First time Airsofter, in Surrey (and need help!)

Tamberlin

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey everyone,

I've been interested in Airsoft for a few years, but only recently has it become possible for me to start playing. My nearest site is the CQB bunker in Epsom and a woodland site in Dorking, and I'm pretty excited by it, however I have a few questions about it. I called up and spoke to a nice guy called John, to ask about the FPS limit and gun recommendations. I've done a lot of research and decided that I'd like the GHK G5, as it's perfect for CQB, but can also be used for woodland if you obtain the carbine kit for it. However, this gun chronos in at about 350 FPS, and the site limit is 330. Would it be possible just to drop a new spring in it and bring down the FPS, or is it different for GBBs? He also said I should try airsoft out before I spend nearly £300 on it, which is absolutely fair enough, but he also said I should play at the CQB site, and then at the woodland site, to see what kind of gun I should get.

I hate to be that little kid who seems like he has done no research and run straight to the forums, but I've looked at a lot of guides to do with starting airsoft. I am happy to spend around £300 on an airsoft gun, as I've been saving for years, and setting aside funds just to acquire my dream gun. Do you think I should try both sites, see if I prefer CQB or woodland, then buy my gun based on that?

Thanks,

Alfie

Definitely try CQB and woodland before picking a gun, especially as you'll need to go to a site 3 times in no less than 3 months to get on the UKARA database and retailers be willing to sell you a gun that isn't painted 50% orange (would be a shame to do to a £300 gun)

As for FPS on a GBB gun, it's fired by gas not spring so you're right there. Different brands/types of gas will give you dif FPS, seen reviews of GHK G5 saying it's about 330fps, others 350, so with the right gas perhaps you wouldn't need to have someone adjust the valve.

One thing to bear in mind is as it's gas and 30-40 round mags, you'll need to spend another £1-200 on enough mags to make it through a skirmish without having to hide in a corner refilling mags.

Another is there's probably not a veteran airsofter in the land who's first gun is still their favored 'primary', it'll take a fair bit of playing to develop your own 'style' and once you have you'll want a gun tailored to it.

IMO - 30-40 rounds per mag is shite and gas is a pain in the ass (some like the 'realism' in rounds and kick), you'd do better getting 2 x £150 AEG, one for CQB, one for woodland, or just a £300 AEG of carbine size.

The default advice given to all new-players here is buy a £150 ICS or G&G M4, these will do the job for CQB or woodland until you've found your favored style.

Hi mate

I play down Epsom tunnels a lot and will be there next week.

John is right have a couple of games to see if you enjoy the whole thing as that's important.

If you decide to come to Epsom next week ( Wednesday night ) bring a good set of boots

But more than happy to answer any questions you have and help if I can

Definitely try CQB and woodland before picking a gun, especially as you'll need to go to a site 3 times in no less than 3 months to get UKARA and a gun that isn't painted 50% orange (would be a shame to do to a £300 gun)

As for FPS on a GBB gun, it's fired by gas not spring so you're right there. Different brands/types of gas will give you dif FPS, seen reviews of GHK G5 saying it's about 330fps, others 350, so with the right gas perhaps you wouldn't need to have someone adjust the valve.

One thing to bear in mind is as it's gas and 30-40 round mags, you'll need to spend another £1-200 on enough mags to make it through a skirmish without having to hide in a corner refilling mags.

Another is there's probably not a veteran airsofter in the land who's first gun is still their favored 'primary', it'll take a fair bit of playing to develop your own 'style' and once you have you'll want a gun tailored to it.

IMO - 30-40 rounds per mag is shite and gas is a pain in the ass (some like the 'realism' in rounds and kick), you'd do better getting 2 x £150 AEG, one for CQB, one for woodland, or just a £300 AEG of carbine size.

The default advice given to all new-players here is buy a £150 ICS or G&G M4, these will do the job for CQB or woodland until you've found your favored style.

Well I really don't like AEGs. One of the reasons I play airsoft is for the realism of fighting, and I like the sound and kick of a GBBR. Unfortunately, I'm only 14, so UKARA really isn't a valid option. Like I said, I have a lot of money set aside so I can play airsoft, and I'm happy to spend another £100 on mags. I really don't want to buy an AEG, I just don't like them. Perhaps in the future I'll buy a G&P M4, but for now I'm sticking with GBBRs, and I adore the G5. I can use a slightly weaker gas, that should be okay. The 350 FPS is coming from .20 and green gas, and I need to get down to 330 with .20s, but they don't specify what gas type I need to use.

Cool well it's a pretty damn good GBBR so you've researched quite well there. Hopefully whatever store you get it from will be able to try it out with a few dif gases and recommend which gas for which FPS. GBB take more maintenance, so be prepared for that too.

Would still recommend playing before buying regardless

If using gas at Epsom tunnels you need green or red gas as it is cold down there so not a gas guns friend

£300 won't be enough to purchase a G5 AND magazines, gas, bb's etc... However, it'll get you a nice AEG, magazines, bb's and maybe some money left over for gear.

Well there is another thing, I'm ordering the gun from Evike, and with that I'm getting an extra mag. I've got a £40 Amazon Voucher which I'll be spending on gas and BBs. I know people have differing views on buying from Evike, and the US in general, so some advice would be massively appreciated.

