Newbie help! :) Scope for Tokyo Marui

moomachine1
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, i am brand new to the sport and looking to buy the Tokyo Marui L96 aws OD rifle.

I am really struggling to find out anything at all about scopes, i have trawled stores and forums and found out nothing about the sort of scopes these guns use.. not even any scope names or uk suppliers!

i have attached a picture of the sort of scope i am after, something beefy.. not a piddly little view finder im seeing on some of the l96's

So how does it work then? do i need scope mounts? i will have the rails already on the gun but i have no idea which scope mounts will be compatable with the rails and then which scopes will fit the mounts etc, bit of a technical nightmare really haha

would like to be spending around £50-£80 at most if possible.

If anybody could send me a link to a nice big scope and mounts which would fit the Tokyo Marui L96 i would be EXTREMELY greatful!

Thanks in advance to everybody who views/replys to this post.. about ready to pull my hair out!

Mike.

post-8672-0-39039900-1388815576_thumb.jpg

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/17294-ians-guide-to-noobism-on-a-tight-budget/

Have you read this?

Especially important is the bit telling you not to start with a sniper. Not every game is going to suit a sniper so you will need to have another weapon. Also sniping is not going to be what you expect it to be. Sniper rifles will need a lot of expensive upgrades .

Start with a G&G combat machine AEG

but if you must...http://www.amazon.co.uk/PHX-Telescopic-sight--MULTI-illuminated/dp/B00D9RFWU4/ref=sr_1_73?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1388822137&sr=1-73&keywords=scope

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/17294-ians-guide-to-noobism-on-a-tight-budget/

Have you read this?

Especially important is the bit telling you not to start with a sniper. Not every game is going to suit a sniper so you will need to have another weapon. Also sniping is not going to be what you expect it to be. Sniper rifles will need a lot of expensive upgrades .

Start with a G&G combat machine AEG

but if you must...http://www.amazon.co.uk/PHX-Telescopic-sight--MULTI-illuminated/dp/B00D9RFWU4/ref=sr_1_73?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1388822137&sr=1-73&keywords=scope

Thanks russe that scope looks brilliant, will that fit right on? also I am not planning on skirmishing with the rifle just yet, as you mentioned I need more experience, the rifle is for mainly target shooting at home for now, I am also on the market though for a decent AEG if anybody has one :)

If you search on amazon for 'scope' you will get a lot of options. Most scopes will also need a pair of mounts

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cvlife-25-4mm-Weaver-Mounts-Mount/dp/B0089IQ3U6/ref=sr_1_3?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1388872590&sr=1-3&keywords=scope+mounts

I linked the one I linked because it's built in. You want to be able to mount to a 20mm rail.

There are numbers describing each scope so 4x40 would be 4x magnification and 40mm objective lens diameter.

You can get scopes that zoom in which would be something like 3-9x40 (3x to 9x magnification)

Remember that you're using an airsoft gun so your range will not be such that you need more than about 9x magnification. Also bear in mind that the higher the magnification, the steadier you will need to hold the rifle.

If you want something big http://www.amazon.co.uk/NuoYa005-Hunting-3-9X50TA-Green-Picatinny/dp/B00HGL1NXE/ref=sr_1_29?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1388873282&sr=1-29&keywords=scope+x50

Perfect! that information there is exactly what iv been looking for, and yeah i will be using a bipod when applicable so i think the big scope should be okay, thanks russe and Baz JJ i think i know where im at with it now, just got to decide on my skirmishing AEG now! :) thinking ak74u of some description.. thanks again guys

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look here

http://www.uttings.co.uk/c543-riflescopes/page=3/

On Airsoft, they usually have rings attached to the scope and go on the rails.

I have a Wells L96 with a cheap 4x32 scope.

Wouldn't touch "hawke" with a stick.

Generally bad reviews, reported failures, the ones I've tried at a local hunting store are really shoddy quality.

• Supporters

Something else to bear in mind about high magnification (and for airsoft, 'high' means anything over 5x) your view down range is drastically narrowed, which I will get on to below.

I know, I promise you, I know... 1) bipod, rock solid... 2) range, they can't hit you... 3) scope, once set up you can't miss...

