Hello from Surrey!

Will Lewer

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone! My name is Will and I'm from Surrey. Recently become interested in airsoft and I'm hoping to attend a couple of skirmishes, gain my UKARA and purchase a gun (the Warrior L96 Mk3 sniper rifle). If anyone has had any experience with this gun and would recommend it then that would be appreciated! Also has anyone ever been to a skirmish at an Elite Action Games site? That is my closest skirmish and if anyone has any info on it or opinions then that would be good!! :D

The WELL MB-01 (Warrior L96) is a very good gun, but obviously will need upgrades. No sniper rifles are good out of the box.

They're one of the sniper rifles I recommend, alongside the JG BAR-10, which is a replica of the Tokyo Marui VSR-10 (I'd get the TM if you have the money)

I have an A&K M24, which comes with some good internals, but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to skirmish it yet. Nor have I got round to doing a review which I said I'd do, but disassembly proves harder than anticipated. Also I can't compare the performance to other sniper rifles since I have never shot any others.

If you wait until you've got your defence, order from a Polish retailer like TaiwanGun or Gunfire.pl and you'll be able to get it a lot cheaper than in the UK. Although there is £12 for shipping, they're only like 80 euros or something anyway.

But as Monty said, a bolt action isn't really the best choice to be honest. You'll see a lot of airsofters recommend against it for obvious kind of reasons.

First off you're outgunned by basically everyone.

As said above the need upgrades, otherwise performance won't be as you might expect. The same, or if not worse than an AEG in terms of range / accuracy. Only once you've spent quite a bit extra on them can you really see a proper improvement and advantage for using one over an AEG. But, that said, they are more fun and satisfying to use etc.

Another thing is that you might not find the play style enjoyable. Sniping is gonna involve sitting back, waiting for targets, whereas with anything else you can be up close in the action which is what most people want to experience and the thought is you won't get what you are expecting out of a skirmish using a bolt action rifle if you see what I'm saying.

+1 for a G&G Combat Machine though. Without a doubt the best you can get for your money, number 1 recommended gun on here. We always say new players should get one because they're great for the price.

Wish I'd known about them earlier and bought one myself, but rushed it and got a rubbish CYMA. :(

Best places to look are probably Land Warrior Airsoft, Airsoft World or Zero One Airsoft. The latter will have the best selection and according to their website the best prices on all G&G guns too.

Not only that but you also get a free skirmish voucher with your purchase.

Pro Airsoft Supplies did a transparent (therefore VCR Act compliant, no defence necessary) G&G CM16 and a package / bundle with the gun and a battery / charger for £120 but they might all be out of stock.

Same with Colchester Airsoft, but also sold out when I last checked.

Hope this helped mate and welcome to the forum! ;)

The WELL MB-01 (Warrior L96) is a very good gun, but obviously will need upgrades. No sniper rifles are good out of the box.

They're one of the sniper rifles I recommend, alongside the JG BAR-10, which is a replica of the Tokyo Marui VSR-10 (I'd get the TM if you have the money)

I have an A&K M24, which comes with some good internals, but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to skirmish it yet. Nor have I got round to doing a review which I said I'd do, but disassembly proves harder than anticipated. Also I can't compare the performance to other sniper rifles since I have never shot any others.

If you wait until you've got your defence, order from a Polish retailer like TaiwanGun or Gunfire.pl and you'll be able to get it a lot cheaper than in the UK. Although there is £12 for shipping, they're only like 80 euros or something anyway.

But as Monty said, a bolt action isn't really the best choice to be honest. You'll see a lot of airsofters recommend against it for obvious kind of reasons.

First off you're outgunned by basically everyone.

As said above the need upgrades, otherwise performance won't be as you might expect. The same, or if not worse than an AEG in terms of range / accuracy. Only once you've spent quite a bit extra on them can you really see a proper improvement and advantage for using one over an AEG. But, that said, they are more fun and satisfying to use etc.

Another thing is that you might not find the play style enjoyable. Sniping is gonna involve sitting back, waiting for targets, whereas with anything else you can be up close in the action which is what most people want to experience and the thought is you won't get what you are expecting out of a skirmish using a bolt action rifle if you see what I'm saying.

