Thought I'd put this question out there....

Steelrain

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

There are different types of mesh and most of what we call 'mesh' is in fact not, but rather perforated sheet. I'm pretty certain that Hero Sharks perforated sheet would withstand 00 buckshot from close range, but be that as it may, it will withstand anything you could fire from a BB gun, whether within UK site limits of 500FPS x 0.2g BB @20m range, or point blank 25mm range (the average distance at which we chrono to test that a gun is within limits, so basically the worst case scenario) which we know it does withstand, or some monster dick-around-gun with an M200 spring, 6.01x700mm TBB, firing steel ball bearings... but Hero Sharks have the largest holes of any commercially available 'mesh' goggles, so they allow the largest fragments through. But these fragments, even in the worst case scenario on a UK site, cannot be carrying more than a fraction over 0.1 Joules, which is not sufficient to damage your eye.

But at the other end there is the kind of cheapo perforated sheet used in the type of goggles in that video and the mask in that starter pack - a single shot cannot pierce it. In my own tests it took 17 hits from 0.2g BB's at around 330FPS full auto into exactly the same spot, from 25mm, to get one to pierce the 'mesh' - or 14 fired semi-auto (because full-auto BB's hitting each other absorb some of their energy). Which is well within 1 second's rate of fire of many AEG's, but assumes that you could keep your head still (even if you wanted to) - which you couldn't.

All polycarbonate lenses either fog or rain out. That is a fact. It is just a matter of how long it takes for it to happen. You can delay it with things like Cat Crap or Fog Tech and these treatments may delay fogging/rain out long enough that you can get through 40min games or longer without suffering, but that is unlikely unless there are gaps around the edges of the frames...

Whatever you choose, be aware that shooting glasses with gaps around their edges are not designed for airsoft. It is possible for BB's to ricochet off your equipment and fit between them and your skin - a person was hit in the eye like this relatively recently. He did make a full recovery, however it was a lot worse than any damage a BB fragment could do, even if you were daft enough to rub your eye before rinsing the fragment out with water. You really should choose eyepro which fits flush against your face.

The way forward is probably polycarbonate goggles with a fan, such as ESS Turbofan.

Guns wise... join the dark side - get a CYMA CM.048 ;)

You really should choose eyepro which fits flush against your face.

The way forward is probably polycarbonate goggles with a fan, such as ESS Turbofan.

Guns wise... join the dark side - get a CYMA CM.048 ;)

From what I can see (no pun intended) levelpeaks.com appear to be the only uk distributor and they are some nice goggles/glasses.

Even the fan doesn't stop the rainout for me. Its significantly better than a basic pair of goggles but I do suffer rainout that blocks vision most games for a while.

Even the fan doesn't stop the rainout for me. Its significantly better than a basic pair of goggles but I do suffer rainout that blocks vision most games for a while.

And would you rather those than anything else on the market?

Where did you get them from?

And would you rather those than anything else on the market?

Where did you get them from?

so the turbofan are expensive but ess so they should be great quality. You may have to import a pair, only thing I have heard is that they are quite loud (copying your pun :) )

Check out amped airsoft, in the video ask amped they talk about so goggles part the way through. The turbo fans crop up as well as a few others may want to check them out

Mine are the Revision Desert Locusts, got them from tactical-kit.co.uk. I saw quite a few reviews of the ESS saying the fans failed frequently so decided I would buy a different model. Expensive but I can see most of the time and see well. On a scale of 1-10 sweatiness I would rate myself a 327 and it still mostly copes. I think I could do with about 50% more airflow especially on the cold days like today but its the best solution I have found and I don't know of anything better. Cheap it certainly is not.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.