= 1) not really 2) can and does change far more rapidly than you can reset a sniper nest 3) in no way true

The 1st thing to get to grips with is that for all the money you can spend on upgrade parts (and ffs you can't arf spank some money on sniper rifle parts just to get the thing usable on a skirmish field at all) the thing which will affect your shots more than anything else is completely out of your control: moving air - I deliberately didn't say wind, because although the L<=>R adjustment on a scope is called "windage", the amount of moving air needed to alter the trajectory of even heavyweight sniper BB's in no way qualifies as even a breeze, but "fartage" doesn't have the same coolsies. Also air movement can cause BB's to rise or fall in a much more dramatic way than wind can affect the elevation of bullets.

So what? This is the stuff that practice will make perfect right? I've been sniping since the end of August and before I even started I prepared my SVD with the upgrades necessary to make it competitive. In practice I can consistently hit a man sized target at 80m, so those upgrades are working just fine. Now don't get me wrong, I have managed to pull some cracking shots out of the bag during skirmishes - but at a guess I'd say that I've only hit another player about once in every twelve to fifteen shots. Maybe I'm just shit, but the main problem is "wind" and being able to see the BB's in flight so that when i miss i can adjust my aim. Adding to that difficulty is something which as yet you'll most likely not have realised, which is that when you're shooting at even long range, not just extreme, when the BB leaves the muzzle its trajectory is such a pronounced parabola it rises out of the view of even low 5-4-3x magnification with 32-40-50mm objective lenses - there's a trick to it: opening your other eye to give you as much info as you can to adjust the rifle position and catch the BB in the scope hopefully before but at least not long after its zenith so you can see what happens to it as it approaches your target...

It would be easy if you could just keep eyes on the target through a 9x scope, see the BB miss, and move the cross hairs so that the point where the miss went in your reticle covers the target, then fire again... but for one thing BB's don't make holes like bullets and when you're looking through a scope with one eye, you don't have parallax vision to help you determine when the BB passes the target but even worse is that often you can't see the fucking thing against the background anyway and even when you can, that lack of parallax means that it's extremely difficult to see what direction it is travelling in. Believe it or not, even at much closer ranges, people with both eyes open often think that their BB is on target and hitting someone who is not taking the hit, when in fact it is dropping short by as much as 3-5m.

You get me? You don't need more than 5x and using higher magnification may help you see your target better, but will not help you hit it. 1) and 2) are much simpler - your breathing moves the rifle a lot more than you'd imagine and tracking a moving target on a bipod isn't a simple matter, plus often it's not possible to find a good place to set a bipod so that you can also get behind the butt comfortably enough to shoulder it steady / if you consider how long you could be waiting for blustery gusts to subside so that anything you fire has a chance of, if not hitting somebody, getting close enough to make them keep their heads down, and then think how fast you could cover 30m with a bit of motivation... 5s tops, eh? 80m - 30m = you are under full auto fire.

My experience so far is that sniping is at least as much, if not more, about tactics as shooting. You learn tactics by skirmishing, not sitting in bushes getting increasingly frustrated and/or depressed that you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a shovel... TBH I wouldn't bother with it at all except that my health is deteriorating and there will come a time when skirmishing with an AEG will be pretty pointless in woodland because I will not be able to move fast enough, so if I want to remain a useful asset to a team I have to resign myself to patience... -_-:ph34r::lol:

Unless you have plenty of money, say a grand, forget your sniping plans for now, garden or otherwise, and spend your money wisely... on boots, eyepro, an AEG, spare mags, gloves, clothing, and webbing.

Something else to bear in mind about high magnification (and for airsoft, 'high' means anything over 5x) your view down range is drastically narrowed, which I will get on to below.

I know, I promise you, I know... 1) bipod, rock solid... 2) range, they can't hit you... 3) scope, once set up you can't miss...

= 1) not really 2) can and does change far more rapidly than you can reset a sniper nest 3) in no way true

The 1st thing to get to grips blah blah blah....

Think this belongs in a snipers tactics thread, as very few will get the opportunity to read it once this thread dies.

• Supporters

^^Yeah, you may be right about that. I'll get on it.

Archived