Over Glasses Goggles

Drewster211

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I'm trying to find some good quality googles to go over my glasses, do any of you have any experience with the ones that work? Or would it be advisable to get some prescription goggles made?

Thanks

Scott

I personally have up with the glasses/goggle combo after finding out that mesh distorts my vision and plastic caused unbelievable fogging.

I now have a pair of ballistic eyeshields (ess cross series) with a prescription insert. Got the lot from Andy at Tactical Optician and would recommend his services in a heartbeat.

Just give them the fairy liquid treatment the night before a game and forget that fogging is even a thing :D

I use some viper goggles, they arnt gucci but they do the job for me. I place the nose piece of my mesh mask under the goggles. this prevents fogging because air can get in.

Ok great...where would I find this Tactical Optician?

Sounds like he is the man for the job!!

Google it ;)

www.tacticaloptician.co.uk

His name is Andy, he was a real gentleman when I dealt with him and I've heard only good things as well

• Root Admin

You don't even need him to be frank. Go to any high street optician and get a free test (or use your current prescription) then go to pretty much any online reglazing shop and send in your inserts. Plenty of companies do inserts for loads of their goggles - I use ESS V12s. I think with the goggles, inserts and scratch resistant/anti-glare, thin lenses I paid about 80 quid. All in all it took about 20 minutes of clicking to do online.

1. Find some goggles you like the look of
2. Find inserts that fit them (the majority of the top brands make their own for their goggles and glasses and they cost about £10-20)
3. Send off the inserts to a re-glazing shop like GlassesDirect with your prescription attached
4. Wait for the post to arrive (mine took a week)

I too went to Tactical optician, but I didn't like the selection of goggles and thought many to be rather overpriced. It's a professional service I'm sure, but reglazing frames isn't rocket science, and so long as you've got your pupillary distance as a part of your prescription (which all highstreet retailers will provide to you if you need it, and you can even do it yourself if required) then you'll be golden and save a bunch of cash.

Couldn't be happier with mine. Haven't had a single issue with them.

So I've just bought some ESS V12 goggles, I can sent my inserts and prescription to this glassesdirect and they will put new lenses in the inserts that are my prescription?

So I've just bought some ESS V12 goggles, I can sent my inserts and prescription to this glassesdirect and they will put new lenses in the inserts that are my prescription?

I think that's the size of it!

• Root Admin

Correct. I used Glasses Direct but there are many others out there. You will need a hard copy of your prescription (in the form it was given to you by Specsavers or Boots or whoever). The instructions are here.

You'll get your prescription back as soon as they authenticate it (which only takes a few days).

Really? You got a link?

There are loads of them. The V12s were issued to British troops but in true MOD style I imagine far too many sets were ordered. You can find them in various conditions between £10-25. Something like this set* comes with the interchangeable lenses.

As for the inserts, you want the ESS VICE RXs; they can be had for about £10 from here*. Additionally, don't worry about removing the sample lenses from the ESS inserts - they'll do that for you. In fact, it's safer if you don't as they'll maintain their shape in the post.

*Please do your own searching too. I only spent 2 minutes finding those listings and they may not be the best option.

Correct. I used Glasses Direct but there are many others out there. You will need a hard copy of your prescription (in the form it was given to you by Specsavers or Boots or whoever). The instructions are here. (You'll get your prescription back as soon as they authenticate it (which only takes a few days). There are loads of them. The V12s were issued to British troops but in true MOD style far too many sets were ordered. You can find them in various conditions between £10-25. Something like this set* comes with the interchangeable lenses. As for the inserts, you want the ESS VICE RXs; they can be had for about £10 from here*. Additionally, don't worry about removing the sample lenses from the ESS inserts - they'll do that for you. In fact, it's safer if you don't as they'll maintain their shape in the post.*Please do your own searching too. I only spent 2 minutes finding those listings and they may not be the best option.

Lovely stuff thanks a bunch! :-)

• Supporters

Just keep in mind a mate of mine was told last week that they couldn't make lenses for his inserts because they are curved. I have no idea if opticians have differing equipment but he went elsewhere and was told it's fine and will cost him £40

Just keep in mind a mate of mine was told last week that they couldn't make lenses for his inserts because they are curved. I have no idea if opticians have differing equipment but he went elsewhere and was told it's fine and will cost him £40

How bizarre!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.