UK air-soft laws for Under 18s

UKzBUSTER

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Is it illegal to Under 18s to carry a 2Tone airsoft rifle in a gun with a padlock on it on the train to a skirmish ?

Police might still stop/shoot you. You might want to cover it with something, ideally not something gun shaped.

Also, trigger locks are to stop unauthorised users - not the owner, so blocking the trigger with a locked device would provide you no relief if it was to prevent "yourself" from using it - that would be silly.

I do believe to carry a weapon in public under 18 you should be accompanied by an adult over 21. If caught carrying with out an adult it can carry a minimum of 5years sentence even if under 18.

You need to clarify weapon a somewhat, many airsoft guns are not even classified as lethal.

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/19 (Carrying Firearms in a Public Place)

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/schedule/6 (Table of punishments)

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/41 Not accurate - sentence is 6 months.

It would depend on whether the available defences apply to non adults: www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/37

I cannot see why they would not = you can carry it.

I think airsofting is the "or of illustrating conduct from a particular time or period in the past" So no scifi weapons, they're illegal :P

Op: yes, it's an offence under the firearms act to carry an imitation firearm in a public place. Full stop. It doesn't matter how old you are.

If you're using public transport I'd use a locked case that wouldn't appear at first glance to be a gun. And as long as you aren't wearing camo, people will probably think it's a guitar or some other instrument.

• Supporters

Op: yes, it's an offence under the firearms act to carry an imitation firearm in a public place. Full stop. It doesn't matter how old you are.

If you're using public transport I'd use a locked case that wouldn't appear at first glance to be a gun. And as long as you aren't wearing camo, people will probably think it's a guitar or some other instrument.

Wrong. Its completely fine to carry an airsoft gun in public as long as its concealed in a bag or case. People regularly use the train or tube wearing combats and carrying gun bags.

It only becomes an offence if you take the gun out and start waving it around in public. You can even carry it in the box it comes in.

I really wish people wouldnt keep giving out duff info.

You need to clarify weapon a somewhat, many airsoft guns are not even classified as lethal.

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/19 (Carrying Firearms in a Public Place)

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/schedule/6 (Table of punishments)

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/41 Not accurate - sentence is 6 months.

It would depend on whether the available defences apply to non adults: www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/37

I cannot see why they would not = you can carry it.

I think airsofting is the "or of illustrating conduct from a particular time or period in the past" So no scifi weapons, they're illegal :P

Thank you for correcting me. I was just going off what I know about air riffles. And thought it would be the same ruleing I believe the 5 years is if your caught with it on display.

Wrong. Its completely fine to carry an airsoft gun in public as long as its concealed in a bag or case. People regularly use the train or tube wearing combats and carrying gun bags.

It only becomes an offence if you take the gun out and start waving it around in public. You can even carry it in the box it comes in.

I really wish people wouldnt keep giving out duff info.

Read the firearms act, it's actually explicitly illegal to have with you an imitation firearm (i can't remember the exact wording) which includes having it in the boot of your car. You have a defence to use if you are taking it somewhere for legitimate reasons, like to a skirmish or a shop, but the law actually acts as a blanket ban on having them in public which is allowed to pass with reasonable grounds. So it comes down to both the "judgement of a reasonable person" and whether or not plod thinks you're being sensible

You are right though, since the key words are sensible and reasonable, so if you do it right and font cause any alarm, then you aren't going to be charged with an offence, but I assure you, I have read the legislation myself, and I strongly advise anyone else to do the same

Read the firearms act, it's actually explicitly illegal to have with you an imitation firearm (i can't remember the exact wording) which includes having it in the boot of your car. You have a defence to use if you are taking it somewhere for legitimate reasons, like to a skirmish or a shop, but the law actually acts as a blanket ban on having them in public which is allowed to pass with reasonable grounds. So it comes down to both the "judgement of a reasonable person" and whether or not plod thinks you're being sensible

You are right though, since the key words are sensible and reasonable, so if you do it right and font cause any alarm, then you aren't going to be charged with an offence, but I assure you, I have read the legislation myself, and I strongly advise anyone else to do the same

Thankfully it's set up so that the punishments are fairly minimal, 6mths i think, but it goes to life if they prove you had nefarious intent.

Note I said, 'if they prove' - not whether you actually had intent.

Thankfully it's set up so that the punishments are fairly minimal, 6mths i think, but it goes to life if they prove you had nefarious intent.

Note I said, 'if they prove' - not whether you actually had intent.

I'd not read the punishments to be fair, although an airsoft skirmish is hardly nefarious... Unless you really enjoy throwing pyros at young players and peppering them with fun-snaps til they tell their dad that the big kid is picking on them.

• Supporters

As long as its covered and you have a legitimate reason for carrying it there is no problem. The police have to prove you are carrying it for malicious purposes.

There are a lot of grey areas in the laws but I have never heard of an airsofter being prosecuted for carrying a airsoft gun. I regularly take mine on the train and will be taking it on the train in July when I go to a skirmish in Dorset will be travelling with my police officer brother and his son. Dont think he would appreciate it if it was illegal.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.