TM gearboxes

n1ckh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Think I found a cracking deal BUT the gearbox is for a Tokyo marui M4 (it says in the write up but not other info)

I'd love to buy it as its front wired (I rewired mine to front wire) and it also means I can wire in my MOSFET without busting my other gearbox

I've got the G&G cm16 CQB M4 but will the TM gearbox fit in place of my exsisting gearbox

Nick

Cheese - its because its front wired as that's how I've made my existing gearbox plus I can use it practice installing the MOSFET without damaging my G&G gearbox, I know it won't be any better, on the plus side though, if anything breaks or I mess up, I have a gearbox for spares

Monty - that's all I needed to know thankyou

Flex - yes that's correct, just wanted to know if it'll drop straight in without modding it

• Supporters

in general it will all fit

BUT

there a few boxes that don't fit too well in some receivers

SRC piles of pooh can be picky - that tiny thin pin don't line up 101% with some boxes

but another box fits perfectly & vice versa - jjeeeeeeeeez

(I currently have 3 boxes & 2 receivers that finally will fit perfect but not other way)

generally me thinks TM into G&G will be fine but have found the odd ball ache

• Supporters

fair enough, if you got a good deal on it then it's a damn sight better an idea than pulling your perfectly functioning G&G box apart and breaking it while learning!

Ah but if it's an untouched TM gearbox would he in fact be better off pulling the G&G one apart? Because...TM magical fairy dust?

Thanks guys :) now I'm at an impass lol

It seems I would be better just getting a whole new trigger setup (eBay for £17) and doing the soldering I need on that

Either way, I'll still need to take A gearbox apart to do what I need so I'll go with the trigger as that's the bit I'll be working on really

wait, is it a TM gearbox? or fit's a marui, but is aftermarket if you like?

I can see what you mean in terms of buying another one to take apart, but unless it was a cracker of a deal I would just take apart my current one and upgrade it, I don't think it can be that much better than a G&G (correct me if I'm wrong) I thought the marui magical dust was the hop?

Anyway, if you got a great deal sure go for it :)

• Supporters

Ah but if it's an untouched TM gearbox would he in fact be better off pulling the G&G one apart? Because...TM magical fairy dust?

Six of one half a dozen of the other I think, G&G make excellent gearboxes by and large, TM set themselves apart with the quality of their hop-up units and inner barrels. Their standard V2 non-blowback/recoil boxes aren't really anything to write home about, they're certainly better than JG/Cyma/dboys/other chinese dodgy brand but that's only due to excellent QC.

• Supporters

Thanks guys :) now I'm at an impass lol

It seems I would be better just getting a whole new trigger setup (eBay for £17) and doing the soldering I need on that

Either way, I'll still need to take A gearbox apart to do what I need so I'll go with the trigger as that's the bit I'll be working on really

If the new GB is TM compatible and not an actual TM then yes, take that one apart. Ultimately you know what the G&G one is capable of and at least you will have a known fallback situation.

What's the actual problem with the gun?

• Supporters

Six of one half a dozen of the other I think, G&G make excellent gearboxes by and large, TM set themselves apart with the quality of their hop-up units and inner barrels. Their standard V2 non-blowback/recoil boxes aren't really anything to write home about, they're certainly better than JG/Cyma/dboys/other chinese dodgy brand but that's only due to excellent QC.

To be honest I was only being semi serious! The aged TM box I have butchered was certainly not huge amounts better than any other I have since taken apart (mostly due to age I think). I'm certainly getting a bit nervous about ripping into my G&G SCAR to fit the BTC Mosfet that has just been labelled as dispatched (EXCITE) as I know it works and works well!

The box says its Tokyo marui for M4's but wasn't sure if it was compatible with other brand M4's

Flex - nothings wrong with either gearboxes, the TM box is front wired as that's where I have battery's so I didn't need to buy anymore, I'm fitting a MOSFET (when it arrives) I can disassemble the TM box, see how its all done and solder in the MOSFET, put in my rifle and keep the other as a spare

Simple fact is, its an experiment, for £50 I think its good as most are £60+

G&G make gearboxes in both directions and I believe you can just buy them, its more likely to fit coming from the manufacturer. Give proairsoft a call and ask if they can get you one, probably a complete one.