Love my G5 and it would be ace down The Tunnels.... mags in the UK are around £50 each though. You can get a 1j nozzle for the G5 which will ensure you are within site limits. If going for a G5 then you'll want at least 5 extra mags. Also, never be tempted to shoot it with the stock folded.... you WILL crack the lower receiver. If you get one I have played around with mine considerably so am happy to give you hints/tips on servicing/upgrading it etc (and possibly have some internal upgrades you may be interested in)

Love my G5 and it would be ace down The Tunnels.... mags in the UK are around £50 each though. You can get a 1j nozzle for the G5 which will ensure you are within site limits. If going for a G5 then you'll want at least 5 extra mags. Also, never be tempted to shoot it with the stock folded.... you WILL crack the lower receiver. If you get one I have played around with mine considerably so am happy to give you hints/tips on servicing/upgrading it etc (and possibly have some internal upgrades you may be interested in)

Oh my gosh, thank you so much. It'd be great if you could give me some tips on using the gun, and just the best attachments for it, as I know it's rails aren't quite the standard 20mm. I'll probably purchase some upgrades, as I adore the base gun.

• Supporters

Well there is another thing, I'm ordering the gun from Evike, and with that I'm getting an extra mag. I've got a £40 Amazon Voucher which I'll be spending on gas and BBs. I know people have differing views on buying from Evike, and the US in general, so some advice would be massively appreciated.

You can't import airsoft guns into the UK from the US.

• Supporters

You can import from the US but its not worth the hassle. A lot of US shops stopped importing because guns kept getting destroyed by customs. Also it will come with an orange flash hider and will probably be firing hot. So by the time you have paid shipping,import tax, replaced the flash hider and had it down graded you will probably have saved nothing.

If you get the gbb down grading is not a big issue but everything else is.

You have no defence so it will need to be two toned. Just a word of warning customs have been known to destroy mags because they can be classed as a pressurised container. Also are you over 18 because if not then its illegal for you to buy an airsoft gun.

Seriously listen to the good advice you have been given and rent first.

You might hate it and just waste your money a lot of people find this out. Researching it on the internet is not the same as playing.

If happy to import get direct from Samoon rather than from the USA. Not sure if they will 2 tone the gun though so you may need to source that in the UK... they do a deal on 2 G5 mags at the moment which is pretty good. If importing you will have to pay VAT and customs duty, so factor that in to the cost (as well as the Parcel Farce rip off handling fee). Samoon are fantastic though... I got my gun, all my spares and carbine kit, extra nozzles and around 10 extra mags from them.

If happy to import get direct from Samoon rather than from the USA. Not sure if they will 2 tone the gun though so you may need to source that in the UK... they do a deal on 2 G5 mags at the moment which is pretty good. If importing you will have to pay VAT and customs duty, so factor that in to the cost (as well as the Parcel Farce rip off handling fee). Samoon are fantastic though... I got my gun, all my spares and carbine kit, extra nozzles and around 10 extra mags from them.

So is Samoon safer to buy from the US then?

You can import from the US but its not worth the hassle. A lot of US shops stopped importing because guns kept getting destroyed by customs. Also it will come with an orange flash hider and will probably be firing hot. So by the time you have paid shipping,import tax, replaced the flash hider and had it down graded you will probably have saved nothing.

If you get the gbb down grading is not a big issue but everything else is.

You have no defence so it will need to be two toned. Just a word of warning customs have been known to destroy mags because they can be classed as a pressurised container. Also are you over 18 because if not then its illegal for you to buy an airsoft gun.

Seriously listen to the good advice you have been given and rent first.

You might hate it and just waste your money a lot of people find this out. Researching it on the internet is not the same as playing.

Thank you so much, Trigger, you've probably saved me there. And yes, I will try it out beforehand.

Just to clear up what Kurtz said in his first response. It's 3 games in no less than TWO months for UKARA.

I know it's not a valid option for the OP, but just for anyone else reading it.

So is Samoon safer to buy from the US then?

You will def get customs and the VATman with items coming from the USA (unless you know a man who can get stuff shipped via other means), Samoon however understand our customs charging so do what they can to minimise any fees. Personally (as I am UKARA registered) if I were buying another GHK gun I'd never hesitate when choosing Samoon as they have always provided amazing customer service and at the time I purchased my G5 buying from them was way cheaper than buying from the UK.

You can get a GHK G5 bundle here if you don't want to deal with customs and other hidden costs.

http://www.socomtactical.net/airsoft-guns-knifes/professional-airsoft-guns/assault-rifles/ghk-g5-gbb-inc-3-mags-starter-kit.html

Like others have said. If I was you I would rent a few times first just to be sure you like doing it and that you won't get bored with it after a few weeks. Some hobbies stick, some don't. It's best to be sure before you start sinking serious money into it. My mid-life crisis guitar is testament to that.

I have G5 and it's great but it wasn't my first gun. I also have an AEG which I still use for some games.

I also I want to add that I don't think 2 mags will really cut it in a game. Each magazine holds 38-39 rounds and can hold enough gas to fire 2 loads, maybe 3 depending on temperature. You'll either want to carry more mags (which being gas are quite heavy) so you'll need some sort of vest/rig to carry them or carry a bottle of bbs, a speedloader and gas with you in each game and spend time reloading behind a bush.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.