The Ultimate Red Dot

Maff-7777
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, I've decided it's time to invest in a good quality sight. I've bought numerous cheap sights and clones off ebay, many of which were okay. But I'm tired of just okay, I want decent quality sight.

I want a sight that for the most part functions as a standard red dot sight. One I can use with both eyes open for close to medium range engagements. But also can be used as scope for occasional lone range work.

At the moment the NcStar 1.1-4x24 Scope fits the bill perfectly. However I can’t find anyone in the UK with it currently in stock.

G&G have started to do their own version (possibly a rebrand) but that’s £150 – and pushing by budget.

So does anyone know a sight that has the same capabilities?

I know many people have a red dot with a flip across scope – but I want to keep the weight down.

m.

Bushnell do a variable scope that is very good (dawn and dusk). Not a lit sight.

Red wolf airsoft do one with a optical powered reticle.

There is also the VK 1.5-5x (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VK-1-25-5x26-Dual-Illuminated-Rifle-Scope-3-Pin-Waterproof-Fogproof-nice-gift-/140989870795?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item20d3a6b2cb)

I personally have the Bushnell so can't comment on the quality of the other two.

• Head Moderator

If you want a good short dot scope then VisionKing is a great option for the price, many of us recommend them because we use them on AEG or GBB guns. It has clear optics (an important consideration), and enough magnification with adjustment. There are several websites that sell them, I bought mine from eBay for convenience, and chose the 32mm lens for a slightly wider view.

• Supporters

Like you i used to buy and use cheap red dot sights that never held zero or woefully inadequate.

If i were you save up a little more and buy a real Steel EoTech, they can be had on these here and other forums second hand from maybe around £250.

I know a guy whos been trying to shift two EoTech 552s for £250 each at Red1 The School

Thanks all for your help. The VisionKing short dot sights are almost what I'm looking for. But the lowest magnification is 1.25 so I'm worried you can't use it as normal red dot.

The G&G and NcStar versions starts at 1.1.

I'd buy the NcStar one in a heart beat but can't find anyone that stocks it in the UK.

m.

• Root Admin

Yeh, you can. That 1.25 is basically imperceivable and the lens clarity is the best I've seen for any short dot at that price point. I'd wager the G&G as well as both are likely rebrands of the VisionKing anyway, despite the disparity in magnification.

You could also look at the x32 instead of the x26 objective lens sizes for a better FoV up close, but the x32 does look a little strange to most people. Certainly doesn't have that distinctive short-dot look.

• Supporters

Just to throw my 2p in the mix: http://www.riflescopesuk.com/vector-optics-scopes/vector-optics-arbiter-tactical-rifle-scope-1-4x-24ir-red-dot-in-circle-reticule.html

I have a Vector Optics Mustang on my M14 and it's great. Slightly cheaper than a VK and it came with the mount. That one ^^^^ starts at 1x magnification so no faffing about with "well it's almost sort of not noticeable".

• Supporters

It's not noticeable (if that helps).

I'd argue the toss over that. It very much depends on focal length, distance from the eye, the users own eyesight etc etc etc but ultimately a scope that can be brought down to 1x mag will ALWAYS be unnoticeable (precluding any other optical distortions caused by poor lens manufacture) when compared with 1.1 or 1.25. Personally speaking, I can see a difference between 1 and 1.25.

You aren't going to get a true 1x without spending a lot of money unfortunately, you might get lucky and get a scope made to a good tolerance that genuinely is 1.1x but its more likely going to be 1.25x or 1.5x because all of them are based on the obsolete gen 1 design by Schmidt and Bender which they did for the US military and since moved onto a better one. It is possible to get a true 1x or very close to it but its 5-10x the price of a 1.25/1.5.

Shortdots don't behave like red dots even when close to 1x, they still have a narrower window of usable alignment and they also have a limited range of eye relief which means getting the reticle visible does take longer. One thing to note is there is a big difference in that eye relief and alignment between max and minimum zoom, 1x is a lot more forgiving. You can train to cope with it and shoot both eyes open even with 1.5x but its not going to be as easy and natural as a red dot/holo but then you are also not going to get the same parallax issues. I can't tell you if a schmidt and bender genuine 1x - 6x would get you that red dot feel or not but I think its unlikely just due to how these things work.

So a shortdot can get you much of the 1x advantage even without it being genuinely 1x but its also not the same. I think its worth it but its a lot of weight to carry around all day. But the 4x for spotting and guiding long range shots is immensely useful and worth the trade off. For airsoft purposes I just don't think anyone can justify the price of a genuine 1x-4x/1x-6x.

• Root Admin

I'd argue the toss over that. It very much depends on focal length, distance from the eye, the users own eyesight etc etc etc but ultimately a scope that can be brought down to 1x mag will ALWAYS be unnoticeable (precluding any other optical distortions caused by poor lens manufacture) when compared with 1.1 or 1.25. Personally speaking, I can see a difference between 1 and 1.25.

As Candle says, I'm fairly sure a lot of companies are being less than honest about these lower magnifications at this price point.

Having spent 10 minutes comparing a couple once I just couldn't tell, but then it would be nice for someone to do it properly.

Archived