+1 for a G&G Combat Machine though. Without a doubt the best you can get for your money, number 1 recommended gun on here. We always say new players should get one because they're great for the price.

Wish I'd known about them earlier and bought one myself, but rushed it and got a rubbish CYMA. :(

Best places to look are probably Land Warrior Airsoft, Airsoft World or Zero One Airsoft. The latter will have the best selection and according to their website the best prices on all G&G guns too.

Not only that but you also get a free skirmish voucher with your purchase.

Pro Airsoft Supplies did a transparent (therefore VCR Act compliant, no defence necessary) G&G CM16 and a package / bundle with the gun and a battery / charger for £120 but they might all be out of stock.

Same with Colchester Airsoft, but also sold out when I last checked.

Hope this helped mate and welcome to the forum! ;)

Wow thanks! :) I'll most definitely purchase an AEG instead of a Sniper! My local gun dealer sells many G&G products as well as Tokyo Marui! I will consider the CM16 and I'll have to also purchase a CO2 GBB Pistol for CQB. Are G&G a very good company? I've heard little about them and I always seem hear about Tokyo Marui being a fantastic brand. Is this true? :o

Hi, welcome in.

As said a sniper is not a great 1st gun so won't repeat other peoples posts. But do concur that for the money a G&G CM16 is a good start in the world of airsoft. Don't go CO2 either for your first pistol, will probs be too hot for cqb. Grab a TM GBB pistol if funds stretch to it, most people say don't bother with pistols till you have other more important kit... spare mags, spare battery, decent boots etc, but if heart set on one then buy good rather than something that will not be skirmishable in the environment you wish to use it.

Also check out http://www.surplusstore.co.uk/ (Crawley Surplus Store) they have a great range of guns and iirc each gun purchased from them gets you a free skirmish day at Dogtag Airsoft nr Horsham, it is a cracking airsoft site, and far larger than the EAG sites and is also full of friendly faces happy to welcome new players.

If dark (really bloody proper dark) and in your face cqb is your thing then The Tunnels (EAG Epsom) is great fun for an evening but is a very very small play area so might get a bit repetitive after a bit. Dogtag Airsoft run generally every 2 weeks, the next game day being this coming Sunday (14th) and their rental guns are pretty much bang on the 350fps limit and shoot pretty good.... I have been shot out by many rental guys :$ lol

Dogtag Airsoft game dates can be found here: http://www.holmbushpaintball.co.uk/airsoft/

Welcome aboard. Actually, you don't need a UKARA to buy an L96, you only need a UKARA if you buy a realistically coloured L96 which could be mistaken for the real thing. This is not a big deal because most airsoft snipers emulate real world snipers and end up camouflaging their rifles, by either painting them, applying camouflage tape, or draping scrim nets over them (usually a combination of all three). And since you'll likely be doing that, the original colour hardly matters much. So, for example, you could buy this without a UKARA registration:

http://www.geniestuff.co.uk/airsoft-sniper-rifle-l96-mk3-mb01-two-tone-bundle.htm

But...

That being said, most people who enjoy airsoft (including me) would probably not recommend going straight in sniping when starting out. There are a few reasons for this, but the main one is that if you are just starting out, how do you know you'd like sniping? Yes it is cool in FPS games to snipe, but it is very different in airsoft, for one thing the range is a lot less, so it's not always suited to every airsoft site and even when it is, it requires you to know the terrain and who is on your team, which is difficult when starting out. Bear in mind too, that as Winter befalls us, that camo is going to be more problematic amongst bare trees. There is also the aspect of cost; yes you can buy an L96 and a scope and it will be okay, but most people into sniping have spent a great deal of money on souping up their weapons with custom hop up units, fancy barrels, silencers, expensive scopes, replacement springs, custom cocking levers, drilled out pistons, not to mention ghillie suits, camo cream, polished BBs, decent back up weapons etc, etc, and a good deal of experience as to where people will be moving at the site they shoot at. You might also like to note that many 'snipers' are these days preferring DMRs (designated marksman rifles), because it means that they can snipe, but stay up with the action as it moves forwards, because it's easy to miss the action in a good sniping spot if people don't come your way, and even if they do, you can be sure they will eventually close you down, so a DMR (typically something like a souped up M16A3 set to fire at 400fps and locked to semi auto fire only) is a good thing to have in those circumstances. And even then, you'd probably still need a very good back up pistol or something like an MP5K or Skorpion for when people get real close. So what that tells you, is that starting out as a sniper is not exactly the cheap option, nor even necessarily the most fun option either.

