A loadout too far

Russe11

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Goggles have arrived. The lenses are pretty heavy duty but the way they clip into the frame isn't so I have used a bit of epoxy to hold them in more securely. Just need to give them a test and good to go.

Also recieved my Burst Wizard Mosfet. It works some of the time but I do get the occasional 2 round burst. The other problem is I cannot get the screw that holds the collar with the rear sight out. The screw just turns and doesn't come out so I can't get the mosfet inside the gun :(

Guess I will have to drill it out

Goggles will take hits rather well, if you shoot them on the angle of the lens where I thought they would be weakest, it actually cuts the bb in half :)

Got the screw out of my Sten and fitted the Mosfet inside, now for no apparent reason the semi auto started working every time.

Edited by Russe11

Denim battledress has arrived, all set for a day out at Spartan Airsoft in full WW2 gear on Sunday :)

I can see now how battledress trousers are the ideal choice for getting rid of soil from an escape tunnel.

My Mk23 Socom is now officially pocket sized, actually I could almost fit my MP5 in the leg pocket :D

As there are pictures posted on the Spartan web site after each game and every other player is likely to be in boring modern gear with some sort of M4, I'm sure there will be pictures.

every other player is likely to be in boring modern gear with some sort of M4, I'm sure there will be pictures.

This is what makes me strive to do my SADF kit!

What, make it airsoft-paparazzi worth :P

No, I am not going Commando and getting out of a vehicle for you! I don't have the right hat for a commando loadout anyway :D

No, I am not going Commando and getting out of a vehicle for you! I don't have the right hat for a commando loadout anyway :D

Could always rent a road licensed Churchill or Cromwell tank and rock up to skirmishes in that :D

• Supporters

I don't have the right hat for a commando loadout anyway :D

Take the bicep part of a sleeve off a green woolly-pully, hem a turnup at the wider end and sew straight across the other end - tadaah!

Take the bicep part of a sleeve off a green woolly-pully, hem a turnup at the wider end and sew straight across the other end - tadaah!

I am allergic to wool so I don't own a woolly-pully and even if I did wearing it on my head would cause bad eczema on my forehead. Green Beret or Brodie helmet would be okay though.

• Supporters

Of course! Doh! Goldfish maneuver strikes again :lol:

You could always use polyester - I just love those bags they wore on their heads. I wonder if anyone could keep a straight face when referring to them as "hats"?

Cap comforter seems to be the term used. I think it started as a way to make helmets more comfortable?

• Supporters

Maybe that was what they were needed for, but the design clearly extended solely out of some proper penny pincher's ideas on what makes headgear!

They were issued in the War to keep heads warm under steel helmets. Up till then 'unofficial' headgear was worn.

They were very much an austerity design.

US Comforters were a lot better, they had a little 'peak' knitted on to the front.

Using a Wully-Pully sleeve isn't such a bad idea. If you get the right one they are Acrylic, not wool so you should have no problem.

For that particular commando look, a jumper would be better than battledress though. By D Day, commandos would have dressed like airbourne but with a brodie helmet rather than the airbourne one, a much easier look to achieve for me :)

So having tested the loadout in the field:

Knee and elbow pads: Can't wear them over clothing as it will look wrong, my current pads are just not comfortable worn underneath. I may have to think of a better solution

Sten: Frickin awesome at mowing down groups of enemy as they advance, may try some heavier ammo next time to get a bit more range and punch through foliage (was using .25's). Battery useage is high, I have a hunch that the Burst wizard may be sucking up battery power so may ditch it for outdoors.

Ammo pouches\mags: May have to sew in dividers so that mags can be kept organised to determine which are full/empty, or may just number them on the ends. May have to get more mags as when the shit hits the fan and serious suppression fire is needed, 6 mags really don't last long.

Comfort: Denim battledress is really comfortable. Denison smock is great for when it rains. Pocket space is a bit on the ridiculous side, hard part was remembering what was in each pocket. The fact that a MK23 Socom fits completely in an inside pocket of the denison (silencer off) says a lot.

Overall weight of the gear is rather high, it gives a good workout but it's not uncomfortable.

Oh and on another note, I have a Steel helmet for my loadout due to arrive Wed/Thurs :) A bit more weight but who cares, its a frickin WW2 airbourne helmet :)

Just do without the knee elbow pads.. I'm sure the WWII kit is plenty thick enough.

I haven't used knee or elbow pads for over two years now and I only wore them for one game

*****THE FOLLOWING PICTURE CONTAINS EXCESSIVE GINGER BEARDS*****

1901338_10152101958689079_752283595_n_zp

• Supporters

If you'd been with us at Humber Airsoft on Sunday you wouldn't dismiss knee pads so lightly, Nick. 'Kin brutal! It's a limestone quarry overgrown with pretty much just 3 plants - thorn bushes, wild roses, and moss... a nice mix of stones, big stabby thorns, small splintery thorns, and sponged up chalky water just waiting for you to squelch down into your best sniper position on...

You could maybe go with a canvas satchel, a gas mask one, or just something that could have been used to carry explosives, etc., as a dump pouch - then you wouldn't need to keep track of which mags in your pouches were empty, you wouldn't have to look at them to check numbers, and you wouldn't have to fiddle with getting empties back in the pouch, so they speed up reloads.

Looking good, Russ! Looking very good!

Edited by Ian_Gere
new pics above

Yup I look a badass with a pistol :)

• Supporters

^^Famous last words!

^^Famous last words!

I know, a minute later I got shot right on the nose :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

The entrenching tool handle looks great. Is it original or repro?

My RD-54 backpack arrived this am. Good lard, it needs some repairing before it's skirmishable! Looks like its last owner was killed with a machete! Shit... just thought what i'd written then. Bloody hope not!

The E-tool handle is 1944 dated. I will need to modify it so it can't fall out of the holder. I believe the common solution is a drawing pin pushed through from the inside of the cover.

Next items on my shopping list are: Dump pouch Gas mask bag, Brodie helmet (in case I fancy a change), Bayonet (possibly the shoot and scoot rubber one) and maybe a repro airbourne helmet liner.

I really want a Lee enfield now. Having played in woodland for the 1st time, I can see that it would have been awesome to have a high powered bolt action rifle.

Oh and in case you haven't read the lets meet up thread, I gave up on getting ideas from people and decided I'm gunna do the WW2 game and possibly stay down Portsmouth area for a Sunday game if anyone wants to join me.

• Supporters

Yeah Russ, having gone as far as you have, you need a Lee Enfield No.4 next. Deffo.

The further from Nottingham, the more of a bugger a Sunday becomes for me. But I do want something to go away to in May. My soul has been set on that path for too long for the wanderlust of my trigger finger to be denied. Or something.

Oops, almost forgot. I read that soldiers wrapped tape around both ends of the E-tool to keep it in the carrier, but i spose a pin will do until you scoot along on your arse or the like.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.