HPA: to buy or not to buy

JackHG

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I've been stuck in a crisis for about a month now where I've been unable to decide if buying a HPA rig such as a SMP or P* is actually a good idea. The main reason for wanting one is because of the trigger response without the constant maintenance and low mag capacity which effects gas rifles but I'm unsure if HPA is widely accepted in fields across the country plus if site would be happy for me, 17 yr old male, to use one due to the worry of me getting angry or frustrated and turning the fps is to dangerous levels as I assume they are more likely to trust a older more experience player. Please help me decide and maybe share some of your experiences with HPA.

thanks

The only good point I've heard & this is a direct quote

"Consistent fps for any site, you'll never look back BUT it gets damn expensive"

• Root Admin

First off we need to remember that at your age you can't legally own an RIF (or any airsoft gun for that matter). I'm supposing this is going to be your first, so I'd caution that it's going to probably cost you in the region of £500+ if you include the gun, kit, tank, regulator and line.

That all said, I've had a lot of fun with my M249 so far, but there are so many options out there for airsoft guns that turning down two decent RIFs in favour of one HPA setup seems a bit silly to me if it's your first. I certainly don't feel like I never want to go back to my GBBRs either - my feeling is HPA is just different, but not necessarily better. Airsoft has never been entirely about having the best and most consistent gun to me, and I think the problem for some HPA users is that they get tagged as 'play-to-win'-ers. A slim minority deserve that title.

To address the bit about FPS: Yes, there's a stigma that comes with HPA setups. There are tournament locks out there that mean you can't change the FPS easily during a game and should people's minds at ease. I know the Redline Firebase has one built in, but they only cost a few quid for other regulators.

First off we need to remember that at your age you can't legally own an RIF (or any airsoft gun for that matter). I'm supposing this is going to be your first, so I'd caution that it's going to probably cost you in the region of £500+ if you include the gun, kit, tank, regulator and line.

That all said, I've had a lot of fun with my M249 so far, but there are so many options out there for airsoft guns that turning down two decent RIFs in favour of one HPA setup seems a bit silly to me if it's your first.

Legally I can if I was gifted it by a adult right?

• Supporters

So I've been stuck in a crisis for about a month now where I've been unable to decide if buying a HPA rig such as a SMP or P* is actually a good idea. The main reason for wanting one is because of the trigger response without the constant maintenance and low mag capacity which effects gas rifles but I'm unsure if HPA is widely accepted in fields across the country plus if site would be happy for me, 17 yr old male, to use one due to the worry of me getting angry or frustrated and turning the fps is to dangerous levels as I assume they are more likely to trust a older more experience player. Please help me decide and maybe share some of your experiences with HPA.

thanks

Having already had an SMP myself and now having a P* I can say HPA I'd good mate but for self builds like this it can be very expensive. My SMP cost me an absolute fortune and I constantly had barrel/hop issues.

If you buy either system then do testing before changing out the internals. Example, alignment checks with the nozzle and hop and fire testing to check range and accuracy, do this whilst the weapon is still electric then once you've changed it out you can look for any differences. You also want to put it in a GG& or VFC body as people have had better results. G&G is also good but not all G&G bodies work great with these systems.

Other issues with HPA is sites allowing them and other players hating the ROF these put out, theres a fair few HPA owners who have ROF set stupidly high. Also you need to fill you bottle/s' as well

Personally if your looking to get into HPA but not spend LOADS of money then get a Tippmann M4 they are excellent. If you need any help or advice Pm me I have plenty of knowledge on these systems :-)

Personally if your looking to get into HPA but not spend LOADS of money then get a Tippmann M4 they are excellent. If you need any help or advice Pm me I have plenty of knowledge on these systems :-)

I was looking at the tippmanns but I heard people were having some big issues with theirs to do with the hop up (I heard this at there time of release. Also I have already a G&G r8-l combat machine and a G&G gen 3 m4 and was hoping that the cm with a SMP or P* would result in a good light weight set up. What do u think?

• Root Admin

Legally I can if I was gifted it by a adult right?

Yes, but that adult needs a valid defence to buy it.

I was looking at the tippmanns but I heard people were having some big issues with theirs to do with the hop up (I heard this at there time of release. Also I have already a G&G r8-l combat machine and a G&G gen 3 m4 and was hoping that the cm with a SMP or P* would result in a good light weight set up. What do u think?

Is this your first airsoft gun?

• Supporters

Tippmann's do have a hop issue but it's an easy fix now, there's plenty of ways to fix it. I fixed mine with a simple but brilliant mod and it worked a dream.

G&G CM's are generally pretty good for P* setup and i believe so for SMP as well.

G&G CM's are generally pretty good for P* setup and i believe so for SMP as well.

If my maths is correct buying a SMP with the line reg and tank will work out cheaper than the tippmann and line reg and tank so do you think that's a better idea (also the cm is already upgrade with a 6.03 and promy hop up

So you're going to spend £500+ on a brightly coloured IF HPA setup?

More like £450 and yes as in 18 next year and with my defence it will turn into a RIF HPA set up

• Root Admin

AFAIK:

Regulator and hose: >£80

Tank: >£40

SMP: £270

Donor gun: >£150

Where were you buying this from?

thanks for the replies guys and if u are thinking that it's stupid money for me to spend I have earnt it all myself through my job so it's not a case of "spoilt kid with mommies credit card and no grasp of money"

That's fair enough. Not treating you any differently on the purchase because of your age alone, but these figures tend to creep up on people as they realise just what's involved in building one.

AFAIK:

Regulator and hose: >£80

Tank: >£40

SMP: £270

Donor gun: >£150

Where were you buying this from?

Can't think of the name right now but a Facebook based importer who has offered to supply all the kit and fit it for about £420

• Root Admin

Good reviews, but I don't think that price includes a regulator or tank. I've not used them myself - I've used Beesting and they were very good. I think Qlimax is in touch with one of the owners and I know they're quite active on Facebook.

Edit:

Yep, it doesn't include the reg or tank - just the kit, donor and fitting.

Really? That's a good deal. What tank and regulator?

Ninja lpr and he said 'tanks start at £40' however I have just looked at beesting and they have some good deals on so I might go with them instead

• Supporters

Go to Beesting airsoft they do package deals or go to Dark talon. He's currently a brand new DT4 with a Wolverine Hydra installed for £399.00 on offer.

Depending on what reg etc you get a Tippmann is cheaper.

Example

Redline reg £175

48ci bottle £40

SMP £330

Donor weapon £150

If your going wolverine get their new Inferno. Cheaper to buy

Beesting - Danny will sort you out decent guy know him personally.

Dark Talon. Mark Decent guy too, know him personally.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.