In other words, it's smarter to go to a few skirmishes and use rental gear, see what you like, then decide what to go for. This also means that after a few skirmishes, you'd have your UKARA registration anyway if you applied for it, so it solves that problem too. But more importantly, if you attend the same site regularly, you can see what everyone else favours, have a handle of, and maybe try a few shots with people's weapons (I think it is fair to say that most people will let you do this if you are polite and ask nicely, and in fact I've frequently lent people weapons to use in a skirmish whom I've literally never met before and personally never even skirmished with that weapon myself. Did this the other day in fact with my literally brand new customised AK12 - yes, we are generally a pretty sociable bunch).

There is no substitute for trying stuff out when starting out, and it avoids the possibility of you spending money on stuff you later regret buying. Yes it is true that most of us are 'gear whores' who spend far too much money on weapons, outfits and accessories, but that's something you can make an informed choice about when having been skirmishing for a while, and is after all part of the fun. For example, lots of people start out buying all kinds of uniforms, webbing, belts, pouches, packs etc, so they end up looking like they are about to do a special forces HALO jump out of a C-130 into war-torn North Korea, only to realise that whilst this gear would indeed be good if you were going behind enemy lines on a four day mission, it is way over the top for a few hours running around in the woods and does nothing other than impact on your ability to move freely about and prevent you from feeling hits, leading to accusations of you being a 'cheater'. Thus experience teaches people the right gear to go for. So it is far more important try before you buy. Yes, you will buy the odd thing you regret, or like less than you thought - we've all been there and done that - but make sure that this isn't your main weapon.

I'm not trying to put you off sniping - I've got an SVD dragunov sniper rifle myself - and for all I know you might turn out to be the best airsoft sniper ever, but give regular skirmishing with an assault weapon a go - use some rental gear and it will only be a fiver or so more per skirmish - and talk to a few people at the skirmish site before you decide for sure. You will make friends fast - I guarantee it - because there is nothing us airsoft nerds like more than to bang on about our gear, which is why we are on this forum after all.

There is a reason why so many people on this site recommend the G&G M4 as a good starting weapon, and it isn't only because of its reliability and inexpensive price.

Anyway, welcome aboard! :)

Hi, welcome in.

As said a sniper is not a great 1st gun so won't repeat other peoples posts. But do concur that for the money a G&G CM16 is a good start in the world of airsoft. Don't go CO2 either for your first pistol, will probs be too hot for cqb. Grab a TM GBB pistol if funds stretch to it, most people say don't bother with pistols till you have other more important kit... spare mags, spare battery, decent boots etc, but if heart set on one then buy good rather than something that will not be skirmishable in the environment you wish to use it.

Also check out http://www.surplusstore.co.uk/ (Crawley Surplus Store) they have a great range of guns and iirc each gun purchased from them gets you a free skirmish day at Dogtag Airsoft nr Horsham, it is a cracking airsoft site, and far larger than the EAG sites and is also full of friendly faces happy to welcome new players.

If dark (really bloody proper dark) and in your face cqb is your thing then The Tunnels (EAG Epsom) is great fun for an evening but is a very very small play area so might get a bit repetitive after a bit. Dogtag Airsoft run generally every 2 weeks, the next game day being this coming Sunday (14th) and their rental guns are pretty much bang on the 350fps limit and shoot pretty good.... I have been shot out by many rental guys :$ lol

Dogtag Airsoft game dates can be found here: http://www.holmbushpaintball.co.uk/airsoft/

Thanks for the welcome! :) Actually Crawley Surplus Store is my local RFD and it's only a few miles away from me haha! I searched for Skirmish sites and EAG Epsom was my closest, yet I don't really think I'd find a dark bunker too appealing. I'd rather be outside with an AEG with space so I will definitely check out Dogtag Airsoft!! :D

when are you thinking on going?

