Batteries and chargers pure confusion!!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm new to the forum! I have previously had many gas/C02 airguns in the past, however now I've decided to get back into 'airsofting' and have decided to go for my first AEG. I would really appreciate a bit of advice as I'm stumped about a few key things!

I have looked at the Umarex Heckler & Koch UMP Sportsline.

This is obviously a cheaper gun in comparison, however I'm unsure if I'll fully get back into it so can't justify spending over £130 at the moment.

I have a few questions relating to batteries and 'smart chargers', do batteries come with a standard size connector or do some vary? As i was thinking about buying a larger power supply such as 1600. I know the UMP takes stick batteries so would the majority standard sticks work with this?

Also smart chargers are doing my head in! I've contacted a few airsoft companies and none of them give me a straight answer. Which smart charger would be the best for the gun I am thinking of above, and would I need any adapters to connect the batteries?

Thanks for any replies, it would help me out!!

If any one could point out a better gun for around £100 - £130 including necessary accessories and two tone, that would also be appreciated!

I know exactly how you feel, I just bought my first AEG, and I ended up buying a 7.4 volt Lipo, after lots of different sites had conflicting information and the manufacturer's site was unhelpful, when it arrived it says 9.6 (non lipo) on the box.

I found this helpful:

youtube.com/watch?v=iTBWcBe8rJ4

I know exactly how you feel, I just bought my first AEG, and I ended up buying a 7.4 volt Lipo, after lots of different sites had conflicting information and the manufacturer's site was unhelpful, when it arrived it says 9.6 (non lipo) on the box.

I found this helpful:

youtube.com/watch?v=iTBWcBe8rJ4

Thanks for the reply! It's such a minefield for newcomers to AEG's. Do you use a smart charger? If so what connector does it have? I'm still not really any closer to making full sense haha!

Assume that most guns/batteries/chargers have mini Tamiya connectors unless it says otherwise. The smart charger you use depends on the battery so here's some stuff:

Nimh:

Slower trigger response and rof but if they go dead unlike a lipo you recharge them and use them again no problem.

Would say don't use anything lower than a 9.4v.

Selection of 9.6 Nimh's: http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/batteries-bbs-gas-chronographs-c5/batteries-c62/we-airsoft-europe-m167/9-6v-t426

And charger for them: http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/batteries-bbs-gas-chronographs-c5/chargers-c141/we-airsoft-europe-we-europe-n3-nimh-battery-charger-p3512

Lipo:

Faster trigger response and rof but once they go dead they're dead forever.

I would say only only use a 7.4v no higher unless you have an active braking mosfet

Selection of 7.4 lipo's: http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/batteries-bbs-gas-chronographs-c5/batteries-c62/we-airsoft-europe-m167/7-4v-t424

Chargers (would recommend the more expensive one as its a lot better but if you can't stretch to £50 go for the cheaper one): http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/batteries-bbs-gas-chronographs-c5/chargers-c141/lipo-battery-charger-t430

Np remember when I was there myself. Also if you go for a lipo make sure you have it on a fire proof surface away from anything that could combust and keep an eye on it (same for Nimh but not as important but still should just its more important with lipo's as they like to go out with a bang, but 99.9% of people don't have any problems but better to be safe than sorry) and get a lipo alarm to make sure you take them out before they're fully dead.

In regard to your other question generally g&g combat machines are the go to beginner gun because there's more parts, tutorials, accessories etc. for them. If you could possibly stretch to it I'd go for the g&g umg as they've got the standard from g&g (magical internals and good reliability) but the trade off is price (£200 new and about the same second hand with loads of mags and stuff)

Space have you got a ukara ? going to get one ? Or are you a minor ? Because there's a second hand g&g umg on the z1 forums that has everything you'll need except a charger http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?260545-G-amp-G-UMP-Like-New-6-Mags but if you haven't got ukara generally people are quite snobby about two toning guns. If you go for it make sure to ask wether the battery's a lipo or Nimh before buying a charger. I would make an offer of about £180 then when he says no go to £190 but I don't have the money.

• Supporters

In regard to your other question generally g&g combat machines are the go to beginner gun because there's more parts, tutorials, accessories etc. for them. If you could possibly stretch to it I'd go for the g&g umg as they've got the standard from g&g (magical internals and good reliability) but the trade off is price (£200 new and about the same second hand with loads of mags and stuff)

G&G's are good beginners guns because they are cheap and pretty simple. Nothing else is special certainly dont have magic internals (thats TM) its all pot metal and cheese alloy. Better than most chinese guns but not great.

• Supporters

Just started charging my first lipo - in a frying pan. :)

You ARE joking, right?

