JG G36 Hop Up

CrashStacy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Used my new JG G36 for the first time this weekend. When trying to adjust the hop it didn't seem to make any difference to trajectory.

I hear I may have to bed it in..... Run a few thousand rounds through it etc.

Any advice from others that have had one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Supporters

did you do the full range of motion?

what weight of ammo are you running?

what's the fps (as in actual chrono fps not the manufacturer rated, to be sure there's no issue there)?

one thing to bear in mind is there can be a point where too much hop will obstruct the bb's and cause issues, so make sure to go through the range of motion with small increments and when you've narrowed in get finer and finer.

the other alternative is it might not have enough lift from factory, i've noticed this with we pistols for example that especially with heavier ammo they don't have enough travel to get a proper hop. the best way to check this is to have a look down the barrel while turning the hop on to make sure the hump actually appears in the barrel.

I did go from full hop to no hop. Didn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

It was running on 0.2 bbs and chrono fps was 310 on the day

I will try to see down the barrel while adjusting the hop

Thanks for your help.

• Supporters

As above, plus what BBs are you using?  Kilo9 bio BBs wouldn't hop at all in any of my guns.  Thinking about it, I wonder if they made them under-sized to account for them swelling once the packed had been opened.  In any case, I just binned most of them once I realised it was the BBs and not the hop units.

Oh, we've heard tales of guns shipping with hop nubs missing, and it's easy enough to imagine why such a tiny piece might get lost during construction.  If you can't see clearly down the barrel, it's easy enough to disassemble.  There are a few G36 teardown videos out there, and it's just a case of removing the handguard/battery cover, taking out three pretty obvious screws, then separating the front of the gun.  You don't even really need to disconnect the battery cable, there's enough free play to turn the outer barrel sideways and extract the hop unit and inner barrel.  The only non-obvious part is that they come loose by pressing the hop unit forwards slightly, then rotating it 90 degrees, and withdrawing it backwards along with the inner barrel.  it's clear enough why once you get it apart,  and easier done than explained, so don't be afraid to have a look in there.

I've had brand new RIF's with torn buckings straight out of the box. Worth disassembling it and checking/ replacing if necessary.

Archived