Come say hi when you get there, I wear Polish woodland camo normally and am the one making lots of noise with RPGs :D

I don't really think I'd find a dark bunker too appealing. I'd rather be outside with an AEG with space

Yup, darkened indoor CQB is a bit of an acquired taste. It can get costly too, since you are far more likely to need flashbangs, grenades, pistols, knives, night vision, tac lights, helmet, radio, etc, etc, and a compact main weapon helps as well. Having said that, you do get to make knife kills and can do fun stuff like using a shotgun as your main weapon, or even dual-wielding pistols, so it has merits. Indoor sites also tend to be a bit better in the Winter cold, as it can be a bit hard on you being out in the rain all day at a woodland site, or fun, depending on your point of view.

That and the fact that you tend to get more injuries because of taking hits at closer ranges. I occasionally come back from indoor CQB with a few nice red spots from hits on my arms and legs.

And whilst we are on the subject of taking hits, please do make sure that you use good quality full face protection. BBs may not be lethal, but they can easily take an eye out or smash a tooth out (and yes that does happen - seen a few people get teeth shot out). Decent face and neck protection should not be an afterthought, but again, this is something you can check out whilst using rental gear. Glasses and masks can fog up, wire mesh goggles and face masks don't do that, Arab keffiyah scarves do a good job of protecting your neck, but the traditional white ones stick out like a sore thumb in woodlands, so get a green or olive drab one, white ones are okay in dark CQB. Separate eye and lower face protection means you can quickly lower your mouth protection to take a drink and still keep your eyes covered when in the shooting areas (and that's another thing to take to airsoft, something to drink in a small bottle you can carry with you, otherwise you will get dehydrated, even in Winter). Big face masks give good protection, but bulky ones can make it tricky to aim your weapon, as the mask prevents you from getting the weapon into your cheek. In airsoft, you tend to get hit more in the face, neck and right arm, since these are generally the more exposed areas when you pop up or out from cover to take aim, especially if you hold your rifle using a 'chicken wing' stance.

Oh and if you are going woodland primarily, then knee pads are a good thing to have, they stop you hurting your knees when you drop to aim, and they keep your knees a bit drier. Because you will be dropping for cover and crawling around a lot.

when are you thinking on going?

Come say hi when you get there, I wear Polish woodland camo normally and am the one making lots of noise with RPGs :D

Haha so I shouldn't miss you then if you're making a lot of noise! :') Unfortunately I cannot attend this Sunday's skirmish but I should be able to go in January! I shall come and say hi then! I've recently sold two of my air pistols to fund an AEG and other equipment. :)

Yup, darkened indoor CQB is a bit of an acquired taste. It can get costly too, since you are far more likely to need flashbangs, grenades, pistols, knives, night vision, tac lights, helmet, radio, etc, etc, and a compact main weapon helps as well. Having said that, you do get to make knife kills and can do fun stuff like using a shotgun as your main weapon, or even dual-wielding pistols, so it has merits. Indoor sites also tend to be a bit better in the Winter cold, as it can be a bit hard on you being out in the rain all day at a woodland site, or fun, depending on your point of view.

That and the fact that you tend to get more injuries because of taking hits at closer ranges. I occasionally come back from indoor CQB with a few nice red spots from hits on my arms and legs.

And whilst we are on the subject of taking hits, please do make sure that you use good quality full face protection. BBs may not be lethal, but they can easily take an eye out or smash a tooth out (and yes that does happen - seen a few people get teeth shot out). Decent face and neck protection should not be an afterthought, but again, this is something you can check out whilst using rental gear. Glasses and masks can fog up, wire mesh goggles and face masks don't do that, Arab keffiyah scarves do a good job of protecting your neck, but the traditional white ones stick out like a sore thumb in woodlands, so get a green or olive drab one, white ones are okay in dark CQB. Separate eye and lower face protection means you can quickly lower your mouth protection to take a drink and still keep your eyes covered when in the shooting areas (and that's another thing to take to airsoft, something to drink in a small bottle you can carry with you, otherwise you will get dehydrated, even in Winter). Big face masks give good protection, but bulky ones can make it tricky to aim your weapon, as the mask prevents you from getting the weapon into your cheek. In airsoft, you tend to get hit more in the face, neck and right arm, since these are generally the more exposed areas when you pop up or out from cover to take aim, especially if you hold your rifle using a 'chicken wing' stance.

