HPA connector type

Adolf Hamster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

i'm blaming @proffrink for this not being in the hpa FAQ but here goes

basically i'm looking to do some "custom" hpa tinkering and whilst i have the gun internals figured out i was wondering if anyone knew the name of the connector type usually used to connect the gun to the rest of the rig.

specifically polarstar if it makes a difference, as to begin with its likely i'll be borrowing my mates tank/line when i want to test this creation out.

27 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'm blaming @proffrink for this not being in the hpa FAQ but here goes

basically i'm looking to do some "custom" hpa tinkering and whilst i have the gun internals figured out i was wondering if anyone knew the name of the connector type usually used to connect the gun to the rest of the rig.

specifically polarstar if it makes a difference, as to begin with its likely i'll be borrowing my mates tank/line when i want to test this creation out.

If you mean the bit on the gun side of the connection, I think it's called a fill nipple.  The one on my Tippmann M4 looks like the picture in the link below.

Cheers

G

https://www.justpaintball.co.uk/empire-pmi-fill-nipple-kit-v3.html

• Supporters

yeah the bit that normally pokes out the grip, i'm running 6mm air line to it then it just needs to connect to the rest of the system.

was wondering if there's a technical name for it, as i'm sure it must be based off some existing air connector.

• Root Admin

It's a US spec. quick disconnect with a push fitting for a 6mm macro line (the plastic bit).

Also you might want to not use 6mm macro where possible - it kinks and breaks. Buy a proper airline.

2 hours ago, MisterG said:

If you mean the bit on the gun side of the connection, I think it's called a fill nipple.  The one on my Tippmann M4 looks like the picture in the link below.

Cheers

G

https://www.justpaintball.co.uk/empire-pmi-fill-nipple-kit-v3.html

This is a different fitting used only for filling.

Push fittings are ok if that is your only option but a quick dissconnect is a far better option.

The common fitting used is a usa foster 22-2 fitting which is usually coupled with a foster 2032.

The fitting on the tippman is actually a slightly shorter fitting than the foster 22-2.

You do also now get different european fittings which might actually be better as i think both sides of the fitting are one way

so if you intended to tap gas mags for example you could use gas or hpa with the fitting still in place.

A ‘standard’ nipple is threaded at 1/8”NPT, and I don’t recall the nipple ends name.

It comes in two versions - a ‘fill nipple’ with a non release one way valve (for fitting to cylinders) and without (for remote lines, on gun etc)

If you are going into the nipple end then the valve will allow air to flow in, but seal when you disconnect (this would give you some extra shots when you disconnect air - so is a safety thing to bear in mind when you return to the safe zone)

If you get a fill nipple with valve then you can always just push the valve piston out 

It may be cheaper to buy a remote line ASA adaptor on its own then unscrew the nipple

I would also prefer to avoid 6mm air lines unless you have a secondary regulator stepping down the bottles output pressure 

As a rule I always want to allow for the pressure an extra step away in case one part of the system fails.  

4B12DF62-F312-4921-BE65-9E0ABD027ADB.png

These are nice fittings, but are longer and more at risk to getting bashed & subsequently ripping an o-ring

They self seal on all sides

BF5F3EA7-2192-4933-A811-C735B6519C67.png

• Root Admin

He doesn't want a 1/8 NPT threaded if it's going on an 6mm macro line. The side he's worried about is simply referred to as a US quick disconnect (usually just a quick disconnect or QD fitting).

And you're right - anything over about 300psi will easily blow out a 6mm macro. We can safely assume he's using an inline regulator or he'd have realised this very quickly indeed.

What's required here is very typical: Push fitted QD for the 6mm macro (on the gun side) and - ideally - an actual line from the regulator (this much I did specify in the FAQ). If he's using only a bottle regulator then a coiled high pressure (i.e 4500psi) line is the only option, but unless this is a Tippmann that's not what he's doing. If this is something 'custom' then I'm going to bet a fiver that this need an inline reg (in which case the 1/8 NPT threaded quick disconnect won't be necessary at all except on the regulator end (and almost all regulators already have one).

In short: Buy a proper line/hose for your gun (don't use 6mm macro line except in the gun grip and gearbox/engine if you have to). This line will come with a female US quick disconnect, and you will just need a push fitted US male quick disconnect on the gun side. This is actually a very typical setup - any retailer can help you, even if you're going to be tapping a mag (with perhaps the aforementioned 1/8 NPT male quick disconnect) or simply going straight into an engine. I've never seen anyone connect directly to a fill nipple? That would completely circumvent the tank regulator and be pretty dangerous and impractical as a consequence, right? Or maybe I'm reading that wrong :S

2 hours ago, proffrink said:

It's a US spec. quick disconnect with a push fitting for a 6mm macro line (the plastic bit).

Also you might want to not use 6mm macro where possible - it kinks and breaks. Buy a proper airline.

This is a different fitting used only for filling.

I had a look in the Tippmann parts kit, it doesn't have a valve, but they called it a fill nipple, but could be a misnomer.

Cheers

G

• Root Admin

Not sure why they include that frankly. Probably because it's cheap. Never had a fill nipple fail on me as they're not frequently used compared to the rest of the parts. I suppose the valve in it could fail?

In any case, it's only there to fill the tank - not to get the air to where it needs to be.

I did change the one on my Tippman for the one that came with the line, as it didn't lock with my backup line.  The "neck" was about 1mm too short.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

thanks guys, just to clarify this is to go with a setup that's regulated from the bottle, the 6mm line is just the guns internal piping from the connector rather than all the way to the tank (well, i think the piping to the tank might also be 6mm but it's my freinds bottle/regulator i'll be borrowing for this project until i can confirm it works)

realistically this setup isn't going to see north of 120psi and much more likely 60-80, all the internal components are going to be 10 bar rated anyway.

The HPA line from the bottle usually comes with a connector, snapped into the end of the line, so if you bought a line, then you may already have what you need, just need to unscrew it from the bigger plastic cap.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

just to ressurrect this now i have the time to look at it.

basically the setup plan is as follows:

hpa bottle with regulator on the bottle (well, its on a connection but you get the idea, it's on the bottle and everything else is regulated air)

the line from the reg to the gun is already set out with "standard" qd connector (like i said it's for my mates polarstar setup)

then in the gun it's going to be qd in->6mm airline->6mm-1/4" push connector->12v solenoid valve->1/4" push connector through 6mm to 3/8" push connector threaded straight into the hop.

no nozzle/engine, literally just valve open and air blasting down the barrel, it'll be the stock mg42 mag/hop unit and fps will be regulated by changing the pressure. dunno where i'm going to route the "grip" connector but it's not going to have much line externally anyway as the bottle/reg already has enough line.

yes it'll only do full auto and fps consistency won't exist, but it's an mg42 all it needs to do is wildly spray a cloud of angry bee's in the scariest possible manner.

looking to rate all the gun internals to 10 bar as i figure 145psi going into a 650mm barrel is going to be more than enough to hit 1j even with a leak.

• Supporters

For 1J 70psi is about right. You don’t want to be firing at 10Bar! My mates HPA bolty is only just at 140psi for 498fps...

• Supporters
2 hours ago, proffrink said:

Also that gun is going to Joule creep like anyone's business if it's being so over-volumised. Please test on the right BBs for the sake of your targets :D

you say that like there's the remotest chance it'll be fed anything bar the cheapest .2's i can find :P

Archived