mm or so upwards performs much the same.

Does anyone know any good relatively cheap non-fogging goggles to start-out with? Maybe play a few games to see, if I actually enjoy it that much to buy something else with a little more high-tech.

Oh, fogging, how I hate it.  You can try Pyramex iForce dual pane goggles.  They help with fogging, but they're not magic and some folk can fog them up.  Revision anti-fog wipes are the least useless wipe/spray/gloop that I've tried, but again, they have their limits

If you're looking at TaiwanGun anyway, fan goggles are fairly cheap and they do work.  I'd suggest these ones:

https://www.taiwangun.com/en/glasses-goggles/protective-goggle-mod-2-with-built-in-anti-fog-fan-black-fma?q=fan&campaign-id=14

But if you like fettling things, you can DIY double glaze any goggles that you get, which I find really works well.  Get an A4 sheet of 0.7mm PETG plastic and some 2mm double sided foam, cut out the PETG to fit inside the stock lens, run a thin strip of foam around the edge, butting up any joins tightly, and stick it in place inside the polycarbonate.  Cheap and simple to do and works a treat for me.

Cyma CM.518 (Cheap new, easy to upgrade I've heard) https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/cm-518-cyma

The cheap CYMAs are actually perfectly usable, but the plastic feels very cheap (because it is).  Your G&G feels a lot nicer in the hand.

Can't speak to the other choices, I like my cheap vendor trash toy guns. ;)

Not what you want to hear but just rent for a few games. Cheapest eye pro that do well for fogging are pyramex i-force.  I used them with revision wipes and it helped a lot but only my dye i5 has eliminated it for me my friend still gets a bit in his i5 so it's not a fix for everyone.

23 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Ahoy and welcome back.

Not really.  Any AEG with a barrel of 200mm or so upwards performs much the same.

Oh, fogging, how I hate it.  You can try Pyramix iForce dual pane goggles.  They help with fogging, but they're not magic and some folk can fog them up.  Revision anti-fog wipes are the least useless wipe/spray/gloop that I've tried, but again, they have their limits

If you're looking at TaiwanGun anyway, fan goggles are fairly cheap and they do work.  I'd suggest these ones:

https://www.taiwangun.com/en/glasses-goggles/protective-goggle-mod-2-with-built-in-anti-fog-fan-black-fma?q=fan&campaign-id=14

But if you like fettling things, you can DIY double glaze any goggles that you get, which I find really works well.  Get an A4 sheet of 0.7mm PETG plastic and some 2mm double sided foam, cut out the PETG to fit inside the stock lens, run a thin strip of foam around the edge, butting up any joins tightly, and stick it in place inside the polycarbonate.  Cheap and simple to do and works a treat for me.

The cheap CYMAs are actually perfectly usable, but the plastic feels very cheap (because it is).  Your G&G feels a lot nicer in the hand.

Can't speak to the other choices, I like my cheap vendor trash toy guns. ;)

Thanks for reply. I think the gun was on it's way out, because I couldn't get the it to shoot accurately by adjusting the hop-up.

About those goggles. Are they safe, because on these and many of the cheap goggles sold on the website has this disclaimer:

WARNING! PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE DURING tactical games / WAR / ASG. The manufacturer or seller (KRAKMAN sp. z o.o. sp.k.) is not responsible for product damage incurred in connection with the use of games in the tactical / military / ASG. The manufacturer or seller (KRAKMAN sp. z o.o. sp.k.) shall not be liable for any injury to person or property arising from the use of the product during tactical games / war / ASG.

Also what about those Pyramix iForce ones? They seem to be general safety goggles not specifically meant for airsoft.

I don't mind cheap plastic. Games where I play are semi slow-phased so I'm not going to be bashing it to every rock that comes on my way. The cheap price for a brand new gun just caught my eye and I've heard the cymas are not that crap and easily modified

3 minutes ago, Mehusieni said:

Also what about those Pyramix iForce ones? They seem to be general safety goggles not specifically meant for airsoft.

novy rebrands them. valken rebrand them they are sold for airsoft use.

8 hours ago, Mehusieni said:

About those goggles. Are they safe, because on these and many of the cheap goggles sold on the website has this disclaimer:

WARNING! PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE DURING tactical games / WAR / ASG. The manufacturer or seller (KRAKMAN sp. z o.o. sp.k.) is not responsible for product damage incurred in connection with the use of games in the tactical / military / ASG. The manufacturer or seller (KRAKMAN sp. z o.o. sp.k.) shall not be liable for any injury to person or property arising from the use of the product during tactical games / war / ASG.

Always put me off buying eyepro off them because of that.  But im sure its just a 'dont sue us if they break and take your eyes with it' disclaimer. 

I have one pair of asg double glazed ones that are out of stock everywhere now. I been thinking of getting a spare now that they are over a year old just incase the decide to die.  Got close ranged a month back and could have sworn i felt the lenses buckle.  They look fine though.

• Supporters

I'm not aware of any eye protection that is sold as being intended for use in airsoft.

The common EU impact protection standard is EN166.

EN166F rated lenses are good for a 45m/s impact by a 0.86g steel BB.  That's only 0.871 J, but with a much denser BB than you should experience in airsoft (although I'm genuinely concerned by the emergence of 0.5g+ BBs for reasons ranted about earlier).

EN166B rated lenses are good for a 120m/s impact by a 0.86g steel BB, or 6.19 J

So notionally we should only be using EN166B rated eye protection.

However, some things to note:

1) Individual paned glasses lenses aren't allowed to be impact rated to EN166B.  Only single pane goggles can have the lens B rated.

2) There's a huge step up between F and B, like 7x the impact energy.

3) Just because something is F rated rather than B doesn't imply that it just barely reaches F.

Me, I'm happy with 2mm+ of polycarb in CQB with point blank shots up to 1.13J and 0.25g BBs.  I've had no concerns with iForce, those FMA fan goggles, or even generic unbranded single paned goggles.  I love being shot in the goggles, its one of the few places guaranteed not to hurt.

On the CYMAs, they really are OK internally.  No bells, no whistles, built down to a budget, but they shoot BBs in the direction that you're pointing them and as you say, everything in there can be upgraded when time and budget allows.  I'd say they're the cheapest viable way to just get out there and be 90% as effective as any other (site and statute) legal toy gun.

Welcome back.

Eyepro has been discussed countless times on this forum, just by typing "goggles" or "fogging" in the search box you'll find plenty of information :)

as far as guns go, Cyma really stepped up in quality over the years. I remember the first cyma AKs I've seen 10 years ago, they were terrible. Now I'm almost tempted to buy one myself..

Can't really comment on their M4s as I have yet to see one though.

Archived