Oh and if you are going woodland primarily, then knee pads are a good thing to have, they stop you hurting your knees when you drop to aim, and they keep your knees a bit drier. Because you will be dropping for cover and crawling around a lot.

Knee padding sounds like a good idea! With the guns aside there's still a lot of clothing and essentiel equipment that I'll need! I'm sure dark CQB is fun and using shotguns and dual pistols sounds interesting so I'll probably try that in the future :)

Knee padding sounds like a good idea! With the guns aside there's still a lot of clothing and essentiel equipment that I'll need! I'm sure dark CQB is fun and using shotguns and dual pistols sounds interesting so I'll probably try that in the future :)

You don't have to spend a lot to be adequately equipped for airsoft. Sure a lot of people are in full combat gear, but it's something you can build up, after all, if you had an M4 and wore a pair of jeans or cargo pants, a body warmer with a shirt, some decent boots or high ankle trainers, a baseball cap and a keffeyah scarf, you'd look like a CIA operative, which might actually be quite a cool look. Just make sure you'll be warm and dry enough if you're going woodland this time of year. A baseball cap will stop BBs just as well as most helmets, as will jeans, in fact, jeans would probably stop BBs better than combat pants. The only thing you really need to worry about getting sooner rather than later, is face protection and possibly some thin gloves that you can work a weapon whilst wearing.

• Supporters

Hi & welcome - bit late but welcome anyway....

G&G - one of best brands to start with - think nigh on all will agree

(yup there are some others but you won't go wrong with G&G)

CO2 pistol - that maybe a bit hot - over 350 limit but the other type Green Gas should be ok

(Co2 with fresh bulb can be hitting 450fps GG about 360 - but they start to come down & settle after few shots)

Or Electric or AEP like Cyma Glock CM030 - but only hits about 200fps

TBH - pistol can wait - get a decent G&G primary and some boots + eye protection and see how ya go

my local TWA Surrey are running 2 Saturday's in a row 13th + 20th and hope to go to both

beats xmas shopping - sorry Mrs Duck gotta take junior otherwise I'd love to walk round shops with ya

I started airsoft about 5 months ago and used hire guns the first 3 or 4 skirmishes to get a feel for the sport before I invested in some equipment, It also helped me decide which style of gun to purchase as I was able to try a variety of guns out (MP5, M4/M16, G36 and an AKM) and decided I liked the feel of the M4 best so I purchased a G&G cm16 carbine, I can say that it is a great gun considering it only cost £120 so if I were you I would definitely go that route of trying out guns before you buy them even if thats just holding them and testing them in the shop. :)

Hi & welcome - bit late but welcome anyway....

G&G - one of best brands to start with - think nigh on all will agree

(yup there are some others but you won't go wrong with G&G)

CO2 pistol - that maybe a bit hot - over 350 limit but the other type Green Gas should be ok

(Co2 with fresh bulb can be hitting 450fps GG about 360 - but they start to come down & settle after few shots)

Or Electric or AEP like Cyma Glock CM030 - but only hits about 200fps

TBH - pistol can wait - get a decent G&G primary and some boots + eye protection and see how ya go

my local TWA Surrey are running 2 Saturday's in a row 13th + 20th and hope to go to both

beats xmas shopping - sorry Mrs Duck gotta take junior otherwise I'd love to walk round shops with ya

Haha thanks for the welcome! :) Yeah I'm beginning to hear a lot of positive stuff about G&G and at the moment I'm leaning towards purchasing a CM16 or most likely a G&G GC16 Mod0 30th anniversary addition. I like the look of the GC16 and it has a metal receiver - judging from reviews it seems to be a well built AEG and great for skirmishes! ;) However, I obviously don't have UKARA yet, hence I'll have to attend a few skirmishes and hire a gun and hopefully send off for my UKARA. Then I'll look into purchasing a G&G.... :D

I started airsoft about 5 months ago and used hire guns the first 3 or 4 skirmishes to get a feel for the sport before I invested in some equipment, It also helped me decide which style of gun to purchase as I was able to try a variety of guns out (MP5, M4/M16, G36 and an AKM) and decided I liked the feel of the M4 best so I purchased a G&G cm16 carbine, I can say that it is a great gun considering it only cost £120 so if I were you I would definitely go that route of trying out guns before you buy them even if thats just holding them and testing them in the shop. :)

