Gun painting.....

Albiscuit

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Another possibly silly question, I am about to purchase a new rifle, will be either tan or black, I would prefer olive green as a base but this seems a limited choice.

So.

What would be the best way to paint it. I would like a camo pattern rather than a solid colour and was wondering what types of paint to use and the best way to achieve a good pattern.

I imagine spray paint and masking tape would be my friend in this endeavour? but wondered if anyone had any tips, of even if there were sites/places which would do it for me? This would give a much better finish I am certain and would save me messing it up.

Also how far would I need to strip the gun to not jam working parts with spray...

Has anyone painted their own gun in this way? how did it go and have you got any pics?

Thanks.

• Supporters

Dave from maple leaf tactical did a really good tutorial on this a while back.

http://thereptilehouseblog.com/

Rich from The Reptile House (you should all be following this blog, srsly) also features lots of painted guns and is worth a look at for inspiration.

As for which paints to use, I really, really rate the halfords camo paints, but krylon is also really good. If you can get it, Tamiya Ultra Flat (XF series) are the best thing since sliced bread.

These are some very cool paint jobs with tutorials. You could make stencils (print out a picture of the camo pattern and cut it out) or use natural things like leaves to create a good effect. You could also try scrim net / mesh / fishnet tights as well.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB9xdbovwX5Loe_101sHsZTsFdUl_XSWs

Hi mate, it's a lot simpler that you'll imagine, after a week of thinking about I finally grew a pair and sprayed my m4.

I kept it pretty simple, using Krylon paint, brown and khaki for the colours, and just a simple £3 scrim I got from ebay for the pattern.

I stuffed the hole for the magazine, the barrel end and taped up the glass in the scope and the end of the flash light and laser.

20140808_184851.jpg

20140808_185110.jpg

c92527c3c4b7704d3391db1ceb5c8ffc.jpg

Any questions, I'll try help you out.

Dan

Brilliant.... thats exactly what I want. Cheers boys, Dan its looks awesome, I want a more woodland effect but thats pretty much what I wana do :)

As soon as I have my gun and attachments I will grab some paint and let you all know how it goes :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.