TAG innovation adaptation.

GrindandClick

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I don't believe it's the promoter's responsibility to guarantee safety. Nobody ever says, "Shooting glasses are not designed for airsoft - you cannot play here if that is your only eyepro." They also don't say, "Trainers are not suitable footwear - you cannot play here unless you wear boots." Most sites do require u16's to wear full face protection, but they do not tell adults, "BB's take teeth out - you cannot take that risk." They say, "We recommend..."

Personally, knowing how thrown MK5's spin end over end and bounce off anything they hit in a totally random way, I expect that I would be able to place a TAG shot more accurately.

Debatable. I think organisers have a duty of care to take reasonable precautions.

If, as we do, you have a rule that:

Pyro’s must not be thrown at a live target.

ANY heavy cased pyro’s must be under arm rolled or dropped ONLY!

BB Claymore and powder mines must not be set up to hit above 3ft from the ground.

it would be wrong to allow what are effectively airborne MK5s which are dropped on to target.

At 80m and with single rounds, you cant be that accurate.

• Supporters

Actually that sounded worse than i intended, above. What i mean is that it is the responsibility of the promoter/organiser to guarantee safety from being wounded by expected hazards, but not safety from small hurts, such as being singed by pyros, cut/grazed by rough terrain, shot in painful places, etc.

I don't see what is different about a thrown MK5 potentially landing on your head and going off and a TAG round hitting you and going off.

I agree. Its largely the same in effect.

With a hand thrown pyro, you can see the 15-20m that you are throwing and ensure as best you can that a live target is not in the way.

If you fire a grenade launcher on a arc in the direction of a camp or defence 60+m away, you really have no idea where it will land. Trajectory and the influence of crosswinds could put that Reaper or Archangel on somebody's head. The latter explodes on impact.

I don't see what is different about a thrown MK5 potentially landing on your head and going off and a TAG round hitting you and going off.

• Supporters

Yeah but a TAG is surrounded by soft foam, whereas a MK5 exploding on your head could be the exact thin bit of cardboard which disintegrates in the bang right next to your skin, so although it may be a little more likely to happen, a Tag would hurt a lot less. Either way though, it would just sting and may blister. For the fun factor, that is a risk worth taking imo.

We are going to try the training rounds for taking vehicles out in our next game.

If they ever launch the smoke product here, which is unlikely as they tell me its puts out very little smoke and will cost a lot of money to get through CE approval, then we will use that for assaults on defended positions.

we run the rule that you must always be able to see where you are throwing an exploding pyro so treated like blind firing. (smoke are a different case) and always underarm, when TAGs are used on site you must fire it like a grenade and not like a mortar, and having been in one of our huts when one came through the window i would say simmilar if not a little less unpleasent than a Mk5 or EG field Grenade.

The TAG grenades are a long range grenade, they should not be intentionally fired at an individual, they are also very accurate (considering most launchers don't have sights). I'll be posting a vid of me getting shot well within that 60m range mentioned soon as I want folk on the site I play at to know I'd take one at far closer distance than they would ever be fired in a skirmish and a mate has said they'll film it for me.

Id like to see that. We were asked to look into TAG by one of our players, so we have and made a preliminary decision after some discussion amongst the group which took into account organiser liability and what players were willing to sign up to.

Its always difficult without first hand experience of the product itself.

We will continue to evaluate TAG going forward, so are always interested in video evidence etc.

We hope to learn a lot by using the training rounds at the next game if the interested player (s) decide to stump up the financial commitment and use them

sorry the vid is so short. This is at around 10m range, powered with CO2:

I'll not lie, it did sting but no more really than a paintball does at close range. These are not to be used in this way, it is just a demonstration to show the effect on a person at close range. When firing they should not be aimed at a person and you should warn folk you are about to fire. Our site these and shower grenades we have to shout RPG, for flashbangs and smoke we shout grenade before we fire/throw.

These with CO2 will easily travel 100m and be accurate enough to take bunkers out from long range. I love them and even the folk who got killed by them seemed to love them too.... I'm expecting to not be the only person using them at my local site before too long. A journalist from Airsoft Action magazine was very intrigued with them too on Sunday, Next time he comes to the site I will see if he wants to use a couple in a skirmish.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for info.....

Have a big flippin crack in my S-Thunder shorty poly launcher, it don't appear to be man enough for the CO2. If buying one, buy metal!

• 2 months later...

Still out of stock in the whole of the UK unfortunately. I have contacted Airsoft World to ask when they are getting more in. May be worth you contacting them too as if they feel there is demand they may order more earlier!

Have spoken. Will be about another two weeks subject to UK customs clearance.

Still out of stock in the whole of the UK unfortunately. I have contacted Airsoft World to ask when they are getting more in. May be worth you contacting them too as if they feel there is demand they may order more earlier!

• Supporters

JD Airsoft have them in stock (according to their website).

I've heard one too many tales of woe concerning JD's customer service to even consider buying something from them which may require after sales support...

11046186_1591921711052346_36445821734468

Fired the launcher dry - healthy bang and smoke from the gas charge. Couldnt get it to hold gas a second time. Reset the primer pin as per the vague instructions. Still didn't work - just vented. So, took the grenade launcher apart and used silicon grease and some oil to lubricate the three O rings. Works now !!

it seems quite a tight fit to get the shell into the rifled launcher tube. Don't want to push it too far in as I'm not ready to use it and don't want it sitting in the tube for a month. Will probably use some oil to ease it down. It doesn't say explicitly in the instructions but looking at YT videos it seems you are supposed to push down on the nose of the grenade which seems a bit weird.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.