My local dealer sells a variety of G&Gs (including the CM16) and they even have an indoor test range so hopefully I'll get the opportunity test out the CM16! :) :)

Theoretically, if you can convince the dealer that you are a legit skirmisher or have some other reasonable defence for having a RIF, then they might (and I do mean might, since it's their ass on the line) sell you one without a UKARA number. UKARA is merely a convenient way for them to check that you are legit, and if there is some other way for you to prove this, then that'd be ok, for example, someone from the dealer might see you a couple of times at a skirmish and be able to confirm you are a keen airsofter. However, in practical terms, you might just as well use rental gear and get the UKARA application in, thus removing all doubt. UKARA is by no means the perfect solution to distance selling RIFs, but it is what we've ended up with, so it's kind of the devil we know.

Timing wise it's not bad for you at the moment, since you need three skirmishes over a two calendar month period to qualify for a UKARA application. Since it is the 9th today, you're a third of the way to the second month, so you could do a skirmish this weekend, one next weekend or the weekend after, and by then you'd only need one in January to tick the boxes. Fire off the application, and you'd likely be UKARA'd up before Jan 10, meaning your two month qualifying time would be covered in approximately one month in terms of days.

As monty pointed out (2nd post), He cant get on the UKARA database as hes Under 18 (16 was the age on profile before) Which means it will have to be a gift from someone else, or a two tone from mum and dad at xmas.

Theoretically, if you can convince the dealer that you are a legit skirmisher or have some other reasonable defence for having a RIF, then they might (and I do mean might, since it's their ass on the line) sell you one without a UKARA number. UKARA is merely a convenient way for them to check that you are legit, and if there is some other way for you to prove this, then that'd be ok, for example, someone from the dealer might see you a couple of times at a skirmish and be able to confirm you are a keen airsofter. However, in practical terms, you might just as well use rental gear and get the UKARA application in, thus removing all doubt. UKARA is by no means the perfect solution to distance selling RIFs, but it is what we've ended up with, so it's kind of the devil we know.

Timing wise it's not bad for you at the moment, since you need three skirmishes over a two calendar month period to qualify for a UKARA application. Since it is the 9th today, you're a third of the way to the second month, so you could do a skirmish this weekend, one next weekend or the weekend after, and by then you'd only need one in January to tick the boxes. Fire off the application, and you'd likely be UKARA'd up before Jan 10, meaning your two month qualifying time would be covered in approximately one month in terms of days.

am not sure how this sits. I believe no matter what point in the month you start skirmishing the time starts from then, so 2 months and a day is roughly 61 days from first game. Guess interpretation of rules is what matters, you may find one site is happy with the months ticking by while another would prefer you tick the actual days by.

To be honest, even the information on the UKARA site conflicts itself on this matter. For example it says this:

'you must be a regular player at that game site, having attended 3 games in a period which exceeds 2 months'

but then it also says this: 'The time period over which you have to play your 3 games is at the discretion of the participating game site providing the 3 games are not played in a time that is less than 2 months'

Although to be fair, their FAQ does include the following: 'This guide has been compiled over a number of months, some of the information may no longer be valid or accurate'

Whatever the interpretation, I know that when I contacted them on the matter, I was told that the three games had to over a period which covers two calendar months, i.e. it could literally be over a period of as little as five weeks, since that could not possibly be done in one month, and as far as I'm aware, that is how most sites treat the matter. It is certainly what happened with my UKARA form, although to be honest, by the time it was filled out and submitted, I think I was over two months anyway.

In any case, as has been pointed out, it's a moot point since the OP is not over 18 years of age and cannot register with UKARA. That, in my opinion, is a flaw in the UKARA scheme, since that over 18 age limit age limit precludes the ability of a parent who is not UKARA registered from buying a RIF for their kid who is into skirmishing regularly and who could prove the matter. I would not see a problem with altering the scheme to take that circumstance into account, providing the minor could quote their UKARA number when the parent ordered the thing. It would be obvious enough that this was legitimate when checking the UKARA number, since the address that the UKARA number was attributed to and the parent's address where the order was being delivered would be one and the same. None of that would contravene anything in the VCR Act.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.