The hidden costs of an action camera(?)

Sacarathe

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, since all I can do is sit on my hands and wait for UKARA i'm been researching numerous details on airsoft and action cameras seem quite common.

I have decided to go with an NVG set up and I ordered the gopro NVG mount today (didn't cost me anything) - some other action cameras are gopro compatible, at the moment I am looking at the SJ4000 and Hero3+ Silver.

Generally speaking I just want to record for myself, but I have had a lot of fun looking at vids on YT so I'll probably put the best up there for general viewing, rather than blogging/wanabe commercial. However it is obvious that you can't just buy a camera and thats the end of it. Ignoring video editing software/hardware, and sticking to camera peripherals, how much does it cost to run an action camera with a good set up?

Considering the SJ4000 is only £70 it may be worth getting one just to see if its a good fit with me, but if I was to get the £250 gopro down the line (im not talking soon, need to get into airsoft first) what would I need (to spend) for an effective setup?

I've noticed gopro sell a LOT of accessories that serve difference purposes (admittedly many have strict camera compatibilities).

http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/accessories/ (there is a filter)

Also, does anyone know any good articles on low light performance comparison of the gopros, and whether that includes transitions from inside to outside.

ANY information about the SJ4000 would be appreciated (including how to avoid fakes:P).

Guest PT247

gopro is useless in woodland as an only camera. You can never see what you are shooting at through it. You'll probs want a zoomed "scope cam" as well which you can run in tandem. I'm still trying to get a decent set up of my cameras, scope cam is sorted thanks to BodgeUps old gear which I bought off him. I have a go pro but need a head mount for it.

• Supporters

I you want a gopro, it doesn't have too much extra cost. The software is free; the cost is in mounts and cases. I, personally, have spent quite a lot; but for skiing, real steel shooting, airsoft, diving, and such. For airsoft I have a GoPro Blackout case (£45, need it as te red light paints a target on my head in The Mall), a aluminium RIS mount (2 for £20), a few extra mounts and pieces (basically comes with the camera), and that's it. Filming airsoft in woodland isnt ideal; you can't get good footage. At somewhere like UCAP Sandpit, the open spaces Han give some good video; check out LunchboxTV for an example. CQB gets good footage, as long as it's not too dark, like basement areas of The Mall. You can look at my YouTube thread for gameplay at The Mall.

I film very similarly to you; not to publish, just for me. However, I found that I had a knack for being in the right place to film some funny moments, so that's my only video right now.

• Supporters

Hmm... Ok.. I run two cameras; both 3+s, one black, one silver. I believe I run them at at least that, and I get two or three games in at The Mall before switching batteries. Anyone on here know how long the first games at The Mall are approx? Never actually timed it...

• Supporters

Well, every game at The Mall lasts a different amount of time. I can check my recordings, but I often will stop recording if gameplay is boring, and start it again when it picks back up.

Well, every game at The Mall lasts a different amount of time. I can check my recordings, but I often will stop recording if gameplay is boring, and start it again when it picks back up.

Theres no need :) - As I am already down a lot without an AEG, i'm going to hold off getting an gopro. Might still a cheaper alt though.

gopro is useless in woodland as an only camera.

Gopros are great with the right editing skills

Here is one of my videos, it can be hard to see some players but with the zoom cam its great footage

Defo go for the gopro not the sj4000

• Supporters

Gopros are great with the right editing skills

Defo go for the gopro not the sj4000

True to that; I'm too new to filming airsoft to have gotten into anything beyond basic editing, and The Mall is so close range a zoom isn't needed.

I'm too new to filming airsoft to have gotten into anything beyond basic editing,

Yes u have seen your youtube channel and subscribed

Very good content :)

Having used both GoPro silvers and an SJ4000 (own one myself) I'd say go for the 4000 unless you're getting a GoPro black, but them things is expensive.

For the money the SJ4000 cant really be beaten.

• Supporters

Yes u have seen your youtube channel and subscribed

Very good content :)

Thank you :). It really just been used for whatever I want to upload; most of my videos are private so that I can download them to devices through iTube. But I figured, what the heck, and spent an afternoon making that one airsoft funny moments video. I plan to film the entire day of the 24th to try and get some good gameplay for a serious video; last time I was there I got plenty of kills, but wasn't filming after the second game due to the standard GoPro cases making a glowing red target on my forehead; hence my recent purchase of a Blackout case to eliminate this problem. So we will have to see how that goes...

• Supporters

Thank you :). It really just been used for whatever I want to upload; most of my videos are private so that I can download them to devices through iTube. But I figured, what the heck, and spent an afternoon making that one airsoft funny moments video. I plan to film the entire day of the 24th to try and get some good gameplay for a serious video; last time I was there I got plenty of kills, but wasn't filming after the second game due to the standard GoPro cases making a glowing red target on my forehead; hence my recent purchase of a Blackout case to eliminate this problem. So we will have to see how that goes...

Make sure you upload all the footage of tracers bouncing off you, cause that will be me. 😊

• Supporters

Make sure you upload all the footage of tracers bouncing off you, cause that will be me.

I thought we were gonna Army of Two it up :(

• Supporters

... Just reenact The War of 1812... We lost that one to y'all Brits, you and the Canadians...

• 3 weeks later...

^^ That's my only issue aswell! I have the GoPro 4 Silver (Superb) but 1: the correct SD card is going to cost £60+ so I went for the Samsung Evo which will still allow me to film at 1080 but at a lower fps rate. 2: each video file is about 20-30gb so drive space is definately worth thinking about! After i've edited it all down to a 5/10 minute file I save at about 1gb then dump the original file. Gopro studio is great as there's plenty on YT tutorials and if you call gopro they're "Super helpful"...

http://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/gopro-4-memory-card-recommended

^^ That's my only issue aswell! I have the GoPro 4 Silver (Superb) but 1: the correct SD card is going to cost £60+ so I went for the Samsung Evo which will still allow me to film at 1080 but at a lower fps rate. 2: each video file is about 20-30gb so drive space is definately worth thinking about! After i've edited it all down to a 5/10 minute file I save at about 1gb then dump the original file. Gopro studio is great as there's plenty on YT tutorials and if you call gopro they're "Super helpful"...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N98QLRQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00 (it was £33 when I got it last week)

I got this, was able to record at 1080 (not wide) @ 120.

As it is I have a pc with loads of storage, but that storage is not it's C drive either.

http://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/gopro-4-memory-card-recommended

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N98QLRQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00 (it was £33 when I got it last week)

I got this, was able to record at 1080 (not wide) @ 120.

As it is I have a pc with loads of storage, but that storage is not it's C drive either.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Didn't realize it was that price now! It was £65 back in January.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.