General gun maintenance

Dazb

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Me thinks very little for a little while...

the main thing is LISTEN to ya gun.....

She should be greased up nicely - sometime not as well as we would like with proper grease

but in general she ain't gonna be running dry either - plus too much grease is not a wise thing either

Yes after a couple of months you "could" give a squirt/dab of grease here n there but feel only if you

suspect she sounds a bit dry - but tbh if she sounded dry or performance dropped then I would crack her open

BUT if it ain't broke don't fix it as they say....

You should not need to worry with a half decent new gun for a while - no point keep opening her up if she don't need it

After a day's shooting - clean barrel - well you should of given it a clean maybe lunchtime if ya felt it needed it

anyway - clean barrel, empty mags of all bb's - this saves the spring in mag losing its tension btw

ensure you have fired the gun on semi to help "park" the gears/spring with least tension

and remove battery I guess......

24hrs later - bang out & clean ya boots of caked in mud ???

Nahhhhhhhhh - sod it they will only be getting muddy again soon

(unless you got a really nice pair of boots then you should look after them)

dunno if I missed anything out but that is my routine afterwards

(unless I'm so knackered and just flake in the chair on my return)

AEGs don't honestly need a lot of maintenance on a game to game basis. Cleaning the outside of gunk and especially drying it out if it got wet is about the most of what needs doing. But its worth knowing that BBs leave residue in the inner barrel and its a good idea to clean that regularly, every game I feel is a bit more than necessary but its a regular maintenance thing.

I clean everything after each game I attend, I discharge all my batteries and charge them the day before, empty all mags, fill gas mags to maintain the seals

Clean & polish my boots, wash all my kit, get mud of my plate carrier (ingrained mud dulls everything so takes the shine of it which is what you want)

Its all routine from my army cadet/army days so its all habit

Hopefully you received an unjamming rod, that will have an end for attaching cleaning cloth which you can run down the barrel and clean off the residue. A lot of guns out of the factory spurt greese into the inner barrel in the first 100 rounds so its a good idea to clean it all off and get the barrel dry again. A little thin silicon on kitchen paper with an unjamming rod is all it needs, then dry paper another 3 times to clean off the silicon.

I also have a routine for cleaning all the stuff, clothes, combat gear, guns etc, but the AEG rarely gets more than a wipe because it doesn't need anything doing.

• Supporters

Use rubbing alcohol instead of silicone. Silicone attracts dust and leave a slippery surface on the rubber - this comes off with a couple dozen of shots though.

So use rubbing alcohol on the piece of towel on the cleaning rod.

I read some guy said that you shouldn't use rubbing alcohol because it washes out the grease from the gears. I swear to god, he poured it down the barrel. :D

Use rubbing alcohol instead of silicone. Silicone attracts dust and leave a slippery surface on the rubber - this comes off with a couple dozen of shots though.

So use rubbing alcohol on the piece of towel on the cleaning rod.

I read some guy said that you shouldn't use rubbing alcohol because it washes out the grease from the gears. I swear to god, he poured it down the barrel. :D

Hunterseeker 5 (an american tech responsible for R hop and quite a few other innovations) has a test showing different cleaning materials verses BB residue and dirt. The end result of his testing is that silicon oil stops the BB residue build up the best and hence is the right material for the job. Yes you get a few inconsistent hopped rounds but the payoff in rejecting BB residue pays all day in accuracy.

• Supporters

wasn't me pouring $hit down the barrel - lol

silicone is da dogz nutz for slippery smoothness

more slippery than an italian waiter sniffing round ya girlfriend on holiday

it almost eliminates drag/friction - we use this $hit a lot at work

BUT it must stay away from hop of course....

I have cleaned barrel with alchol wipe swab and used a dried up one

to apply a small tiny amount of silicone on, squeezed out excess

and just gone in about 90% barrel to be safe and avoid the risk of contaminating the rubber

and yes it does make a difference - well a cleaner barrel would anyway over a dirty one

but swear blind if you are careful silicone is a good stuff

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.