Time to upgrade to Lipo batteries.. But need advice..

Reece_Spurs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Was just about to order some lipos and a charger, but thought I'd double check with you guys first.. Now I've been told most AEG's should be fine to run 7.4 lipos, anything about is risky and may require a MOSFET.. Is this correct? This is my gun https://www.justbbguns.co.uk/product/549/2-TONE-GUNS-PRO/466/2-TONE-AEG-PRO/1468/SRC-M4-RIS-AEG-AIRSOFT-GUN (Don't worry about telling me JBBG sucks, I was new when I bought it as a first gun)

Secondly, what charger is the best for charging lipos? I'm assuming a smart charger that will stop once its fully charged, any suggestions? Money isnt an issue, aslong as its good quality and safe. Will Probably get a lipo bag just to be sure aswell. Component shop is what i'm looking at now, just not sure on a) whether my gun can hack lipos, and B) what ones to get.

It'll have to be a nunchuck style, just unsure on the mAh, as 7.4v seems the safest option.

• Supporters

7.4v is the wise option

a B3 type charger will have a mains lead and is a good starter lipo smart charger

what you need to ensure is your crane stock's tube size/diameter

usually the tubes in the stock will be about 18mm - "maybe" a bit more like 21mm

but you need to really check as crane stocks & their capacity/diameter can vary

G&G ones are very thin - so make up something - maybe a magic marker or felt tip pen

or roll up a bit of paper/card tube and see how it fits in there

YOU must check all stuff BEFORE you order the wrong stuff too big

length of battery should be ABOUT 125mm max - this is a rough guess btw so please check

7.4v is the wise option

a B3 type charger will have a mains lead and is a good starter lipo smart charger

what you need to ensure is your crane stock's tube size/diameter

usually the tubes in the stock will be about 18mm - "maybe" a bit more like 21mm

but you need to really check as crane stocks & their capacity/diameter can vary

G&G ones are very thin - so make up something - maybe a magic marker or felt tip pen

or roll up a bit of paper/card tube and see how it fits in there

YOU must check all stuff BEFORE you order the wrong stuff too big

length of battery should be ABOUT 125mm max - this is a rough guess btw so please check

Cheers, what about the mAh side of things? Is the higher the better?

Are those B3 chargers smart chargers?

Will check my stock tubes aswell, cheers mate :)

• Supporters

capacity wise in crane stock tubes.......

you will be a little limited depending on space available

as I said some guns/stock tubes are bigger/smaller than others

G&G Raider is more like a max 18mm diameter x 125mm in its crane stock

Cyma & D-Boys M4 seem to be able to take up to a max of 21mm or 22mm diameter

MP5k's are the worst - take a single stick type battery and even 18mm diameter is a tight fit

Nothing worse than buying a battery that just don't fit & even when I thought I measured it all correctly - I still got it wrong

In theory you should be able to fit in say 1400mah twin stick 7.4v lipo about a 20c

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2000mah-20c-continuous-discharge-airsoft-lipo-split-pack.html

This should - and I say "should" fit but is a little pricey compared to say a block battery which would be half that price

but anything "AIRSOFT" will cost a bit if using the more unique or bespoke type batteries due to space

another couple of options:

http://hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=44774

only 1200mah but you can fit one in each tube and swap over out in field or wire them in parallel

NOT SERIES coz that doubles up the volts to 14.8v

batterywiring2.jpg

So 2 x 1200mah in parallel will give you 2400mah

Actually is not quite as good as a single 2400mah battery as the 2 x lipo's or 4 cells involved may discharge differently

but a possible option to consider all the same

Another option is fit a fixed M4 Stock - either long or stubby stock and use the block type batteries

a Imax B3 charger is a basic easy to use lipo charger that can be bought for about £10+

there are some clones about - so try to buy any cheap charger from a reliable UK seller than from Hong Kong

There is the B6 charger which is far more advanced and can charge batteries at a faster rate

but a tiny bit more bells n whistles to use

cheaper types are out there but a B3 is a simple cheap easy to use charger

or go for the B6 if you really get into it

All lipo chargers are smart chargers - but still need to keep eye on any battery charging

Though they should stop charging - it is still wise to monitor any charger

(a watched pot never boils - or battery explodes)

This is just a rough guide to lipo batteries and like I said size measurements etc... must be checked

by YOU before jumping in and buying a few - finding out later they are 1mm too tight to fit in

TBH the 1450mAH type are fine for most rifles - they are thin and should last for a game.

I charge mine up the night before the game with a simple LIPO charger, then after the game check what life is in them with a capacity meter. I store them in a fire bag at around 50 pct charge until I need them again. If I have any that are charged but unused, I just plug them into my meter until they run down to about 50 pct.

Never store them fully charged or under about 40%. All my LIPOs puffed because of that and I disposed of them because I no longer trusted them.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.