I'll give them a try and see what happens but as I said above, its purely experimental and I'd have a gearbox of spares

I always take photos as I disassemble so I know how it goes back together

• Supporters

if you are getting a box and will deffo be fitting a mosfet in there then you could consider a Quick Change one

some of these QC use microswitches instead of regular trigger switch

microswitches are not ideal to use on their own in long term as running higher volt/amps

as in normal non-mosfet setup will lead to increased arcing/carbon build up on microswitch

in long term running these with lots of load may/will eventually burn out microswitch

BUT - if wired for mosfet and then switch is trigger low load then these are perfectly fine for long term use

well that is my understanding of some QC boxes with microswitches - used in normal non-mosfet mode

and the switch will burn out unless mosfet installed

front wired mosfet is imho - noobish still, but think front wired mosfet is a tad easier than rear wired

due to no extra wire(s) running by motor/bevel gear - only the normal 2 motor leads

rear wired ones and if thicker 16 or 14swg used can be a little tight with another mosfet wire running

by motor so needs a bit more cable care on reaer wired ver 2 mosfet install

I chucked together a pre wired rear mosfet - thought it would be ok for clearance only to rip the wires

when testing motor in box - b0ll0cks !!!!

then thought I wouldn't have this cramped for space issue with front wired - damn it

also suppose the actual layout of mosfet signal wire could be improved slightly as well as the trigger

switch desgin is so friggin dated and prone to fail/wear especially on semi

(things still to do is do away with with mech switch and make switch all electronic but other crap keeps taking my time)

soz for waffle - but microswitch or electronic trigger are not really for normal non-mosfet setup

BUT perfect for the lower load mosfet box setup

helmetworld do a QC microswitch box and AK2M4 do one as well as I think a few others

15% off helmetworld voucher - NC15

might still work but not sure

but could consider a QC microswitch box for about £55ish I reckon

Funny enough duck, I was reading up on micro switches (I use them in my rc boats) and came to the same conclusion

As for MOSFETS, I know its a noob thing but I'd rather have that then keep replacing mechanical switches every year, I can replace the micro switch with the MOSFET

Patrol base do them aswell, i think most V2 boxes have micro switch tech now cause its cheaper

• Supporters

the whole trigger switch is dated and some box's and some switches can fail

quicker than others......

the switch is yanked out and flies back to a small stop pin which can break over time

(can be repaired with a small M1.6 bolt - damn small nut n bolt but repairable)

switch itself is like them old classic 1900's horror frankenstein clunk switches too

i mean ffs we live in a hi tech world but still using that crap dino switch

there are the ASCU options but they ain't cheap and usually need a bit of work

to box when fitting - am looking into this and have numerous bits I have bought

just recently - mosfet is easy bit you can probably throw one together with just

a few quid but still most mosfet's installed using dino switch setup and yank it out

place on semi - switch will be better no carbon build up but still prone to wear

think you should be able to get a QC microswitch box for about £50-ish

most may come with a slightly hot m110 or m120 spring in there but once you

got mosfet installed at least you can swap out spring quickly to say m105

or maybe m110 if the seals start to wear and fps performance drops a tad

damn I wish I lived in US sometimes:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=21&products_id=33763

Jeez duck, you sound like me when it comes to electronics :)

This is the item number for the gear box I'm on about on fleabay

• Supporters

Same as TomTac from Helmetworld

http://www.helmetworld.co.uk/toy-aeg-8mm-full-gearbox-m4-v2-front-wire-qd-quick-release-tokyo-marui-32950-p.asp

think with discount NC15 it is about same price shipped - most likely may have a m120 spring in there

but nice easy way of getting gun going again

I bought a couple from helmetworld on ebay and though not skirmished yet am impressed with them

and seem to be good quality and at least I don't get clobbered with custo,s charge risk from o/seas

you could look at HW and maybe consider a new inner if ya balls up your long-short chopping on Raider

(soz to add to shopping list but a possible consideration getting cheap tomtac 300mm barrel too)

mind you think ak2m4 does these type boxes and has a cheaper inner barrel at about 300mm

even sells stuff on fleabay too but drop him a pm and he might cut a deal for ya

yup I have spent way way too much and still looking to buy more crap but missus is doing her crunch

so best i ease off for a while - well a week or so maybe

That's cool buddy

I bought a motor and hop from ak2m4, he's a top bloke and I'll certainly deal with him again :)

I've discovered that airsoft is like any sport/hobby, the money pit gets bigger and deeper

Everything I buy for airsoft will be X3 for my 2 boys aswell :)

My weapons are the test platform before I upgrade my kids rifles

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.