Gas gun maintenance advice

Everest85

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

i just finished my g5 after my skirmish.

DAILY MAINTENANCE (after every skirmish)

-empty magazines of gas

-field strip

-clean bolt track and rail of all silicone oil

-clean barrel thoroughly

-apply silicone oil to bolt carrier track

-re-assemble

-fill magazines with just a little bit of Abbey Maintenance gas

-use one mag to put a couple of dry fires through and spread a little lubricant through the internals

if using propane, the cleaning steps are more important due to the impurities found in usual stove propane, and the last two steps are also much more important. if youre using an Abbey product as propellant, you probably dont need to empty them to fill with maintenance gas, just add a little maintenance stuff in with the other stuff.

once or twice a year, give the rifle a full strip, check things like the hop bucking, trigger and bolt movement for signs of wear or damage and replace parts as necessary (you can get just about any part from Milspec Solutions or Socom Tactical).

if you notice that your FPS has dropped since you bought it, remove the bolt carrier and disassemble it to get the nozzle out. give the two o-ring seals a good lubing (best to leave them submersed in silicone oil overnight) and reinstall them. while youre at it, use your finger to spread some silicone oil all round the cylinder the nozzle sits in. once youve put everything back together you should find its about 50fps hotter than brand new, but this falls back to normal once you put a few mags through it, so do some garden plinking or something until the FPS comes back into site limits.

• Root Admin
<snip>

All of this.

Plus, keep silicone away from your hop unit as it'll warp the rubber.

Also, although I use Abbey maintenance gas myself, if you want to save some money then just hold the valve on the GHK mags and drop some high-viscosity silicone through the gas router into the gas reservoir before filling with your usual gas. That Abbey stuff is fairly expensive if you're having to get it shipped.

All of this.

Plus, keep silicone away from your hop unit as it'll warp the rubber.

Also, although I use Abbey maintenance gas myself, if you want to save some money then just hold the valve on the GHK mags and drop some high-viscosity silicone through the gas router into the gas reservoir before filling with your usual gas. That Abbey stuff is fairly expensive if you're having to get it shipped.

the abbey gasses (Maintenance gas included) use UPL instead of silicone, which is better for storage as it stays dissolved in the gas preventing the gas from drying out and drawing the lubricant from your seals. adding silicone certainly helps by delaying the problem, but if you end up leaving your mags for more than a couple of weeks, maintenance gas might well save you having to break them down and fix your seals again.

by the way, to add to my original list: Learn to break down the mags and fix your seals. its not usually a hard process, the G5 can be done by:

-Empty the mags of gas

-check the mag is empty of gas

-triple check the mag has no gas in it

-unscrew both inlet and knocker valves, drop them in silicone and leave them overnight

-remove the magazine baseplate

-find the bastard follower spring that flew off and the little nub that holds it straight

-unscrew the two metal caps with a massive allen key

-remove the o-rings from each cap and submerse them in the silicone, or just drop the whole thing in.

-re-assemble and add gas immediately

• Root Admin

Never knew that. Thanks.

Are the new G5 reservoirs not encased in plastic though? I thought that needed to be removed before one could get to the bottoms of them. Never owned one of the new G5 or AK mags, and the M4 ones don't have it at all.

if you remove the base plate, you can unscrew the metal caps that seal the bottom of the gas well. no need to fully break the mags down.

Ive also eard that its best when getting your mags to open them straight away and tighten those caps, as they always seem to come a little loose. I have tightened mine and not had any issues yet but it certainly held gas when the caps could be easily turned by hand

• Root Admin

Ah, I was under the impression that the new ones didn't allow you to do that without removing the plastic first.

I did the same, but added some PTFE tape too. The real issue I have is the valves though as they seem to leak on me fairly often despite being disassembled after every skirmish and well lubed. Still better than most WA mags.

one of my mags has a misbehaving outlet valve, i cant seem to get it to seal for more than a couple of skirmishes before i need to give it some love. maybe one day ill get to the bottom of it

• Root Admin

Seems to be a bit pot-luck. I bought my gen 2 M4 mags literally the day after they came out and I'm considering buying replacement valves at this point. I even went to Samoon and bought new o-rings, but that didn't seem to do much. Maybe the threads are misaligned or something, but nothing looks wrong.

Guess that's all a part of having a GBBR.

i would say when using certain gas with alot of silicone oil in clean your hop and barrel after every skirmish stops greasy catching the bbs and keeping the gun accurate

I clean my barrels after every skirmish. Have you ever seen the crap that comes out of the barrel after about 400 rounds (all I'll use in a day) using propane? It's disgusting after a day, I darent think how bad it would be after two.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.