Affordable walkie talkies

clumpyedge
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Eh,No problem. I'm more inclined to believe you since you're obviously more experienced with this sort of stuff. I only bought one to serve as a temp for a MILSIM game before getting a fancier Motorola or Baofeng. I did hear a few reports of the newer binatones like the 'action' and 'terrain' (What stupid names :P) series working surprisingly well in forested areas.

I think I;ll run this one I have 'till I get me a Hicapa and sort out all my other funds,then move on.

• Supporters

Yeah, at the end of the day, they all transmit 0.5W and their antenna are very similar. You get some which manage a blim better reception by using a better chip managing the squelch/pre-amp interaction, but you're not really going to notice it unless you spend enough for XTNi / XTNiD sort of quality. The main difference between the sub £100 ones is bells & whistles which we, as airsofters, hardly ever, if ever, use. The cheaper and/or crapper ones suffer more and more from distortion, but it matters where the majority of it enters the system: in the amp stage is better b/c keeping the volume low increases the signal to noise ratio, whereas before that and it's there whatever you do - the thing is the pre-amp is part of the main chip, which is why Motorola have the edge when it comes to cheaper handsets - they brand their own chips.

I own a pair of Motorola TA-200s and they're very good despite the bright colours, although I use the dark blue one and I let my mate use the bright yellow handset when we go skirmishing. He has a pouch big enough for it anyway.

I've found XTR446 radios to be fine for outdoors. If you want to look like the real deal, get yourself a faux PRC152 radio case and try a fancy PTT setup. At least that's what I'm attempting!

As Ian said, they are all much of a muchness in that they have to conform to a standard.

I doubt the Twintalker was designed for Airsofting. I suspect this has more to do with the fact that they have added some bits to the package. Also I wish suppliers would stop quoting 10Km range.

You will never attain that in practice and I think it is misleading. There seems to be a lot of BS and misconceptions about PMR 446 radios. I work with the professional stuff on much higher powers and different bands and PMR446 is basically a low range radio for the masses.

However, its fine for short range team comms - typically a few hundred metres in woodland, but remember its not secure. Anybody can listen in.

Personally I would worry more about which mic and headset to use.

dont all jump on me at once...........but.........

i went for a binatone deal that i found... was £100 for 4 radios plus battery docking stations.

if they dont work out ill sell them on just needed something quick and easy to use really.

thank you all for your advice though i have kept all the info so when i choose to upgrade and get better comms ill keep all this in mind.

the only reason i got these binatone ones is because they were being sold so close to me i would have to pay any extra for postage etc and im only paying for 1 of them essentially.

Really?

Oh well, give them a try, see how you get on.

Be careful when you buy a headset/PTT for them as if you upgrade to a better radio, you will need to match the connection which can be a bit limiting.

Archived