Gloves, Kneepads and Clothing

Kaza66
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking to get some gloves, Kneepads and clothing (shirt and trousers)

Just wondering what people recommend for good quality at a decent price.

Cheers.

It's one of those questions where you will get everyone telling you what their favorite type of kit is, and their budget.

What you need to do is this:

decide your budget

decide what type of camo/clothing you like that is within your budget

Go from there

You can pick up good ex army surplus from most European countries for around £20-£30 for the set. You can then get new gear for £50-60 a set. Knee pads are anything from £10+, same for gloves

Personally, I have some Ukranian camo that I liked the look of, that cost me £30 for the set. I have some soft viper knee pads that cost me £12 and some viper gloves that cost me the same. These have lasted me 3 years of skirmishing so far. I am starting to hanker after something new soon, but not sure what.

My advice would be get trousers that have or have the pockets for inbuilt knee pads. ALL the strpa on types will move around and fall down over the day.

I have several different makes of trousers and most have the option for knee pads. Standard issue kit (more than likely) wont.

As said pic the camo/style you like and go from there.

Gloves you cant go wrong with some viper gloves. Cheap and rock solid.

Camo wise, the world is pretty much your oyster. Check out camopedia or kamouflage and browse to find a pattern you like. Then google it to see if you can get that pattern in BDU/ACU.

I've got a pair of OD and Tan strap kneepads that will suit pretty much any camo and I've never had any issue with them slipping down, becoming loose etc. either. Just set them up right at the start of the day and you're good to go.

Gloves wise, Mechanix. Loads of variety and last for a decent time as well.

• Supporters

I forget whom but somebody on here came up with the idea of adding loops, like belt loops, to the sides of kecks to feed knee pad straps through, to stop them slipping. I haven't got around to it yet, but I intend to.

Viper or British Army Northern Ireland gloves are good allrounders, IMO: water resistant leather, padded on the back, do up at the wrists so they'll not slip much, sorta warm... but the padding doesn't protect against hits as much as you'd imagine. Not to be a wimp or anything, but a close range hit on the thumb knuckle hurt so much it pretty much paralysed my thumb for a couple of days, and that was through Kevlar & Pyrohide gloves! Leather gloves make it difficult to do anything fiddly also.

Still, I'd recommend the Viper's for cold/damp/wet weather, as a good bargain, and the type with plastic armour on the back for summer - you can get them fingerless, but probably better to cut just the tips off a full fingered pair. Even with the tips in place they are easier to feel through than leather. If you get concerned about protection from pyros and can't afford Pyrohide, you can get fire resistant AFV crew gloves for less than a fiver on fleabay, but they're probably not much use on their own.

Thanks for the replies guys! Will soon be making an informed purchase.

Also looking to purchase a G&G xtreme 45. Anyone have any experience with these and what do you think?

Thanks

• Supporters

I've used Mean & Green online shop before because you can get cashback from online purchases from them through TopCashback. TBH though, most of their stuff is overpriced. They do get a few bits in really cheap occasionally though - I bought a festival tent kit with 2 sleeping bags and mats + 4 LED lit tent pegs for a fiver from them a couple of years ago lol! Bag o' shite of course, but no worse than £50's worth at a camping shop...

• Supporters

+1 on the www.military1st.co.uk recommendation. Helikon stuff seems to be pretty good (bought some BDU trousers from them) and the Mil-Tec gear for vest/webbing/belts etc is a good price for what you get.

I bought Mechanix gloves though (M-Pact Tactical) which are the mutts. Good grippy synthetic leather palm and reinforcements with a breathable stretch back and moulded knuckle protection. Nice gloves.

Archived