You ARE joking, right?

What exactly is the problem?

If something goes wrong and I need to do something about it, a frying pan is a perfect way to move the battery into the kitchen (where there are 2 fire extinguishers and 4 fire blankets and 3 windows).

I mean obviously if it 'combusted' it wouldn't matter what it was in (I would have bought a safety bag - but I cannot discern the fakes). But if it just malfunctioned in a minor way, I could move it.

It's been charging nearly 3 hours and I've not been less than 1m from it the whole time, I'm not irresponsible.

• Supporters

If something goes wrong and I need to do something about it, a frying pan is a perfect way to move the battery into the kitchen (where there are 2 fire extinguishers and 4 fire blankets and 3 windows).

I mean obviously if it 'combusted' it wouldn't matter what it was in (I would have bought a safety bag - but I cannot discern the fakes). But if it just malfunctioned in a minor way, I could move it.

It's been charging nearly 3 hours and I've not been less than 1m from it the whole time, I'm not irresponsible.

post-10973-0-77162500-1437672516_thumb.jpg

Might want one of these as well.

• Supporters

There's a huge difference between being irresponsible and being over cautious though. Lipo batteries don't spontaneously combust for shits and giggles. Do you charge your phone in a frying pan? Didn't think so...

Yeah it does phones use lithium ion batteries the chemistry of your phone battery is the same as your lipo.

Yes, but I am not worried about a Lithium Ion battery, I have heard nothing bad about them.

I didn't do it for my personal safety, if I was at home I might have even left the room a few times, but here I live with many other people, and the list of prohibited fire hazard items is huge. The building management take fire very very seriously.

Don't mistake my being responsible, for being gullible.

• Supporters

Yes, but I am not worried about a Lithium Ion battery, I have heard nothing bad about them.

I didn't do it for my personal safety, if I was at home I might have even left the room a few times, but here I live with many other people, and the list of prohibited fire hazard items is huge. The building management take fire very very seriously.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_polymer_battery

Bit of info for you. You need to relax its a battery not a bomb and lipos are more common than most people think I have a 24v one I took out of a leaf blower they are everywhere.

Whatever you think is going on here, it's not. I've been chilling with a movie and $400 of flyye gear that came this morning.

Funnily enough of all the things I bought, the PC is the only thing I was not excited about, thankfully it was only $110 with foam plates and only added $3 to the postage. It's the one I want but I doubt i'll use it in this season.

I do a lot of research, some say too much, but I assure you all that any care I took today, such as making the battery mobile and staying within a 1m of it at all times had nothing to do with me, and only to do with where I am living, care for others.

I know you both mean well, unfortunately i've read comments by others saying the same thing 10s of times on other forums. Loz, I laughed at the mobile phone comment for that reason. :)

(no hard feelings! but I am relaxed)

Now to test my AEG.

• Supporters

Whatever you think is going on here, it's not. I've been chilling with a movie and $400 of flyye gear that came this morning.

Funnily enough of all the things I bought, the PC is the only thing I was not excited about, thankfully it was only $110 with foam plates and only added $3 to the postage. It's the one I want but I doubt i'll use it in this season.

I do a lot of research, some say too much, but I assure you all that any care I took today, such as making the battery mobile and staying within a 1m of it at all times had nothing to do with me, and only to do with where I am living, care for others.

I know you both mean well, unfortunately i've read comments by others saying the same thing 10s of times on other forums. Loz, I laughed at the mobile phone comment for that reason. :)

(no hard feelings! but I am relaxed)

Now to test my AEG.

Have you erected a correct ballistics proof barricade and have a medic on standby?

Are you using a piece of string to pull the trigger just incase? 😂

• Supporters

Re the bold part: https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=lithium%20ion%20battery%20explosion&oq=lithium%20ion%20&aqs=chrome.4.0j69i57j0l4.4429j0j8

There's been some pretty high profile cases of phone batteries exploding in peoples pockets (particularly Samsung ones for some reason).

Joking aside (and please don't mistake some light-hearted ribbing for piss taking) the actual risk associated with charging LiPo batteries comes (primarily) from one of two sources - cheap chargers that aren't properly regulated and damaged batteries. In fact you have a higher risk of ignition by not storing your batteries correctly (you should really keep them in a stiff sided box or fire proof bag to prevent accidental puncture and contain the burn in the event of damage). Using a decent charger (Imax B6, Turnigy etc) will help to reduce the risk associated with charging and making sure you correctly manage the cycling of the batteries (don't deep discharge them, don't over charge them etc) will also help.

At the end of the day though you must do what you feel safest with and if that involves kitchen implements then so be it. :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.